Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 63

Thread: Missouri school punished blind child by replacing cane with pool toy

  1. #31
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,968

    Re: Missouri school punished blind child by replacing cane with pool toy

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I'm sorry
    You should be. Your posts in this thread are an egregious affront to decency and intelligence.
    - usually when someone defends actions outlined in a story that means they think what happened is great.
    Usually when someone says, verbatim, "No, my argument is that we don't know the real story. So it would be unwise to pass judgment on anyone.", then it means their argument is that they don't know the real story and it would be unwise to pass judgment.

    I didn't realize you were one of those posters who posts cryptic messages
    There was nothing cryptic at all about what I said. If you think me explicitly saying, "No, my argument is that we don't know the real story. So it would be unwise to pass judgment on anyone." is cryptic, then that sounds like the problem isn't so much with honesty, but rather with intelligence.

    and I'm supposed to read between the lines to understand what you're really saying.
    No one wants you to read between the lines, I want you to read what I actually say and not create a strawman fallacy.

    Is that really so hard for you?

  2. #32
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,046

    Re: Missouri school punished blind child by replacing cane with pool toy

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    You should be. Your posts in this thread are an egregious affront to decency and intelligence.
    Usually when someone says, verbatim, "No, my argument is that we don't know the real story. So it would be unwise to pass judgment on anyone.", then it means their argument is that they don't know the real story and it would be unwise to pass judgment.

    There was nothing cryptic at all about what I said. If you think me explicitly saying, "No, my argument is that we don't know the real story. So it would be unwise to pass judgment on anyone." is cryptic, then that sounds like the problem isn't so much with honesty, but rather with intelligence.

    No one wants you to read between the lines, I want you to read what I actually say and not create a strawman fallacy.

    Is that really so hard for you?
    Oh, so you don't think what they did was right then. Then why didn't you just say so?

    I missed the lies you mentioned. What lie did this child tell exactly? You still haven't said. And what is the "real story" I've missed. They really didn't take away his cane? That isn't what the school said. So tell me what I've missed (and spare me the righteous indignation in the posts). Just say it.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #33
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,046

    Re: Missouri school punished blind child by replacing cane with pool toy

    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    Generally, blind people use canes as a sensory aid - to explore the space around them for obstacles. Not to lean on. Unless this child has another disability than blindness, a pool noodle could certainly be used to poke around and explore his surroundings. Is it as good as a cane? Nope, but it seems to me that it would be usable. Is it potentially embarrassing to have a large, neon-colored, floppy pool noodle rather than a sleek, functional blind-man's cane? Sure. But if the hitting charge is credible, then removal of the weapon and a little embarrassment are certainly reasonable consequences for that wrong action.

    -AJF
    Apparently his parents objected to the size of the noodle. They said he couldn't grasp it because of the size. We have pool noodles which are put away, but I also have trouble wrapping my hand around one. And I'm a lot bigger than this child is.

    If the school felt he needed something to keep his hands occupied, I'm not sure a pool noodle is the best choice for that either. They can also hurt when you're hit with them.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  4. #34
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,368

    Re: Missouri school punished blind child by replacing cane with pool toy

    An oldie: at least they didn't make him read the waffle iron.
    People in Dubai don't like the Flintstones but people in Abu Dhabi do

  5. #35
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,648

    Re: Missouri school punished blind child by replacing cane with pool toy

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    And if a child hits another with an object, we take the object away.
    Except you would have to justify the removal of the accommodation under the legal protections afforded to students with disabilities.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  6. #36
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,046

    Re: Missouri school punished blind child by replacing cane with pool toy

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Except you would have to justify the removal of the accommodation under the legal protections afforded to students with disabilities.
    My company had to make a multi-million dollar investment in one of our major products (software) due to the Dodd-Frank reform that requires the removal of greens and reds on the screens in order for color blind people to be able to process what they need to. Color blind people. Imagine what they would think of forcibly removing this blind child's cane assuming that's what happened?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  7. #37
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: Missouri school punished blind child by replacing cane with pool toy

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    I know most school buses come with cameras these days. Have you seen the footage? Do you know the student didn't hit another with the cane?

    SO ****ING WHAT?


    is that appropriate treatment? Humiliation might be a prerequisite in the schools you attend but this is grotesque! This is punishment not discipline.

    Kids hit kids all the time. This kid is totally blind, it's not like he's going to become a serial hitter or some ****.

    What the **** do they do with able bodied kids? Take away their clothes?

    You know what this is? This is about dealing with 'special needs'. It's much more work and time consuming and the "professionals" in education hate it. They're just taking it out on a blind kid, the sick bastards.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  8. #38
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,648

    Re: Missouri school punished blind child by replacing cane with pool toy

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    I'm glad you don't work in schools. We already have enough problems with students lying, the last thing we need is more adults doing it too.
    Oh stop it. Let's not act like you have any high ground on this subject. Some of us already know your attitude toward students with disabilities. Spare us the teacher pedestal act. You practically act like Section 504 and IDEA should be abolished.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 12-19-14 at 06:31 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  9. #39
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,319

    Re: Missouri school punished blind child by replacing cane with pool toy

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    I never said you did. Not everything is adversarial.

    No, my argument is that we don't know the real story. So it would be unwise to pass judgment on anyone.

    I work at a school in Missouri. So if we're comparing who has more authority on this topic...
    But they don't keep them. They return them at the end of the day, or when a parent comes to pick up the item.

    It's incredibly relevant. The school purchased the cane for the student to help the student...but if the student is just using it as a weapon, they have every right to take it back.

    We have taken away kids access to the Internet at school numerous times, which prevents them from doing their research online, forcing them to use extra effort to get their assignment done. So don't tell me schools don't do this kind of thing.

    I didn't say that. I said an aide is better for a student than a cane, and that's 100% correct.

    I teach students with vision impairments. Again, if we're comparing who has more authority on the topic...
    They didn't take his eyes, they took the weapon.
    Is he using the crutches to assault another student?

    No, it's just another example of how those who want to be outraged will always find a way to do so, and the facts be damned.
    No, this is another example of improperly disciplining a child. More evidence that there are people working in our school system that have absolutely no business doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #40
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,884

    Re: Missouri school punished blind child by replacing cane with pool toy

    It certainly demonstrates that common sense (never mind common decency) isn't all that common.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •