Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 48

Thread: African-American grand jury to examine evidence in the Michael Brown shooting

  1. #31
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,344

    Re: African-American grand jury to examine evidence in the Michael Brown shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by BrewerBob View Post
    Grand juries take their lead from the prosecutor. It is almost unheard of for GJs to go against the desires of the Prosecutor. It is not an adversarial system. The Prosecutor has full control of the reins, which is ok if the Prosecutor is impartial.
    They do not take their lead from the prosecutor. Nor do they decide guilt or innocence. Their sole responsibiity is to decide whether or not the evidence is sufficient to bring the case to trial.

    Grand juries are picked randomly from the jury pool. The prosecutor has no input into the selection process, nor does he have any for cause recusals available. Any prospect having connections to any of the principles in the case would be excused. The evidence, including the prosecutors arguments as to why the case should go forward, is examined, and the finding is made. IMO, that's about as impartial as the system can be made.

    Since there are other ways for the prosecutor to bring a case to trial, the prosecutor is not apt to waste his or the GJ time in cases unlikely to be found winnable.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,313

    Re: African-American grand jury to examine evidence in the Michael Brown shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    African-American grand jury to examine evidence in the Michael Brown shooting

    ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI) – African-American community leaders say they’re taking action to put justice back into the hands of black people. They say they will convene a black grand jury on January 3rd and 4th to look at the evidence in the Michael Brown shooting.

    Those grand jury members will go over the evidence presented to the St. Louis County Grand Jury. They also say they will call Darren Wilson, County Prosecutor Bob McCulloch, Ferguson Mayor James Knowles and Governor Jay Nixon to testify.

    “What it does is educates and informs our people that two bodies came together, examined the same set of evidence, and were able to come to different conclusions. Therefore, the only thing standing between us and our ability to carry out the will of the people is to change this relationship that exists between us and the armed state apparatus that controls us.” said Omali Ye****ela of the African People’s Socialist Party.

    Regardless of the decision made by this grand jury, it will have no legal bearing on the case.


    African-American grand jury to examine evidence in the Michael Brown shooting | FOX2now.com


    A predetermined conclusion?
    The idiots must think this is a good idea.
    LOL !!

    I'm sure they will be completely objective.

    Its essentially a Kangaroo court and a waste of time.

  3. #33
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: African-American grand jury to examine evidence in the Michael Brown shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon;1064086255[B
    ]I would be pleasantly surprised if they came to the same conclusion as the real GJ did[/B], but even if they did I doubt that would change anything.
    That would be astonishing, as the purpose of an all Black mock up Grand Jury is to find the exact opposite.
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  4. #34
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,344

    Re: African-American grand jury to examine evidence in the Michael Brown shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by BrewerBob View Post
    By impartial I mean having a prosecutor who doesn't work with the people he is prosecuting. It isn't a difficult concept. Prosecutors need the support of their local police to do their job and the support of the police union when elections are involved. It is in the prosecutor's best interest not to get on the cops' bad sides.
    Do you have any idea what the role of the prosecutor before the GJ is? He presents his reasons why the case should go forward. That's it. Done. Doesn't get to bring witnesses, doesn't cross examine witnesses, has no idea the names of the jurors.

  5. #35
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,913

    Re: African-American grand jury to examine evidence in the Michael Brown shooting

    I have confidence in the jury system. Every single person I personally have known who has served on a jury, including a federal jury, has been sober-minded, earnest, and thoughtful.

  6. #36
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: African-American grand jury to examine evidence in the Michael Brown shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I have confidence in the jury system. Every single person I personally have known who has served on a jury, including a federal jury, has been sober-minded, earnest, and thoughtful.
    You hit the sauce already today?
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  7. #37
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    728

    Re: African-American grand jury to examine evidence in the Michael Brown shooting

    Yea cuz black people have been known to be fair and impartial

  8. #38
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,466

    Re: African-American grand jury to examine evidence in the Michael Brown shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by twixie1 View Post
    So really what you are saying is that a bunch of black people are going to investigate the crime..and find Michael Brown innocent..I can't see that changing anything..apart all those black people have just wasted their time!
    What does Brown have to do with this?

    The grand Jury was empaneled to decide if Wilson was guilty of something. There will be no finding of anything having to to do with Brown.

  9. #39
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,466

    Re: African-American grand jury to examine evidence in the Michael Brown shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by BrewerBob View Post
    Well I don't believe this particular GJ they are putting together will be impartial.

    But I believe a properly put together GJ and an outside Prosecutor would have resulted in an indictment. As for any following trial? I don't know. I am more concerned about the integrity of the system then the results of any particular case.
    When you say "properly put together" do you mean that only certain people should be on a grand jury depending on who the defendant is?

    Please define "properly put together"

  10. #40
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,830

    Re: African-American grand jury to examine evidence in the Michael Brown shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabanist View Post
    Yea cuz black people have been known to be fair and impartial
    If only they were fair and impartial like us white people, eh?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •