Page 31 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 982

Thread: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

  1. #301
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    People literally did die... but ok. If it's not torture, you do it for a few months.
    How many people died while being made uncomfortable? I have heard of one, possibly two.

  2. #302
    feckless bon vivant

    radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    lotusland
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,761

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Why not get with repubs and share and combine the two reports and come out with a unified report? Are liberals such children that they can't work with others?
    Repubs are publishing their own report.
    It's a little ironic that a GOPer would accuse anyone else of non-cooperation.



    Sorry radio, not what I was doing...But kind of telling that you think so...
    My posts are here for all to see.
    Check'em out.....oh that's right....you already did.



    Ah name calling...Ain't it great when you have nothing?
    More irony.

    And I wouldn't count the chickens on Benghazi until all the investigating is done...
    How many Benghazi "investigations" have we had now?
    Five?..six?....I've lost count....but this next one....yeah....this next one will expose Obama...or Hillary...or something.



    Agreed, but please point out for us what in this report is anything new concerning how liberals feel about EIT?
    Nothing new. Why all the apoplexy?



    Good to hear, because that made you libs look kind of crazy.
    More name calling, more irony.



    That's great.
    Well, I wouldn't say great.....good, maybe....but not great.
    No matter how cynical I become toward politicians, it's never enough.

  3. #303
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,870
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    If they are not convicted, how can terrorists be properly punished?

    Who cares about the ravings of the unrepentant, put them on trial for the sake of actual justice.
    This is the falsehood of the criminal justice approach to terrorism. This is war. No trials necessary. Kill the enemy.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  4. #304
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,353

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Any act of torture is condemnable. In my oppinion the scale or severity of the torture does not take away the fact that all acts of torture are dehumanizing. All acts of torture should be punished, no matter the scale.
    Of course every act of torture condemnable. That is pretty trivial for our culture today. But to trivialize torture by stuffing it with soft porn and blasphemy endangers the progress we have made.

  5. #305
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    This is the falsehood of the criminal justice approach to terrorism. This is war. No trials necessary. Kill the enemy.
    I don't recall the United States adopting similar methods againist the enemies we fought in previous wars.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  6. #306
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by JUG View Post
    You're right in the case that no evidence obtained through torture is admissable in U.S. Courts. My argument is not one of criminal charges. As any naval and embassy territory is indeed U.S. territory (exactly why you can't be arrested by another nation's law enforcement on U.S. embassy territory) I'm saying that the actions are unconstitutional. We are guaranteed that we shall never have to face cruel and unusual punishment. The only reason that these "inmates" aren't receieving due-process is because there's no criminal charges being brought up. This is technically a very lenghty and unconstitutional interrogation.
    There is a difference between gathering information to turn into intelligence and gathering evidence to prosecute a crime. Making unlawful combatants uncomfortable so they will tell us what they know is fine with me.

    Dianne Feinstein committed a treasonous act that will result in unnecessary American deaths.

  7. #307
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,870
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    I don't recall the United States adopting similar methods againist the enemies we fought in previous wars.
    On the contrary, we never put POW's on trial. And those were lawful combatants.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  8. #308
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,291

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    I don't recall the United States adopting similar methods againist the enemies we fought in previous wars.
    We held something like 425000 German POWs on US soil during WWII. How many were brought to trial?
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  9. #309
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    It's completely disgusting how many posters are giddy with the thought of torturing another human being. The president made the point that it doesn't matter that torture isn't effective. Even if it were effective, we shouldn't do it because it goes against everything that we stand for.

    However, so many of these other posters seem to be making another point. That the information is secondary. We should torture to enact revenge on people we suspect may have been involved in harming us. They deserve everything we can do to them, rule of law and due process be damned. It's a ugly side to our country.
    I suppose if making someone uncomfortable to the point of compelling cooperation is torture then you have a point. I think the ugly side of this country is the realization of just how many bedwetters we have here.

    And of course treasonous Democratic Party senators like Dianne Feinstein.

  10. #310
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,287

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Frankly, reason 1 there is a decent one IMO. An agency willing to risk alienating the very people tasked to oversee them by hacking their computers, accusing those same people of a crime, lying about what they did, and then doing NOTHING when the lies were found out should expect to get clipped because they ARE out of control. I can't believe that event has been brushed off. You can damn sure guarantee if that was a GOP committee, there would have been a dozen hearings by now.
    Hi Jasper. You seem measured in this response so I will try to be as well...

    I don't disagree that the CIA acting the way they did with respect to alleged spying, and hacking into the committee's work, but, as you say there are repubs that don't like that as well, and Feinstein has tremendous sway among her repub colleagues on the committee largely because up to now she has been very fair concerning matters of national security. She could have easily convened hearings on the CIA with repub support because as you say, repubs wouldn't stand for it either. Instead she chose to drop a bomb just before jumping out of the plane...Kind of cowardly if you ask me.

    And obviously those involved in a project for six years intended to release the findings and did. That should surprise exactly no one. It might be true that it was rushed a bit because of the change in control, but the committee has been fighting the WH and CIA for months at least over the details. At some point those involved just have to release it.
    I have no problems with studies when they are done correctly, and when there is participation from both sides of the isle, then you have something to agree upon. Now, much like the Church report in the 70s not much will come of it, other than rendering aid to the enemy in this case.

    Finally, I think it's a good thing to know what happened, so we go into this decision the next time with our eyes wide open about what will likely happen. We can't do that if we only know half or 1/4 or 1/10th of the story. And I can't see how this release has any long term bad effects on the ME. The damage was done with Abu Ghraib, complete with pictures, and continues with GITMO, with a steady drip of former detainees from there for the last few years to tell their story. And if there is any real damage from this release, it's a bunch of people defending torture as a legitimate interrogation technique, and denying that we did anything wrong during that period.
    Again no...By releasing it as a one sided, questionable, tirade it settles nothing but for partisans, and the divide they hope to further...Like I said, Church tried after Nam to do this, and did it change anything that happened today? No, not really....Neither will this.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 31 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •