Page 85 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
Results 841 to 850 of 982

Thread: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

  1. #841
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    You and Dick Cheney seem to be the only people under that delusion.
    Well, good. Two of us are on the right side of history. You are not.

  2. #842
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Nothing cute , only disgusting ! This whole thing, going back centuries, ..our hatred, intolerance, against minorities and foreigners ..
    Shame on US ! Its high time we licked our wounds and started to act with maturity and dignity ..

  3. #843
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Well, good. Two of us are on the right side of history. You are not.
    Your opinion, Misterveritis, your sick opinion, Mr Conservative... And I am certain that there are a great many more on your side.... We are far from being a civilized nation ...maybe another 500 years ..

  4. #844
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,719

    Re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Since I'm not right wing your generalization fails. There were some mistakes, as always happens in war. Those do not invalidate the general proposition. The language of human rights has become has become nothing more than a political tool in our hypocritical age.
    Right, independent, an embarrassed republican.

    I'm really not sure what your point is in this discussion. You've pointed out many times that one can't compare our interrogation program with that of the Japanese and others, which is true. We did have medical personnel on hand most of the time, and few died, and that's not an accident. So why is that? I like to think it's because we're a fundamentally decent people, most especially including our troops.

    So it's odd that you'll point out the examples that prove we ARE at some level, and certainly at the ground level, 'better' in some fundamental way than the Japanese or Nazis or jihadists, and then dismiss any discussion of what is at the core of those differences. I don't think the core is we're better because we ran a little less brutal interrogation program than they did. It should be we fundamentally reject the idea of a legitimate torture program in every way based on some notion of human rights, not that we ran one that is different in kind but not in substance - we fit ours in a legal box.

  5. #845
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Right, independent, an embarrassed republican.

    I'm really not sure what your point is in this discussion. You've pointed out many times that one can't compare our interrogation program with that of the Japanese and others, which is true. We did have medical personnel on hand most of the time, and few died, and that's not an accident. So why is that? I like to think it's because we're a fundamentally decent people, most especially including our troops.

    So it's odd that you'll point out the examples that prove we ARE at some level, and certainly at the ground level, 'better' in some fundamental way than the Japanese or Nazis or jihadists, and then dismiss any discussion of what is at the core of those differences. I don't think the core is we're better because we ran a little less brutal interrogation program than they did. It should be we fundamentally reject the idea of a legitimate torture program in every way based on some notion of human rights, not that we ran one that is different in kind but not in substance - we fit ours in a legal box.
    You may be interested in watching an interview with the man who headed the interrogation of the 9\11 terrorists. It's riveting, and please watch it to the end.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zpIGr8w85Y

  6. #846
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,735
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Right, independent, an embarrassed republican.

    I'm really not sure what your point is in this discussion. You've pointed out many times that one can't compare our interrogation program with that of the Japanese and others, which is true. We did have medical personnel on hand most of the time, and few died, and that's not an accident. So why is that? I like to think it's because we're a fundamentally decent people, most especially including our troops.

    So it's odd that you'll point out the examples that prove we ARE at some level, and certainly at the ground level, 'better' in some fundamental way than the Japanese or Nazis or jihadists, and then dismiss any discussion of what is at the core of those differences. I don't think the core is we're better because we ran a little less brutal interrogation program than they did. It should be we fundamentally reject the idea of a legitimate torture program in every way based on some notion of human rights, not that we ran one that is different in kind but not in substance - we fit ours in a legal box.
    As soon as a Repub advocates open borders or a national income floor, as I do, I'll reconsider my affiliation. As for the rest, I'm a simple man. We do our best to be as kind as we can, but we would be fools to deny ourselves the tools of survival in a world that is becoming more, not less, barbaric.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #847
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Nothing cute , only disgusting ! This whole thing, going back centuries, ..our hatred, intolerance, against minorities and foreigners ..
    Shame on US ! Its high time we licked our wounds and started to act with maturity and dignity ..
    That won't be easy given the number of leftists the schools are turning out.

  8. #848
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,523

    Re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    That won't be easy given the number of leftists the schools are turning out.
    Yep. That's what education does to people.

    I realize that's quite threatening to some.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  9. #849
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    The GWB administration rejected the law enforcement model and adopted the warfare model specifically to free themselves from the constraints imposed by preparing cases for trial. "Unlawful combatant" is a recognized term in international law and our adversaries certainly qualified. You need to study this issue.
    They didn't reject anything, they went in functionally as imperial police occupying force and called it "war". Unlawful combat is a term defined, but we don't know that everyone in Gitmo is because there's no oversight to check. Which is what I said. You just need to actually read instead of responding emotionally to arguments you've imagined in your head.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #850
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    I doubt that you will ever know.

    We have no reason to keep anyone who is not a threat. Many thousands were captured. How many ended up in secret prisons? Less than 200? How many had harsh interrogations? Less than one hundred? How many experienced near drowning? Three.
    So it is claimed, but not verified. There's nothing in place to ensure we are picking up only combatants.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 85 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •