Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 218

Thread: N.C. teen's hanging death ruled a suicide; mother says it was a lynching

  1. #81
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: N.C. teen's hanging death ruled a suicide; mother says it was a lynching

    I had s friend when I was 18 (Best friend at the time) who proceeded to take money out of the bank, worked out with his girlfriend, and went for a bike ride. After he got back from his bike ride, he told his girl friend to wait outside while he sneaked into his parents basement window. Three minutes later he shot himself in the face and was killed instantly. By all accounts, it was a pretty normal day, and the girl friend nor any of his friends, myself included had ANY idea he was feeling this way.

    There may be something to this story as not all stories are the same, but when it comes to suicide, it's usually the people closest to the individual that have no idea, this poor kids Mom included.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  2. #82
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: N.C. teen's hanging death ruled a suicide; mother says it was a lynching

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    I had s friend when I was 18 (Best friend at the time) who proceeded to take money out of the bank, worked out with his girlfriend, and went for a bike ride. After he got back from his bike ride, he told his girl friend to wait outside while he sneaked into his parents basement window. Three minutes later he shot himself in the face and was killed instantly. By all accounts, it was a pretty normal day, and the girl friend nor any of his friends, myself included had ANY idea he was feeling this way.

    There may be something to this story as not all stories are the same, but when it comes to suicide, it's usually the people closest to the individual that have no idea, this poor kids Mom included.


    Tim-
    Pretty much. I had a friend back in Compton who was by all means was well on his way to the NBA by 14 years of age. He was putting up Kobe numbers against guys who were 10 year older than him. By Compton standards, he had a perfect life, perfect girlfriend and parents who weren't rich, but had steady jobs and had stayed away from drugs in the early 90s (this is a bit of an accomplishment in 1990s California). One day after school, Jamie goes into his garage, hangs himself. The suicide note said "I can't take it anymore. I'm sorry." - Nobody saw it coming. When I mean nobody, I mean nobody. Not his parents. Not his teammates. Not his girlfriend. Not his friends. It was really sad because he literally could have become the next big thing in the NBA if he had kept going (and this is coming from someone who takes such claims with a grain of salt). Anywho, yeah I'll hold judgement on this until more evidence comes forward. It seems unlikely that somebody would just up and decide to hang themselves, but from personal experience, it's not impossible.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #83
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: N.C. teen's hanging death ruled a suicide; mother says it was a lynching

    We don't know if this was a lynching or not, but this definitely needs to be investigated much more deeply.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  4. #84
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: N.C. teen's hanging death ruled a suicide; mother says it was a lynching

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I gotta say you're right. Lynchings were historically carried out because there was a perceived crime or moral offense. The most famous cases of lynchings all followed the same trajectory. Emmett Till was lynched for the supposed crime of hitting on a white woman. The Committee of Vigilance was started to supposedly address crime. There really is no context in which lynchings weren't used in order to address perceived crimes, whether they actually happened or not.
    Exactly, the basis of a lynch is that someone is accused of a legal crime, whether that crime is assault, murder, what-have-you. And then said person is killed without trial, not sure why agent J was getting into all this bullcrap about being accused of "perceived crimes" there is no such thing in terms of the legal definition of a crime.

    simplified legal definition of a crime from a legal dictionary = "A violation of a law."

    He used the non-legal definition of crime and I don't think the crime used in lynch referred to that crime, but rather, the legal definition of crime (which is way less general than the other crime which is simply "any horrendous act (there are tons of horrendous but LEGAL acts) due to the second part of the definition of lynching which is "without a legal trial."

    One does not go to trial because someone accuses them of a perceived crime like "HE CHEATED ON ME." Bull****, you go to court because you actually violated a law, not because someone whines.

    Agent J doesn't really know how to do anything though other than all caps and shout "FACTS, LINK, DICTIONARIEZ ON MY SIDE, FACTS, LINK, DICTIONARIEZ, YOU'RE 100% FALSE, FACTS ALWAYS WIN, FACTS ALWAYS WINS."
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  5. #85
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: N.C. teen's hanging death ruled a suicide; mother says it was a lynching

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    Exactly, the basis of a lynch is that someone is accused of a legal crime, whether that crime is assault, murder, what-have-you.
    Eh, not always. I agree with the rest but Emmett Till wasn't lynched for committing a "legal crime". He flirted with a white woman. That wasn't a crime. The people who lynched him just thought it was a personal offense (which is why I specifically referenced it in my post). The rest you're right about, but lynchings are about a perceived offence. Whether that offense is a crime or moral offense is another topic but lynchings didn't always occur because a crime was thought to have occurred. They happened when a group of people felt an offense of some sort had been committed.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #86
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: N.C. teen's hanging death ruled a suicide; mother says it was a lynching

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    N.C. teen's death a lynching, mother says - CNN.com


    North Carolina protesters call for fresh probe in teen's hanging | Reuters
    FBI investigating possible lynching - ABC57 News - See the Difference Michiana
    Ruled a suicide, black teen
    North Carolina teen's hanging ruled a suicide, but was it a lynching? - LA Times

    I wasnt there, dont know what happened but the amount of questions, things that done add up and short comings on the reports and investigation all leave me with an OPINION there was some type of foul play and this wasnt a suicide.

    Like the person(s) who burned that girl up I hope they catch them, its very quick justice and death penalties.

    just to rehash some of the concerns according to the articles:

    - he packed a gym back, washed close and sports equipment and lied out some clothes before leaving to exercise
    - took a selfie of himself before so
    - a 52yr old woman made the 911 call and supposedly removed the 207lb teen from where he was hanging
    - Lennon was 5-foot-9. The crossbar of the swing set frame he was found hanging from was 7-foot-6 and nothing at the scene to explain how he would of hung himself
    - belts (possible dog leashes) that were used werent his, they also werent cut which would have probably been needed to bring the teen down
    - the shoes he was found in were not his and 2 sizes too small, and these shoes never made it into the medical examiners office.

    seems way to shady to me not to be some type of foul play
    He was a black dude in a small, mostly White town with an older White girlfriend who was found hanged. The police department in that town swept it under the rug instead of investigating it even though several elements of his death were suspicious. Sounds like something straight out of the 1950s - A group of White guys are pissed that a Black guy is dating a White woman - they kill him and, since it's a small racist town, get the police to cover it up.

  7. #87
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,722

    Re: N.C. teen's hanging death ruled a suicide; mother says it was a lynching

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    And very few if any people in NC today care about such things enough to kill a young man over it.
    You don't think so? I disagree.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #88
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,730

    Re: N.C. teen's hanging death ruled a suicide; mother says it was a lynching

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    He was a black dude in a small, mostly White town with an older White girlfriend who was found hanged. The police department in that town swept it under the rug instead of investigating it even though several elements of his death were suspicious. Sounds like something straight out of the 1950s - A group of White guys are pissed that a Black guy is dating a White woman - they kill him and, since it's a small racist town, get the police to cover it up.
    Hanlon's Razor (variation attributed to Einstein) - "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice."

    From what I've read the mother isn't buying the suicide story in large part because the official account makes no sense, and because the police did an apparently poor job of investigating. Seems she's being pretty rational, and from what I've read just wants a competent investigation that explains some of what appears unexplainable at this point.

    BTW, this happened in N.C. and I couldn't locate their definition of the crime of lynching, but here's how S.C. law describes the act: https://web.archive.org/web/20070626...DE/t16c003.htm

    SECTION 16-3-210. Lynching in the first degree.

    Any act of violence inflicted by a mob upon the body of another person which results in the death of the person shall constitute the crime of lynching in the first degree and shall be a felony.
    Doesn't appear it matters at all why the mob engaged in the act.... So, if "two or more people" decided to kill the guy because they didn't like the shoes he was wearing (pick any reason, or no reason), it's a lynching in S.C. at least.

  9. #89
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: N.C. teen's hanging death ruled a suicide; mother says it was a lynching

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I gotta say you're right. Lynchings were historically carried out because there was a perceived crime or moral offense. The most famous cases of lynchings all followed the same trajectory. Emmett Till was lynched for the supposed crime of hitting on a white woman. The Committee of Vigilance was started to supposedly address crime. There really is no context in which lynchings weren't used in order to address perceived crimes, whether they actually happened or not.
    he was actually claiming the opposite, his stance was it was always a LEGAL crime, NOT perceived and by definition that was false so you actually disagree with him
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #90
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: N.C. teen's hanging death ruled a suicide; mother says it was a lynching

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    Exactly, the basis of a lynch is that someone is accused of a legal crime, whether that crime is assault, murder, what-have-you. And then said person is killed without trial, not sure why agent J was getting into all this bullcrap about being accused of "perceived crimes" there is no such thing in terms of the legal definition of a crime.

    simplified legal definition of a crime from a legal dictionary = "A violation of a law."

    He used the non-legal definition of crime and I don't think the crime used in lynch referred to that crime, but rather, the legal definition of crime (which is way less general than the other crime which is simply "any horrendous act (there are tons of horrendous but LEGAL acts) due to the second part of the definition of lynching which is "without a legal trial."

    One does not go to trial because someone accuses them of a perceived crime like "HE CHEATED ON ME." Bull****, you go to court because you actually violated a law, not because someone whines.

    Agent J doesn't really know how to do anything though other than all caps and shout "FACTS, LINK, DICTIONARIEZ ON MY SIDE, FACTS, LINK, DICTIONARIEZ, YOU'RE 100% FALSE, FACTS ALWAYS WIN, FACTS ALWAYS WINS."
    this was already proven false, repeating it wont change that fact, also the other post doesnt actually agree with you because they said PERCEIVED crime, they understand the definition.

    this is why you wont answer my question
    for further info please refer to post 62

    facts win again
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •