Page 49 of 73 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 726

Thread: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

  1. #481
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Hey Kobie, why dont you extend this logic to the war on poverty as well? Is it because its a means to get democrat party votes?
    What does the war on poverty have to do with the USA and CUBA restoring diplomatic relations, US Conservative?
    Not to mention your diversion to being a means to get 'democrat party" votes !
    Physics is Phun

  2. #482
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    What does the war on poverty have to do with the USA and CUBA restoring diplomatic relations, US Conservative?
    Not to mention your diversion to being a means to get 'democrat party" votes !
    Just that its a stunning hypocrisy! But then again, the left has never been about consistency except in appeasing dictators and well, hypocrisy. Oh and feeling great about failure.

  3. #483
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,492

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    I love those people. Best two weeks I ever spent in a warm-weather destination was in Cuba. I selfishly want there to be no opening of the border to American tourism but I really hope for more prosperity and a more liberal government for those people.
    It's a unique experience travelling there, staying in casas particulaire, eating in paladares, crowding into small venues with wonderful music and pro baseball in small ballparks and the atmosphere is without exception welcoming for the Canadian and European tourists.


    The more liberal government is happening, albeit slowly.

    I too fell in love with the place, the people are among the best in the Caribbean. It is so unspoiled, so honest, I would hate to see it become another Dominican Republic or Barbados.

    The music! So much so good and like you say in this tiny little venues. But the food......what they can do with ham and pickles is to die for.

    And yes, I have been welcomed in few places as I have there, it seems to them Canadians rock.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  4. #484
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    So now yer on to appeasing dictators, yer next diversion eh US Conservative.
    With a little hypocrisy sprinkled on top .

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Just that its a stunning hypocrisy! But then again, the left has never been about consistency except in appeasing dictators and well, hypocrisy. Oh and feeling great about failure.
    Physics is Phun

  5. #485
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,917

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    So now yer on to appeasing dictators, yer next diversion eh US Conservative.
    With a little hypocrisy sprinkled on top .
    Meh, I pay it little heed. Pretty much par for the course for our buddy.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  6. #486
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,492

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Greetings, Vesper.

    China has an unusual system, but it works for them. They took the best from our system and meshed it with theirs, it appears. They even encourage their people to buy gold and silver, and hang on to what they buy - no in-and-out trading! Wonder what they're thinking? They are spearheading the effort to have a basket of currencies to replace our "petro-dollar" as the accepted global currency, too, and I read recently that the IMF may be in favor of that. They seem to think very long range as supposed to us, but they are making it work for them, plus they have become a trading partner with Russia, and many other large countries around the world while we're bogged down in a religious war in the ME. They have even been trading with Cuba for a long time, and although I don't see the benefit from that, they must or they wouldn't bother. Interesting people....


    China has changed a great deal. The Chinese are very different, they LIKE totalitarian government. My late wife and I entertained a foreign exchange student who was afraid here because you seldom see police, no one stops anyone on the street to check papers and you can do way too many things without a permit.

    She said she only felt safe in China, even Hong Kong was too "permissive".

    They want to be left alone to make lots and lots of money to pay for their ancestors in heaven and have all the other decisions made for them.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  7. #487
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,917

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    China has changed a great deal. The Chinese are very different, they LIKE totalitarian government. My late wife and I entertained a foreign exchange student who was afraid here because you seldom see police, no one stops anyone on the street to check papers and you can do way too many things without a permit.

    She said she only felt safe in China, even Hong Kong was too "permissive".

    They want to be left alone to make lots and lots of money to pay for their ancestors in heaven and have all the other decisions made for them.
    I've heard a lot of people from China who come here are spooked by the lack of overt police presence because they're so used to being monitored that they assume it's everywhere, and they'd rather be monitored by someone (or something) they can see rather than someone or something they can't.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  8. #488
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    So now yer on to appeasing dictators, yer next diversion eh US Conservative.
    With a little hypocrisy sprinkled on top .
    Appeasing commie dictators, its Obama's style.

  9. #489
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Um, yeah, things are much different now.

    The Cold War has been over for more than 20 years, yet some insist on continuing to fight it. Reminds me of the stories of shipwrecked Japanese sailors who were rescued decades after WWII but refused to believe the war had ended.
    Yes, the Cold War is over and thus their has been no suppression of human rights since then. Whew!

  10. #490
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,492

    Re: U.S., Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    I've heard a lot of people from China who come here are spooked by the lack of overt police presence because they're so used to being monitored that they assume it's everywhere, and they'd rather be monitored by someone (or something) they can see rather than someone or something they can't.

    True.

    It's also about crime, which has always been a plague in China. They are a brutal people to each other sometimes, odd because when you are exposed to the culture - I lived with it for 17 years - you see it is deep and rich with 'honor' through humility the prize.

    Having an intrusive government to them is safety. However, as Mao and his followers found out, they can only go so far in trampling the masses.

    You also have to realize that "Chinese" does not exist...it is not a nation but a collection of racial sub-types with nine full languages and 27 sub languages and over 200 dialects


    The People of Sezchuan look little like the people of Gansu, the people of Hong Kong in the south have little in common with the people of Shanghai and neither even resemble Mongolian..
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

Page 49 of 73 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •