Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63

Thread: Missouri school punished blind child by replacing cane with pool toy

  1. #21
    Why so un**great?
    DifferentDrummr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Facepalm Beach
    Last Seen
    06-04-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,818
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Missouri school punished blind child by replacing cane with pool toy

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    Oh my it's another sensationalist piece from FOX news that doesn't give all the facts. No surprise there. At least they are not blaming Obama this time.
    Give it time; I'm sure they'll figure out a way to work him in.
    I fight against the ignorant, irresponsible, and/or closed-minded.
    This group is the worst enemy of America and its freedoms. It includes, but is not limited to, all Trump supporters.

  2. #22
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Missouri school punished blind child by replacing cane with pool toy

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    Oh my it's another sensationalist piece from FOX news that doesn't give all the facts. No surprise there. At least they are not blaming Obama this time.
    So what are the facts that are missing in the story?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #23
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,967

    Re: Missouri school punished blind child by replacing cane with pool toy

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I also know of cases where parents lie. I don't recall saying anything otherwise?
    I never said you did. Not everything is adversarial.

    So is your argument that you just don't believe the story?
    No, my argument is that we don't know the real story. So it would be unwise to pass judgment on anyone.

    By the way, do you have kids in school? I do.
    I work at a school in Missouri. So if we're comparing who has more authority on this topic...
    They are most certainly allowed to take away things from children that we parents bought.
    But they don't keep them. They return them at the end of the day, or when a parent comes to pick up the item.

    So "The school did buy the cane" is not relevant to my post.
    It's incredibly relevant. The school purchased the cane for the student to help the student...but if the student is just using it as a weapon, they have every right to take it back.

    And no, the punishment for kids doesn't usually involve taking away their school books so they can't participate.
    We have taken away kids access to the Internet at school numerous times, which prevents them from doing their research online, forcing them to use extra effort to get their assignment done. So don't tell me schools don't do this kind of thing.

    And as far as an aide being better for a kid than his own cane so he can be independent
    I didn't say that. I said an aide is better for a student than a cane, and that's 100% correct.

    I know blind people.
    I teach students with vision impairments. Again, if we're comparing who has more authority on the topic...
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Then punish the kid, don't take his eyes away from him.
    They didn't take his eyes, they took the weapon.
    What if he was on crutches? You take his crutches away?
    Is he using the crutches to assault another student?

    This is another example of how education and intelligence aren't the same thing.
    No, it's just another example of how those who want to be outraged will always find a way to do so, and the facts be damned.

  4. #24
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Missouri school punished blind child by replacing cane with pool toy

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    I never said you did. Not everything is adversarial.

    No, my argument is that we don't know the real story. So it would be unwise to pass judgment on anyone.

    I work at a school in Missouri. So if we're comparing who has more authority on this topic...
    But they don't keep them. They return them at the end of the day, or when a parent comes to pick up the item.

    It's incredibly relevant. The school purchased the cane for the student to help the student...but if the student is just using it as a weapon, they have every right to take it back.

    We have taken away kids access to the Internet at school numerous times, which prevents them from doing their research online, forcing them to use extra effort to get their assignment done. So don't tell me schools don't do this kind of thing.

    I didn't say that. I said an aide is better for a student than a cane, and that's 100% correct.

    I teach students with vision impairments. Again, if we're comparing who has more authority on the topic...
    They didn't take his eyes, they took the weapon.
    Is he using the crutches to assault another student?

    No, it's just another example of how those who want to be outraged will always find a way to do so, and the facts be damned.
    Okay, you think it's great that the school took away the cane from a blind kid. I don't. Humiliation by noodle isn't my idea of an appropriate way to deal with this.

    I'm glad you teach kids with vision impairments.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #25
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,680

    Re: Missouri school punished blind child by replacing cane with pool toy

    Quote Originally Posted by BrewerBob View Post
    Not enough info. If the kid is actually hitting kids with it they need to do something but it should be in consultation with the parents.
    BINGO!!! There's not enough information available to make a valid judgment. For all we know the kid is a little brat who uses his blindness as an excuse to be a bully. Or he might be the greatest kid you've ever met and is getting the shaft from an over-reactive official. We don't know enough and what we do know is coming primarily from one side and not the other. If there is an issue with the kid, then a solution that works to deal with his behavior in such a way as to keep both him and his classmates safe needs to be found.
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  6. #26
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,967

    Re: Missouri school punished blind child by replacing cane with pool toy

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Okay, you think it's great that the school took away the cane from a blind kid.
    Is it dishonesty which led you to a conclusion I've directly refuted multiple times? I never said anything like that at all, but that didn't stop you from lying about it anyways.

    Humiliation by noodle isn't my idea of an appropriate way to deal with this.
    No, your idea is to bastardize what anyone has said and use your lies to ascribe to them positions they never took, all because you discovered your dealing with someone who knows far more about what happens at a school than you do.

    I'm glad you teach kids with vision impairments.
    I'm glad you don't work in schools. We already have enough problems with students lying, the last thing we need is more adults doing it too.

  7. #27
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Missouri school punished blind child by replacing cane with pool toy

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Is it dishonesty which led you to a conclusion I've directly refuted multiple times? I never said anything like that at all, but that didn't stop you from lying about it anyways.

    No, your idea is to bastardize what anyone has said and use your lies to ascribe to them positions they never took, all because you discovered your dealing with someone who knows far more about what happens at a school than you do.

    I'm glad you don't work in schools. We already have enough problems with students lying, the last thing we need is more adults doing it too.
    I'm sorry - usually when someone defends actions outlined in a story that means they think what happened is great. I didn't realize you were one of those posters who posts cryptic messages and I'm supposed to read between the lines to understand what you're really saying.

    By the way, everyone keeps talking about the lies that were told - now including you. What lies were told here specifically? And what are the facts that everyone is missing in this story? And what did this child lie about?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #28
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,165

    Re: Missouri school punished blind child by replacing cane with pool toy

    He doesn't need his cane to sit in a seat. If he gets agitated without something to hold, then something like a noodle, which he can't hurt anyone with, is an acceptable substitute. Unless he was expected to also use it as a mobility aid, which is completely unacceptable.
    Last edited by Manc Skipper; 12-19-14 at 04:08 PM.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  9. #29
    Educator applejuicefool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,196

    Re: Missouri school punished blind child by replacing cane with pool toy

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    He doesn't need his cane to sit in a seat. If he gets agitated without something to hold, then something like a noodle, which he can't hurt anyone with, is an acceptable substitute. Unless he was expected to also use it as a mobility aid, which is completely unacceptable.
    Generally, blind people use canes as a sensory aid - to explore the space around them for obstacles. Not to lean on. Unless this child has another disability than blindness, a pool noodle could certainly be used to poke around and explore his surroundings. Is it as good as a cane? Nope, but it seems to me that it would be usable. Is it potentially embarrassing to have a large, neon-colored, floppy pool noodle rather than a sleek, functional blind-man's cane? Sure. But if the hitting charge is credible, then removal of the weapon and a little embarrassment are certainly reasonable consequences for that wrong action.

    -AJF

  10. #30
    Sage
    Roadvirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,132

    Re: Missouri school punished blind child by replacing cane with pool toy

    Whether he hit someone or not, taking away the cane is a violation of his rights as a disabled person. That can get the power of the Feds dropped on your head.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •