Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 272

Thread: 84 children killed as Taliban storm school [W:171]

  1. #41
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: 84 children killed as Taliban storm school

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    And still not word of sympathy for the children. Conservatives are cold and lack empathy.
    It goes without saying. But if it makes you feel better, I have the greatest sympathy for the loss. I know personally what it's like to lose a child. Two in fact.

  2. #42
    Advisor youngturk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Istanbul
    Last Seen
    03-19-16 @ 05:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    430

    Re: 84 children killed as Taliban storm school

    Update : At least 126 people killed, most of them children

  3. #43
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: 84 children killed as Taliban storm school

    Children...ugh..what it the matter with the world? This is just heartbreaking.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #44
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    11-28-17 @ 04:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,690

    Re: 84 children killed as Taliban storm school

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Education is dangerous for the Taliban. They know that. Religious organizations lose their monopoly
    If you are arguing that education allows people greater control over their lives, that's one thing. It certainly undercuts the appeal of extreme or radical entities (e.g., that's one of the reasons the Boko Haram terrorist organization is so opposed to education). If you are suggesting that education renders organized religion irrelevant or obsolete, that's quite another. The existence of faith does not require one not to be educated. Education does not require one to abandon faith. There are many highly-educated people in myriad professions who are also quite active in their religious organizations, as their faith and their works within the context of their faith given them an added sense of purpose and meaning.

  5. #45
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: 84 children killed as Taliban storm school

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    Considering a child dies of malnutrition every what? 15 seconds? I just can't get that worked up about it anymore.

    The Taliban is doing what they always do... Kill lots of people. This time it happened to be a group of kids. I just can't get that worked up about it anymore.
    Thank goodness the US release 5 of their generals from Gitmo then. Whew.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #46
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: 84 children killed as Taliban storm school

    Quote Originally Posted by youngturk View Post
    Yes it is and I know it better than the others.
    sadly it IS Islam. Islam is monotheistic, but also sectarian and various interpretations, the current horrors are Salafi brand

    Don’t Fear All Islamists, Fear Salafis
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/20/op...afis.html?_r=0

    A common denominator among disparate Salafi groups is inspiration and support from Wahhabis, a puritanical strain of Sunni Islam from Saudi Arabia. Not all Saudis are Wahhabis. Not all Salafis are Wahhabis, either. But Wahhabis are basically all Salafis. And many Arabs, particularly outside the sparsely populated Gulf, suspect that Wahhabis are trying to seize the future by aiding and abetting the region’s newly politicized Salafis — as they did 30 years ago by funding the South Asian madrassas that produced Afghanistan’s Taliban
    Last edited by annata; 12-16-14 at 10:04 AM.

  7. #47
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: 84 children killed as Taliban storm school

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    Absolute hogwash. Some of the finest schools are religious. Some beliefs may be adversarial like creationism for example, but this has nothing to do with religion or education as a whole or being adversarial. That is just nonsense.
    Well of course there are fine education institutions with ties to religion, but that does not negate the basic premise that human advancement tends to push religion to adapt or die off. Religion, at its core, is about social control and order. Education (science) tends to push those understandings and as such are adversarial to what religion requires. Systems of faith are inherently in conflict with systems of understanding.

    Again, we can argue about the differences between the major religions out there all you would like. But when it comes to Islam, education is a huge obstacle to the social controls and order that Islamic literalism and extremism demands. We know it is factual, we have dead kids exclusively because of what education presents to those that cling to these beliefs.

    To see how other religions handled this, we may have to do a little history here to make those points. As I said, Islam is furthest behind the curve.
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  8. #48
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,265

    Re: 84 children killed as Taliban storm school

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    If you are arguing that education allows people greater control over their lives, that's one thing. It certainly undercuts the appeal of extreme or radical entities (e.g., that's one of the reasons the Boko Haram terrorist organization is so opposed to education). If you are suggesting that education renders organized religion irrelevant or obsolete, that's quite another. The existence of faith does not require one not to be educated. Education does not require one to abandon faith. There are many highly-educated people in myriad professions who are also quite active in their religious organizations, as their faith and their works within the context of their faith given them an added sense of purpose and meaning.
    That is well observed and points to the different experiences of most of Europe and the US.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: 84 children killed as Taliban storm school

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Children...ugh..what it the matter with the world? This is just heartbreaking.
    Mornin JMac. I am hearing one Teacher dead too.

  10. #50
    Advisor youngturk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Istanbul
    Last Seen
    03-19-16 @ 05:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    430

    Re: 84 children killed as Taliban storm school

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    Well of course there are fine education institutions with ties to religion, but that does not negate the basic premise that human advancement tends to push religion to adapt or die off. Religion, at its core, is about social control and order. Education (science) tends to push those understandings and as such are adversarial to what religion requires. Systems of faith are inherently in conflict with systems of understanding.

    Again, we can argue about the differences between the major religions out there all you would like. But when it comes to Islam, education is a huge obstacle to the social controls and order that Islamic literalism and extremism demands. We know it is factual, we have dead kids exclusively because of what education presents to those that cling to these beliefs.

    To see how other religions handled this, we may have to do a little history here to make those points. As I said, Islam is furthest behind the curve.
    As a science student i can definitely say that science and religion are quite adversarial but most scientists are scared to say that

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •