Page 21 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 982

Thread: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

  1. #201
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,878

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Did you forget the last time already? There were several that dropped in.
    I have no idea what you're trying to say. Good day.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  2. #202
    feckless bon vivant

    radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    lotusland
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,760

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    And how would you interrogate someone like KSM for example? Tell us.
    If I may interject.
    KSM was waterboarded 180+ times.
    If waterboarding is/was so effective at extracting info, what's up with all the repeat performances?
    No matter how cynical I become toward politicians, it's never enough.

  3. #203
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by radioman View Post
    If I may interject.
    KSM was waterboarded 180+ times.
    If waterboarding is/was so effective at extracting info, what's up with all the repeat performances?
    It's not an instant process... answers over time must be consistent and verified. With someone who resists waterboarding well I would expect the process to take longer than normal.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #204
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,739

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Wrapping yourself in the cloak of 'ethics' and 'morals' doesn't help your argument. In fact it is immoral to attack those who have successfully prevented any further terror attacks on US soil, and you should be thanking them.
    You're just saying that if it involves national security, all criticism is off limits. That's ridiculous. It's not 'immoral' to disagree with your government on matters of war. It would be unconscionable to expect citizens to not question decisions with such horrific costs, which we know going in. People of high ethics, fully understanding the issues, WILL disagree, often strongly, and when they do they have an obligation to protest what they feel is wrong.


    This says otherwise. Where does it go wrong?The Democrats' 'reckless and irresponsible' terror report
    We could post dueling opinion pieces all day, and yours is from an obviously right wing leaning outlet. But I'll take an early passage - 4th paragraph:

    The report is so one-sided that not a single Republican on the Senate Intelligence Committee would sign off on the thing. No wonder that, after sitting on the results for more than two years, Committee Chairwoman Diane Feinstein (D-Calif.) decided to release it now.
    First of all, that no republican signed off in this era is hardly surprising. 20 years ago it would be - not today when votes that break exactly along party lines are the norm. Second, anyone with the slightest interest in the report knows that the committee has been fighting and negotiating with the WH and CIA for a year or so about what can and what cannot be released, at least. So the committee did not 'sit on' the report for two years. That's just misleading to the point of a lie.

    Second, the author says several times the report is 'untrue' and 'highly biased' but doesn't provide details. What is biased about the findings? What part of the report, specifically, is untrue. I accept that there WILL BE honest and legitimate differences of opinion about whether it should have been released and what part of it blacked out, but that's just because we're thinking humans. That does not mean those who disagree are biased or that the report is.

    Do you know whose side you are on? Do you know who you support? Or are you confused by all the claims coming from the different political and ideological combatants? Sometimes you have to make a decision based on logic and available evidence.
    The side of the U.S.

    Everyone is being paid so that point doesn't make much sense unless your idea is simply to taint one side. The fact is that no one in the actual decision making process was interviewed during the five years of questioning. Doesn't that strike you as odd?
    You avoided the point - questioning the government is the norm from conservatives on every issue except apparently the CIA on this subject.

    The GOP wants everyone to be interviewed regarding Benghazi but the Dems seemingly wanted no one interviewed with direct involvement in keeping America safe. That's the difference.
    Again, not the point. If right wingers can't accept the line from the various people about Benghazi after many hearings, you can't then question my 'morality' when I do the same with the CIA on this issue, especially since on this issue the CIA has a documented history of lies and brazen attempts to hide information - hacking into the committee's computer to remove the Panetta report, which is the most comprehensive internal examination of the program, its successes and failures. If they have been honest, and the program's successes obvious, they should proudly hand over their internal review which supports all their assertions - why hide that from the investigators, then illegally attempt to remove that document? Something to hide, obviously....

  5. #205
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by radioman View Post
    If I may interject.
    KSM was waterboarded 180+ times.
    If waterboarding is/was so effective at extracting info, what's up with all the repeat performances?
    Were you told that only one time was necessary?

  6. #206
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    I have no trouble with English. I do not, however, speak MMC.
    How about Ebonics aka jive talk ?

    I don't speak Ebonics but I understand and can comprehend Ebonics.

    Had no choice in the matter, back during the 70's if you were white and didn't understand Ebonics, you were labeled a racist. Something to do with cultural Marxism aka political correctness.

  7. #207
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,878

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    How about Ebonics aka jive talk ?

    I don't speak Ebonics but I understand and can comprehend Ebonics.

    Had no choice in the matter, back during the 70's if you were white and didn't understand Ebonics, you were labeled a racist. Something to do with cultural Marxism aka political correctness.
    Go rant against taco trucks some more.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  8. #208
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,739

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Americans overwhelmingly believe that "torture" is sometimes justified. In fact it was not even defined as 'torture', though the leftists prefer that word. The majority of the American people, bless 'em, are correct.
    Sure, we prefer to use the word that best describes some of the practices, instead of taking the Orwellian path of changing the word and pretend we've changed what occurred.

    And that poll lumps in vast differences of opinion on this subject. A response of "often" is world's apart from a response of 'rarely.'

  9. #209
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,543

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Well, that's due to no one putting a lil smack talk down on them. Most are worried about the thrown PC and the change up. Not anymore.
    Just when I thought I was learning how to speak MMC, he changes dialects.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  10. #210
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:16 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,670

    re: Gitmo inmate: My treatment shames American flag [W:508,759]

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Did you want to say they didn't die for what they believed in? Btw at least the Military get a headstone with their Name on it when they die. These guys get something, but nothing to identify them.
    The point is that they're fighting and dying for their brothers in arms, their country, and and ideal. And torture is antithetical to all of them.

    Here's a thought experiment. Why did the propagandists in WWII try to convince their own troops that the enemy would abuse and torture prisoners; and why did those same propagandists try to convince enemy troops that they would be well treated as prisoners?

Page 21 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •