Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 218

Thread: N.C. teen's hanging death ruled a suicide; mother says it was a lynching

  1. #91
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,803

    Re: N.C. teen's hanging death ruled a suicide; mother says it was a lynching

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Eh, not always. I agree with the rest but Emmett Till wasn't lynched for committing a "legal crime". He flirted with a white woman. That wasn't a crime. The people who lynched him just thought it was a personal offense (which is why I specifically referenced it in my post). The rest you're right about, but lynchings are about a perceived offence. Whether that offense is a crime or moral offense is another topic but lynchings didn't always occur because a crime was thought to have occurred. They happened when a group of people felt an offense of some sort had been committed.
    100% correct, LEGAL crime doesnt matter
    just like many lynchings its based on the judgement/feelings/perception of they lynchers not legality
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #92
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,803

    Re: N.C. teen's hanging death ruled a suicide; mother says it was a lynching

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    He was a black dude in a small, mostly White town with an older White girlfriend who was found hanged. The police department in that town swept it under the rug instead of investigating it even though several elements of his death were suspicious. Sounds like something straight out of the 1950s - A group of White guys are pissed that a Black guy is dating a White woman - they kill him and, since it's a small racist town, get the police to cover it up.
    Dont know if it goes that deep but it definitely seems like foul play to me and there definitely needs to be a deeper outside investigation.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #93
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,803

    Re: N.C. teen's hanging death ruled a suicide; mother says it was a lynching

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    You don't think so? I disagree.
    Id have to disagree also, not saying thats what happened yet just saying I dont agree with the words "very few if any people in NC today care about such things", that ill never agree with. I have family in NC and thats not the case compared to pittsburgh, pa. By personal experience its much more racist than Pittsburgh. But again that doesnt mean this was in fact based on such.

    Now as far as the "killing" over race is concerned id like to think that NOBODY in america could do something so irrational and evil but thats not the case.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #94
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: N.C. teen's hanging death ruled a suicide; mother says it was a lynching

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    100% correct, LEGAL crime doesnt matter
    just like many lynchings its based on the judgement/feelings/perception of they lynchers not legality
    It's not as simple as saying "legal crime" doesn't matter. An offense was required for a lynching to take place. That offense was often interpreted by the crowd to be a crime. The middle ground between your argument and his is that yes, crimes mattered but only in the sense that crowds lynched when they thought a crime (in the legal, religious, or moral sense) had been committed. Crowds that lynched people abided by both a law of the land mentality and violations of secular laws to justify lynching. So yes, crimes did matter, but only because they were used within the wider definition which includes offenses to their personal values.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #95
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,803

    Re: N.C. teen's hanging death ruled a suicide; mother says it was a lynching

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    It's not as simple as saying "legal crime" doesn't matter. An offense was required for a lynching to take place. That offense was often interpreted by the crowd to be a crime. The middle ground between your argument and his is that yes, crimes mattered but only in the sense that crowds lynched when they thought a crime (in the legal, religious, or moral sense) had been committed. Crowds that lynched people abided by both a law of the land mentality and violations of secular laws to justify lynching. So yes, crimes did matter, but only because they were used within the wider definition which includes offenses to their personal values.
    actually in context to this discussion thats been going on yes it is . . the definition makes it that easy . . . it COULD be legal crime it could also just be a perceived crime, it could be either, the definition makes it that way not me. I never said if its legal that negates anything only that the legal(adj) part doesnt matter, just the crime/offense part.

    you are actually saying what i have said the entire time you just dont know it lol

    There is no MIDDLE between me and him. There was no "real" argument, i presented the facts and definition of the word and he tried (and failed) to argue against them. Guess you didnt read the whole thread (i dont blame you) or misunderstood. There are facts and he was factually wrong. Why was he wrong? simply because i gave him an example of what a lynching COULD be and he said it was false. That example was this:

    A black man is hung by a group for dating a white woman, they hung him for dating a white women and they believe that is wrong.

    he stated that this would not be a lynching because the black kid wasnt hung for a LEGAL crime, his statement was 100% false. He STILL denies this fact.

    So instead of getting off track ill be sticking to the only real item in question here. Is my example and statement true? COULD that be an example of lynching? yes or no
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #96
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: N.C. teen's hanging death ruled a suicide; mother says it was a lynching

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Not common, perhaps, but hardly rare.

    Lynching Statistics

    Of course since these statistics are almost 50 years old, the numbers will have increased.
    Rare is the more accurate description.
    As the stats you use include those that are quite old and really not relevant to today.
    Had you used the other link, you would have seen the breakdown by year.
    Which clearly shows it is quite rare past the 1950's, especially considering population increase.


    Lynching Statistics by Year
    The law is reason, free from passion.
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  7. #97
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: N.C. teen's hanging death ruled a suicide; mother says it was a lynching

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    I had s friend when I was 18 (Best friend at the time) who proceeded to take money out of the bank, worked out with his girlfriend, and went for a bike ride. After he got back from his bike ride, he told his girl friend to wait outside while he sneaked into his parents basement window. Three minutes later he shot himself in the face and was killed instantly. By all accounts, it was a pretty normal day, and the girl friend nor any of his friends, myself included had ANY idea he was feeling this way.

    There may be something to this story as not all stories are the same, but when it comes to suicide, it's usually the people closest to the individual that have no idea, this poor kids Mom included.


    Tim-
    There is a lot of truth to this.

    As for this case, if the evidence presented is true, then there could be more to the story. But a mother simply stating "my son would not kill himself," is not a valid reason at all to reinvestigate.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  8. #98
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,788

    Re: N.C. teen's hanging death ruled a suicide; mother says it was a lynching

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    It's not as simple as saying "legal crime" doesn't matter. An offense was required for a lynching to take place. That offense was often interpreted by the crowd to be a crime. The middle ground between your argument and his is that yes, crimes mattered but only in the sense that crowds lynched when they thought a crime (in the legal, religious, or moral sense) had been committed. Crowds that lynched people abided by both a law of the land mentality and violations of secular laws to justify lynching. So yes, crimes did matter, but only because they were used within the wider definition which includes offenses to their personal values.
    In South Carolina, that's not the case. Read the law - all a "Lynching" required per the statute was:

    1) mob (two or more people)
    2) "any" act of violence
    3) leading to death.

    So the motive could be anything that a crowd could come up with - being black and in the wrong place at the wrong time might be enough of an "offense."

  9. #99
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,788

    Re: N.C. teen's hanging death ruled a suicide; mother says it was a lynching

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    There is a lot of truth to this.

    As for this case, if the evidence presented is true, then there could be more to the story. But a mother simply stating "my son would not kill himself," is not a valid reason at all to reinvestigate.
    That's not really at all what she said - it's more like "my son wouldn't take off his brand new sneakers, put on shoes he doesn't own two sizes too small, and hang himself with belts/dog leashes that aren't his, etc... and the police have offered no answers why/how this COULD be the case." There do appear to be some big holes in the story so far.

  10. #100
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,186

    Re: N.C. teen's hanging death ruled a suicide; mother says it was a lynching

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Funny, the KKK and the other white terrorists of the 'old' south never seemed to have too much trouble in lynching anybody.
    That's funny to you?

    I don't think anyone here thinks what they did decades ago in the "old south" was funny, and unless I misread the OP, this topic isn't about something that happened in the "old south". I thought this young man died recently.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •