Page 68 of 73 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast
Results 671 to 680 of 726

Thread: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

  1. #671
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,535

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So, the fact that our system is not a perfect one, gives you the right in your head to ignore laws you don't like?
    Not only is it not a perfect one, but the glaring fact that this bastion of liberty finds it necessary to incarcerate more people than anyone else demonstrates a need for serious reform.
    Unless, of course, you think that Americans are just more likely to be scofflaws than anyone else.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #672
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Not only is it not a perfect one, but the glaring fact that this bastion of liberty finds it necessary to incarcerate more people than anyone else demonstrates a need for serious reform.
    Unless, of course, you think that Americans are just more likely to be scofflaws than anyone else.
    Are they picked up for their beliefs? Are they just walking down the street and being 'disappeared'? Now, is everyone ever jailed guilty of a crime? No. But, do we have a system where they get their day in court? Sure we do....What is your "fix" to our system? You have a better one?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #673
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,535

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Are they picked up for their beliefs? Are they just walking down the street and being 'disappeared'? Now, is everyone ever jailed guilty of a crime? No. But, do we have a system where they get their day in court? Sure we do....What is your "fix" to our system? You have a better one?
    We have a much better one than do nations where people are "disappeared" just walking down the street, to be sure. If our system doesn't need reform, though, how is it that we have more prisoners than the British, the French, the Italians, the Spanish? Are Americans just more prone to break laws? If that's so, why? This issue should be a motive for a bit of introspection, and not simply comparing our society to that of places like North Korea.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #674
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Not only is it not a perfect one, but the glaring fact that this bastion of liberty finds it necessary to incarcerate more people than anyone else demonstrates a need for serious reform.
    Unless, of course, you think that Americans are just more likely to be scofflaws than anyone else.
    One thing is certain. No one can be too critical of the USA, and anyone who doesn't constantly criticize is hopelessly naive. We even have posters favorably comparing Cuba to the US.

  5. #675
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    We have a much better one than do nations where people are "disappeared" just walking down the street, to be sure. If our system doesn't need reform, though, how is it that we have more prisoners than the British, the French, the Italians, the Spanish? Are Americans just more prone to break laws? If that's so, why? This issue should be a motive for a bit of introspection, and not simply comparing our society to that of places like North Korea.
    Yeah, just what the country needs. More 'introspection'.

  6. #676
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    We have a much better one than do nations where people are "disappeared" just walking down the street, to be sure. If our system doesn't need reform, though, how is it that we have more prisoners than the British, the French, the Italians, the Spanish? Are Americans just more prone to break laws? If that's so, why? This issue should be a motive for a bit of introspection, and not simply comparing our society to that of places like North Korea.
    I'm not a criminologist, so to speak authoritatively on the subject of reform is not for me to do. But, I would wager that very few of us on here have a background in that field, including you Ditto, so what we have are our own opinions...Mine is that maybe we have too many laws on the books...
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #677
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,271

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So, the fact that our system is not a perfect one, gives you the right in your head to ignore laws you don't like?
    No, that doesn't give me the right and power to break any law I please.

    What gives me the right is that sovereignty thing, individual sovereignty.

    Now, when I do that I do understand that I may be caught doing it, arrested, and charged according to the rules. And be willing to do the time, if that's what it requires. Like those Irish guys in that movie some years ago.

    When I'm driving in a pack of other cars doing 15 over the speed limit on the interstate I don't think about it that much. As Louis Brandeis noted a century ago, the law will be respected when it is respectable. Ditto for the men enforcing it. Illegitimate laws DO exist.

  8. #678
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    No, that doesn't give me the right and power to break any law I please.

    What gives me the right is that sovereignty thing, individual sovereignty.

    Now, when I do that I do understand that I may be caught doing it, arrested, and charged according to the rules. And be willing to do the time, if that's what it requires. Like those Irish guys in that movie some years ago.

    When I'm driving in a pack of other cars doing 15 over the speed limit on the interstate I don't think about it that much. As Louis Brandeis noted a century ago, the law will be respected when it is respectable. Ditto for the men enforcing it. Illegitimate laws DO exist.
    If there is what you determine as "illegitimate laws" then you as a citizen don't get to just ignore them, you should work to either change them, or have them removed from the books...But no, you don't get to just ignore the law that you disagree with.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #679
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Congress had already amended the travel restrictions in 2010 for Americans to travel to Cuba.
    Congress had already been working on legislation to open a new embassy in Havana.
    Congress had already started discussions in opening up banking in Cuba.

    Obama made it sound like there was nothing being done to reach those goals. There is a divide on both sides of the aisle on how to proceed with Cuba. And for good reason. The Cuban-American population is very unhappy with Obama at the moment. They know this does nothing to bring freedom to the Cuban people. Only getting rid of Castro and his regime will.

    I question the timing of Obama's latest E.O. You see Russia is a big trade partner and friend with Cuba. The Ruble tanked yesterday. Venezuela is a big trade partner with Cuba. Venzuala's economy is on the skids as well. You think Obama could have done a better deal getting the two Americans back, neither one spies but were unjustly imprisoned without releasing 3 Cuban spies who killed 4 Americans. Cuba is hurting economically because of its partners. But then again it's not surprising considering he was willing to release several vicious terrorists from Gitmo in exchange for one U.S. deserter.

    Edit- And Obama stated in his announcement this afternoon that sanctions don't work. So why the Hell does he keep piling them on in Iran, in North Korea and Russia at the moment?
    Marco Rubio is an ass and just mad that Obama stole his thunder. Yeah...we'll be waiting and waiting and waiting....and so will the Cuban people.

    And hey, maybe Obama did it so Rubio cant take credit later and (supposedly) increase his chance at the White House.

    Seems like perfectly normal politics to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #680
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Traded three spies for an aid worker.

    Not smart... as brutal regimes could see this as an opportunity to use Americans as "bargaining chips".
    Who cares? Spies...big deal. The better relations become, the less relevant they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 68 of 73 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •