Page 9 of 73 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 726

Thread: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Are you talking about Rubio or Menendenz?
    Rubio, Learning those ongoing issues with Hillary.

    Menendez will speak out anyways, as he has nothing to lose.

  2. #82
    Sage
    Roadvirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,156

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    And the protests in Little Havana will now commence.

    Anyone want to place bets on how long it takes them to start burning Obama in effigy?

  3. #83
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,475

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years | Reuters

    I'm actually cautiously optimistic about this. We've had a rather odd relationship with Cuba ever since their fight for independence 100+ years ago but simple proximity makes some kind of normalization a matter of practicality.
    has anyone considered the political aspect?

    OK, they claim the door was opened by the release of an American, but negotiations through the Vatican and Canada started 18 months ago or April of 2012.

    What led to that? I wonder about the Latino vote, as with "amnesty" this sets up a solid Latino bloc for them doesn't it? Especially in EC vote rich Florida.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  4. #84
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,484
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years | Reuters

    I'm actually cautiously optimistic about this. We've had a rather odd relationship with Cuba ever since their fight for independence 100+ years ago but simple proximity makes some kind of normalization a matter of practicality.
    Traded three spies for an aid worker.

    Not smart... as brutal regimes could see this as an opportunity to use Americans as "bargaining chips".
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  5. #85
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,484
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    has anyone considered the political aspect?

    OK, they claim the door was opened by the release of an American, but negotiations through the Vatican and Canada started 18 months ago or April of 2012.

    What led to that? I wonder about the Latino vote, as with "amnesty" this sets up a solid Latino bloc for them doesn't it? Especially in EC vote rich Florida.
    I don't think Cubans that escaped the regime and are living in the US are too pleased about this.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  6. #86
    Sage
    Roadvirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,156

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Not smart... as brutal regimes could see this as an opportunity to use Americans as "bargaining chips".
    Obama's too stupid to realize this. He hasn't learned a damn thing since the Bergdahl mess.

  7. #87
    Professor
    JoeTrumps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Memphis
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 09:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,570

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    I'm not an expert on this issue, but won't this only strengthen the Castro brothers hold and power as well as legitimize their regime to the rest of the non-communist world?

  8. #88
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,475

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    I don't think Cubans that escaped the regime and are living in the US are too pleased about this.
    Do you know any?

    From being in Cuba I know many would like to reunite with their families and send money back home which is illegal.

    I suspect it will be embraced heartily
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  9. #89
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,930
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTrumps View Post
    I'm not an expert on this issue, but won't this only strengthen the Castro brothers hold and power as well as legitimize their regime to the rest of the non-communist world?
    Diplomatic relations to be restored. Shortly after which, US tourists will be spending their bucks in Cuba.

    How long do you think the Cuban's will be able to remain communist? I'm thinking not all that long. Even hardened communist China soften from this to their present hybrid system, which continues to erode the Communist's influence and control, and Cuba is vastly smaller both in land mass and people.
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  10. #90
    Black Is Smart
    Van Basten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The New New Frontier
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,661

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Which is why I oppose this. US investment and tourism will ruin it.
    What a stupid comment.

    New wealth will flow in, all the better for the Cuban people.

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Diplomatic relations to be restored. Shortly after which, US tourists will be spending their bucks in Cuba.

    How long do you think the Cuban's will be able to remain communist? I'm thinking not all that long. Even hardened communist China soften from this to their present hybrid system, which continues to erode the Communist's influence and control, and Cuba is vastly smaller both in land mass and people.
    China smartened up and gave up on that communist drivel years ago, it's just communist in name alone. I'd expect a similar thing for Cuba as things improve for them.

    I remember reading about Raul trying to open things up in Cuba economically even before this.
    Last edited by Van Basten; 12-17-14 at 06:01 PM.
    "We have more responsibility than power, I think. The newspaper can create great controversies, stir up arguments within the community or discussion, can throw light on injustices....just as it can do the opposite. It can hide things and be a great power for evil." -- Rupert Murdoch, 1968

Page 9 of 73 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •