Page 44 of 57 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 567

Thread: Study: The 2007 minimum wage hike cost more than 1 million jobs during the recession

  1. #431
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Study: The 2007 minimum wage hike cost more than 1 million jobs during the recess

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Sangha, what I'm pointing out is that the standard is ridiculous because it is obvious that all jobs are not monopsonistic. I am making what is known as a reductio ad absurdum argument.

    You kind of tick me off sometimes, Sangha, but dude, man to man, please stop making yourself look stupid.
    Then you're very confused because arguing that he's wrong because not all jobs are monopsynies makes no sense when he did not claim that all jobs are monopsynies.

    Reductio ad absurdum is when you use the others argument to show how it leads to an absurd result. Since no one argued that all jobs are monopsynies, you're not using anyone's argument; You're using a straw man.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #432
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,081

    Re: Study: The 2007 minimum wage hike cost more than 1 million jobs during the recess

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Then you're very confused because arguing that he's wrong because not all jobs are monopsynies makes no sense when he did not claim that all jobs are monopsynies.
    He argued that if there were more workers than employers, that that was a standard for monopsony. That is a characteristic of all job fields. If A = B and B = C does A = C?

    Reductio ad absurdum is when you use the others argument to show how it leads to an absurd result. Since no one argued that all jobs are monopsynies, you're not using anyone's argument; You're using a straw man.
    feel free to show all those job fields that are characterized by more individual firms than individual workers. Because if not, then his argument leads to an absurd result.
    Last edited by cpwill; 12-18-14 at 11:44 AM.

  3. #433
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Study: The 2007 minimum wage hike cost more than 1 million jobs during the recess

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    He argued that if there were more workers than employers, that that was a standard for monopsony.
    No, he didn't

    That is a characteristic of all job fields.
    No, it's not

    You are very confused. You don't know what the argument is, and you don't know what the facts about the job market are.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #434
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,081

    Re: Study: The 2007 minimum wage hike cost more than 1 million jobs during the recess

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill
    he argued that if there were more workers than employers, that that was a standard for monopsony
    No, he didn't
    Post 259

    ...it doesn't absolutely have to be just one buyer, just that the number of sellers have to significantly outnumber the amount of buyers. So it seems at least somewhat fitting to me...


    Reading.jpg



    No, it's not
    Then please. Demonstrate the industries that A) hire people and B) are marked by more companies than employees.

  5. #435
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,971
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Study: The 2007 minimum wage hike cost more than 1 million jobs during the recess

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    You mean nobody is admitting to talking about it.

    Really poor deflection.

    Perhaps you'd like to prove a similar desire to ignore the relevant points in my post?
    I could give two ****s if someone can live off of their wage...what I WANT, if for them to BUY more crap. I NEED them to buy more crap, so I can employ more people to make and SELL them more crap, so I can make more money MANAGING those people.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  6. #436
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Study: The 2007 minimum wage hike cost more than 1 million jobs during the recess

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    I could give two ****s if someone can live off of their wage...what I WANT, if for them to BUY more crap. I NEED them to buy more crap, so I can employ more people to make and SELL them more crap, so I can make more money MANAGING those people.
    Perhaps YOU could do a BETTER JOB finding crap for PEOPLE to BUY. ONE DAY you MIGHT LEARN THAT.

  7. #437
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,971
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Study: The 2007 minimum wage hike cost more than 1 million jobs during the recess

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Perhaps YOU could do a BETTER JOB finding crap for PEOPLE to BUY. ONE DAY you MIGHT LEARN THAT.
    There's plenty of crap for people to buy. There AREN'T currently enough people with money to burn to buy all the crap out there to buy.


    In other words, production exceeds demand.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  8. #438
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,580

    Re: Study: The 2007 minimum wage hike cost more than 1 million jobs during the recess

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Perhaps YOU could do a BETTER JOB finding crap for PEOPLE to BUY. ONE DAY you MIGHT LEARN THAT.
    Most people already purchase all the crap they can afford. We buy 'til we aint got no more money. Just coming up with more crap, can't induce more buying, when the limiting factor isn't the crap that is available, it's the money that is available.

    Seriously, can YOU not find ample crap to buy? Is your local Walmart and Best Buy empty? Is the car dealer sold out of cars? Are all the cruises sold out? Is your barber shop out of haircuts? McDonalds can't make any more Bigmacs?
    Last edited by imagep; 12-18-14 at 08:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  9. #439
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Study: The 2007 minimum wage hike cost more than 1 million jobs during the recess

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Post 259

    ...it doesn't absolutely have to be just one buyer, just that the number of sellers have to significantly outnumber the amount of buyers. So it seems at least somewhat fitting to me...


    Reading.jpg
    Speaking of the reading rainbow, do you know what the word "significantly" means or did you just ignore it because it's outside of your vocabulary?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #440
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Study: The 2007 minimum wage hike cost more than 1 million jobs during the recess

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    There's plenty of crap for people to buy. There AREN'T currently enough people with money to burn to buy all the crap out there to buy.


    In other words, production exceeds demand.
    Then you're selling the wrong mix of crap. Production will ALWAYS exceed demand. A smart owner will find ways to DEAL WITH IT. I've managed to do that for over 30 years.

Page 44 of 57 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •