Page 4 of 99 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 982

Thread: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

  1. #31
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,761

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    IIRC, one terrorist POS died.
    One innocent cab driver detained by mistake died, but otherwise, good point.

  2. #32
    User JUG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-20-14 @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    46

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Guantanamo is leased from Cuba, ergo not US Territory. You're in Criminal Justice so you must know that no evidence obtained through torture is admissable in US Courts. As an example, if they tried KSM, a genuine scumbag, in a Stateside Court all evidence would be thrown out as fruit of a tainted tree because he was waterboarded 83 times or more. So he is tried by a military tribunal and he'll definitely be found guilty. Now, Khaled Sheik Mohammed is a genuine piece of crap, but does the USA represent the justice it so proudly declares in the Pledge of Allegiance, "with liberty and justice for all," or does it represent kangaroo Courts. You are in a good position to make an informed decision.
    You're right in the case that no evidence obtained through torture is admissable in U.S. Courts. My argument is not one of criminal charges. As any naval and embassy territory is indeed U.S. territory (exactly why you can't be arrested by another nation's law enforcement on U.S. embassy territory) I'm saying that the actions are unconstitutional. We are guaranteed that we shall never have to face cruel and unusual punishment. The only reason that these "inmates" aren't receieving due-process is because there's no criminal charges being brought up. This is technically a very lenghty and unconstitutional interrogation.

  3. #33
    User JUG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-20-14 @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    46

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    It's pathetic that this is what we call "torture", and denegrates people who were REALLY tortured in the past, including those at Abu Ghraib where it went much further to physical forms and such. Peopel aren't dying from these techniques (at least they shouldn't, if they do, then people need to answer for that of course). Ultimately, we did get information from these sessions. I don't understand why this is any issue when our enemies are chopping off heads...
    According to George W. Bush, it is indeed torture if it causes organ failure or death which has both happened.

  4. #34
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,292

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by JUG View Post
    You're right in the case that no evidence obtained through torture is admissable in U.S. Courts. My argument is not one of criminal charges. As any naval and embassy territory is indeed U.S. territory (exactly why you can't be arrested by another nation's law enforcement on U.S. embassy territory) I'm saying that the actions are unconstitutional. We are guaranteed that we shall never have to face cruel and unusual punishment. The only reason that these "inmates" aren't receieving due-process is because there's no criminal charges being brought up. This is technically a very lenghty and unconstitutional interrogation.
    Yes. That is correct. Six inmates released to Uruguay after being detained 12 years and no charges filed. Mostly because they were not terrorists but mistaken renditions (kidnappings). They make the claim that Guantanamo is extra-territorial. The whole rendition and torture program is a bag of gooey, greasy, grimy, gopher grunt, eh?

  5. #35
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,671

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    One innocent cab driver detained by mistake died, but otherwise, good point.
    It's completely disgusting how many posters are giddy with the thought of torturing another human being. The president made the point that it doesn't matter that torture isn't effective. Even if it were effective, we shouldn't do it because it goes against everything that we stand for.

    However, so many of these other posters seem to be making another point. That the information is secondary. We should torture to enact revenge on people we suspect may have been involved in harming us. They deserve everything we can do to them, rule of law and due process be damned. It's a ugly side to our country.

  6. #36
    User JUG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-20-14 @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    46

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Yes. That is correct. Six inmates released to Uruguay after being detained 12 years and no charges filed. Mostly because they were not terrorists but mistaken renditions (kidnappings). They make the claim that Guantanamo is extra-territorial. The whole rendition and torture program is a bag of gooey, greasy, grimy, gopher grunt, eh?
    I couldn't agree with you more, my friend.

  7. #37
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,189

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    It amazes me sometimes, the extent to which some Americans seem to hate their own country. I can't imagine hating Canada so much that I'd contemplate spreading such nonsense.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  8. #38
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    It amazes me sometimes, the extent to which some Americans seem to hate their own country. I can't imagine hating Canada so much that I'd contemplate spreading such nonsense.
    Well, you know, Canadians are nice people, while we Americans are loud and obnoxious.

  9. #39
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,189

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Well, you know, Canadians are nice people, while we Americans are loud and obnoxious.
    Individually and in small numbers, you're almost Canadian in your mien - in larger numbers, however, you've got a point.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  10. #40
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    People literally did die... but ok. If it's not torture, you do it for a few months.
    He's not a terrorist or anything so why?
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

Page 4 of 99 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •