Page 54 of 99 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
Results 531 to 540 of 982

Thread: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

  1. #531
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Or left in detention with life sentences.
    Nah, I disagree. These are either the worst of the worst or they don't belong there. Death or release and that should have happened no more than a year after they were first captured. If we can't drain them of info and/or determine their status as enemies of the US in that period of time, release them or tribunal and death.

  2. #532
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    The ones that got to Guantanamo were the very worst. Thousands of the small fish who were captured overseas were questioned and released. It was only where thorough investigation showed there was substantial, reliable evidence that a person was involved in hostile acts against the U.S. that he was sent to Guantanamo. Detainees the U.S. released, for whatever reason, have gone on to murder many dozens of innocent people. We should just have hanged the dirty sons of bitches as a lesson to anyone else who might be thinking about crossing the U.S., and been done with it.

    Just after WWII, the U.S. Navy unceremoniously hanged almost 1,000 Japanese who had been convicted of war crimes in the Far East Tribunals. Because the Navy had no recent experience with hangings, a professional British hangman had to be brought in from Singapore. As one of the Americans recalled, he liked to get close to the criminal's ear and whisper, "Hello there, lad. D'ya know what I'm going to do? I'm going to break your f---ing neck!" I once saw a great photo of a U.S. serviceman giving a thumbs up sign as, a few feet away, a Japanese camp guard who had for years sadistically tortured him and his buddies took the drop with a noose around his neck. These lousy jihadist bastards deserve no better. To the Devil with them.

  3. #533
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:56 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,415

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Nah, I disagree. These are either the worst of the worst or they don't belong there. Death or release and that should have happened no more than a year after they were first captured. If we can't drain them of info and/or determine their status as enemies of the US in that period of time, release them or tribunal and death.
    That is interesting. I will think about it. Where would you set them free? Take Kurnatz as an example. Germany refused taking him for years and he was almost certainly totally harmless.

  4. #534
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by JUG View Post
    Maybe they do need a reminder.



    Why do you think that the G.W. Bush mis-administration sent detainees to Gitmo?

    If you don't know, I'll give you a clue: Because it was outside of the USA and detainees held there wouldn't have the rights that they would have in any U.S. territory.

    You really should join the reality-based world.

  5. #535
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:56 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,415

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    The ones that got to Guantanamo were the very worst. Thousands of the small fish who were captured overseas were questioned and released. It was only where thorough investigation showed there was substantial, reliable evidence that a person was involved in hostile acts against the U.S. that he was sent to Guantanamo. Detainees the U.S. released, for whatever reason, have gone on to murder many dozens of innocent people. We should just have hanged the dirty sons of bitches as a lesson to anyone else who might be thinking about crossing the U.S., and been done with it.

    Just after WWII, the U.S. Navy unceremoniously hanged almost 1,000 Japanese who had been convicted of war crimes in the Far East Tribunals. Because the Navy had no recent experience with hangings, a professional British hangman had to be brought in from Singapore. As one of the Americans recalled, he liked to get close to the criminal's ear and whisper, "Hello there, lad. D'ya know what I'm going to do? I'm going to break your f---ing neck!" I once saw a great photo of a U.S. serviceman giving a thumbs up sign as, a few feet away, a Japanese camp guard who had for years sadistically tortured him and his buddies took the drop with a noose around his neck. These lousy jihadist bastards deserve no better. To the Devil with them.
    In principal, i have no objections. It would have to be not only spelled out in law, though. It would have to be fully explained and publicly transparent, why we chose this method.

  6. #536
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:56 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,415

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Why do you think that the G.W. Bush mis-administration sent detainees to Gitmo?

    If you don't know, I'll give you a clue: Because it was outside of the USA and detainees held there wouldn't have the rights that they would have in any U.S. territory.

    You really should join the reality-based world.
    I remember there were alternatives, none very appetizing. But then, we have become a soft culture pampered by all those good years.

  7. #537
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,961
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    This sharp difference between torture done TO us versus non-torture done BY us. Same technique, same purpose, same result, but.... DIFFERENT!!

    BTW, I'm joking here on this thread for the most part, but this myth that our waterboarding is somehow less barbaric than that done TO us is the most pathetic argument in defense of the program of any. At least the sadists and other torture cheerleaders have the courage of their convictions. You're hiding behind a fiction so you don't have to admit what some of the others do. If you defend waterboarding, no matter how the propagandists on our side present it, you support torture.
    I don't consider water boarding as practiced by the US to have been torture. But make no mistake, if incontrovertible torture were the difference between victory and defeat, or between successful and unsuccessful defense of the US, then I would be wholeheartedly in favor of it. The moral shortcoming is among those who would limit what they would do to defend our country or secure victory.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  8. #538
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Obviously CNN and the American left.
    Here's one j. The left. Who ever they are.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #539
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,314

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    I do not trust government. If a politician tells me something or if a bureaucrat tells me something I would not believe it for a moment.

    But I do believe a process whose intent is to determine who is dangerous to us and who is not will work reasonably well given that it is our interest to make that determination. If it were not so we would have tens of thousands of prisoners and not just a few. Most were caught, documented, evaluated and released.
    You do not trust the government but you believe every word out of Lyin' Dick's mouth? Good heavens you are conflicted.

  10. #540
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,388

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    We've heard this crap from ones who were released and returned to their terrorist ways.

    Behead him and get it over with. 8)
    Honest...seeing the way Isis acts and then considering how al Queda acted...idk if I can care. Especially with the release of the justification for rape of prepubescent girls that Isis just did. I'm sick of them.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

Page 54 of 99 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •