Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 249

Thread: Sony Cancels Theatrical Release for ‘The Interview’ on Christmas

  1. #141
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,028
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Sony Cancels Theatrical Release for ‘The Interview’ on Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The **** are you talking about? Seriously, you're talking absolute nonsense. Your comment is seemingly based on nothing but your own bigotry based on my political lean, because it's absolutely not based on anything I've actually SAID.

    Indicating that the notion of liability is not as clear cut as it was in aurora doesn't equate to, or in any way take a stance on, whether or not we should "give in to terrorists".

    Indeed, in every other thread I've participated in on this subject I've unabashedly criticized Sony...claiming that they're not doing the "right thing" here by giving into terrorist demands, and mocking the fact that they're basically sending the message that threats of violence will get you whatever you want.

    How about instead of wallowing in your bigotry and reading everything through the scope of your prejudices, you just read what people actually right and stop making giant assumptive leaps of what they actually mean based on nothing but their ideological lean.
    Sony would not be held responsible. It's really that simple. You're flipping out because I called you out for what you are.
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  2. #142
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,939

    Re: Sony Cancels Theatrical Release for ‘The Interview’ on Christmas

    Also, suggesting that Sony is worried about more damaging things leaking...whether it be more racist comments by executives or insults to actors/actresses or whatever else...is not about "another case of PC run amok".

    It's about business.

    Once the theaters decided to pull the movies, the potential value of putting it through some other form of distribution currently like VOD (while the issue is hot) or DVD (which would likely come out long after the controversy died and people stopped caring) likely didn't outweigh the potential fiscal pain that another damaging leak could cause.

    My guess is Sony thinks the hackers still have something significantly damaging, one that makes the gamble worth more than what they'd be able to get in a VOD deal with Netflix or even with their own fledgling streaming company, Crackle.

  3. #143
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Sony Cancels Theatrical Release for ‘The Interview’ on Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    KYLE: You see, I learned something today. Throughout this whole ordeal, we've all wanted to show things that we weren't allowed to show, but it wasn't because of some magic goo. It was because of the magical power of threatening people with violence. That's obviously the only true power. If there's anything we've all learned, it's that terrorizing people works.

    JESUS: That's right. Don't you see, gingers, if you don't want to be made fun of anymore, all you need are guns and bombs to get people to stop.

    SANTA: That's right, friends. All you need to do is instill fear and be willing to hurt people and you can get whatever you want. The only true power is violence.
    I'm sorry, did you say "Bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeep?"

    (Man I was pissed off that day)

  4. #144
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,176

    Re: Sony Cancels Theatrical Release for ‘The Interview’ on Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    Nope--neither the studios nor theaters have any liability for someone coming in and massacring theater goers, unless (possibly if) a prior threat was already called in from an external source.

    As an example, Warner Bros. didn't lose a dime during the Aurora 2012 massacre.
    You just contradicted yourself in your first paragraph. You said neither the studio nor theaters have any liability unless forewarned. Well duh, what do you think has happened?
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  5. #145
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,939

    Re: Sony Cancels Theatrical Release for ‘The Interview’ on Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    Sony would not be held responsible. It's really that simple. You're flipping out because I called you out for what you are.
    I'm "flipping out" because you ignorantly called me out for something I've never said, intimated, or suggested.

    Are you somehow ignorant of what you yourself just wrote a few posts up? Here, let me post it for you

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    I'm noticing a trend about these people who put their tails between their legs, hide under the bed, and give in to terrorists while making flimsy excuses to do so.
    Notice how nothing about you post, what so ever, was talking about whether or not Sony "would be held responsible"...but was rather an accusation that I put my tail between my legs and "give in to terrorists".

    Yeah, see...that's the part that was not based on any reality and instead based on your prejudice, plain and simple, because I never suggested that.

    Not to mention, I never claimed that Sony WOULD be held responsible. I simply suggested that it's ambiguous and not nearly as cut and dry as what was referenced (aurora) because of the presence of the publicly known (regardless of how it's become known) broad threat...something that wasn't present for the Colorado shooting. I'm sorry that saying SOMETHING FACTUAL bothers you so much and crazily turns into "giving in to terrorists" when done by someone with the lean you're prejudiced against....but sadly that kind of inane and nonsensical thinking is your own problem.

  6. #146
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,270

    Re: Sony Cancels Theatrical Release for ‘The Interview’ on Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Although the real risk is miniscule, it is a lot easier, and less controversial to risk your own safety than it is to take a risk that innocent people will be harmed, especially when you run a huge business and the potential victims are your employees and loyal customers.


    There is more likely a risk that you would be shot by two cops and struck by lightning in the same day than to be attacked by a N. Korean "terrorist".


    If I had nothing to hide, I'd run it. I'd take that gamble as I already have 200 million on the table.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #147
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,176

    Re: Sony Cancels Theatrical Release for ‘The Interview’ on Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Can you name any mainstream Hollywood movies with a pro-communist message?
    I can think of some - "Reds" comes to mind, and it won a boatload of Oscars. "The Way We Were" could be considered another.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  8. #148
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,176

    Re: Sony Cancels Theatrical Release for ‘The Interview’ on Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Not everyone runs away from a fire, just sayin.
    99.9% do, especially if their job doesn't involve running towards a fire. Why do you think it's illegal to yell "fire" in a movie theater? Is it because the audience would get stampeded by all those people running in off the street to put out the blaze?
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  9. #149
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,176

    Re: Sony Cancels Theatrical Release for ‘The Interview’ on Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    Zyphlin's Lean: Conservative.

    I'm noticing a trend about these people who put their tails between their legs, hide under the bed, and give in to terrorists while making flimsy excuses to do so.
    What an asinine piece of crap.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  10. #150
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,028
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Sony Cancels Theatrical Release for ‘The Interview’ on Christmas

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I'm "flipping out" because you ignorantly called me out for something I've never said, intimated, or suggested.

    Are you somehow ignorant of what you yourself just wrote a few posts up? Here, let me post it for you



    Notice how nothing about you post, what so ever, was talking about whether or not Sony "would be held responsible"...but was rather an accusation that I put my tail between my legs and "give in to terrorists".

    Yeah, see...that's the part that was not based on any reality and instead based on your bigotry, plain and simple, because I never suggested that.

    Not to mention, I never claimed that Sony WOULD be held responsible. I simply suggested that it's ambiguous and not nearly as cut and dry as what was referenced (aurora) because of the presence of the publicly known (regardless of how it's become known) broad threat...something that wasn't present for the Colorado shooting. I'm sorry that saying SOMETHING FACTUAL bothers you so much and crazily turns into "giving in to terrorists" when done by someone with the lean you're prejudiced against....but sadly that kind of inane and nonsensical thinking is your own problem.
    You've just proven my point. Whether Sony should release the movie is cut and dry regardless of your gutless and hackneyed efforts to make it seem ambiguous.

    Sony is acting cowardly and you're making excuses that try to make it seem reasonable to acquiesce to terrorists threats.
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •