Page 9 of 83 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 822

Thread: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

  1. #81
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,685

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    The Constitution prohibits cruel and unusual punishments. So your argument is that waterboarding is either not cruel or not unusual. Or, that the 8th Amendment does not need to be followed.
    The measuring stick for what is cruel and unusual under the 8th Amendment has always been tied to the level of the crime. Execution was ruled as cruel and unusual for cases of rape, but not for cases of murder, for example. Types of execution such as t drawing and quartering, public dissection, burning alive, or disembowelment were also ruled cruel and unusual for going beyond the basic purpose of execution.

    Under those guidelines, pouring water up the nose of a man who sawed another man's head off for being an American Jew does not meet the level of cruel and unusual punishment.
    Last edited by jmotivator; 12-11-14 at 11:52 AM.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    The Constitution prohibits cruel and unusual punishments. So your argument is that waterboarding is either not cruel or not unusual. Or, that the 8th Amendment does not need to be followed.


    Holder didn't find that it was......how come? What happened and his inquiry talked to and interviewed witnesses. Plus his dept didn't just talk to the CIA Chiefs.


    Couldn't even bring charges. Do you think that says something?

  3. #83
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,159

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    That wasn't the question.....they were. Also I doubt they are or have been experiencing any enhanced techniques for years now. Yes they are locked up and they are alive because of it. There are many places they cannot go as they will be killed on sight. Some even with their own Countries.

    Again, it goes back to my argument. Anything else after that is a mute point.
    I'm sure many of them have continued to endure tortures in the years since. By now they've probably admitted that they are responsible for killing JFK and for slavery.

    If they were sent back to their countries and shot on sight there, that doesn't sound like our problem.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  4. #84
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    The administration should completely ignore the report, the next Congress should do whatever it can to discredit it, and we should move forward and allow it to fade into obscurity over the coming years. This is not the time to address the issue.

  5. #85
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,159

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Holder didn't find that it was......how come? What happened and his inquiry talked to and interviewed witnesses. Plus his dept didn't just talk to the CIA Chiefs.


    Couldn't even bring charges. Do you think that says something?
    Why do I care what Holder thinks and since when do you believe him?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #86
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,685

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    I'd agree. There are some things that are completely off the table, the decapitating of their children and the raping their women being among them.

    I also have no objection to effective enhanced interrogation methods that have been validated to produce valuable intel, so much so that when completed the interrogatee is little more than a shriveled up shell of their former selves, perhaps even safe to return to their homes after that with the risk of recidivism.
    Yeah, the left is decidedly illogical on the the effectiveness of enhanced interrogation and torture. On the one hand they will rightly defend the clearly coerced anti-American screeds that ISIS decapitation victims are forced to say before they are brutally murdered because, you know, they were under duress and all... yet entertain for a moment that duress can coerce a statement of fact from a Islamic radical prisoner and they are quick to try and disprove it.

    And before people rush in to try and make the above statement into an admission that the US is no better than al Qaeda I would like to offer the inconvenient truth that Khalid Sheik Mohammed was not decapitated. Small difference, I know...
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  7. #87
    Educator applejuicefool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,196

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    The Constitution prohibits cruel and unusual punishments. So your argument is that waterboarding is either not cruel or not unusual. Or, that the 8th Amendment does not need to be followed.
    Or, as has been mentioned before in this thread (or maybe the other one dealing more specifically with the report), that waterboarding for interrogation is not "punishment".

    -AJF

  8. #88
    Educator Meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    02-22-15 @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    677

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    When the UN stops promoting human rights abusers to lead its condemnation bodies then they may have a shred of credibility.
    Exactly.

    The UN is full of dictators who abuse and fleece their own citizens, then are trying to take the high road on this is nothing more than laughable.
    Nothing but grandstanding, because if they were sincere they would kick us out of the UN.

  9. #89
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,708
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob0627 View Post
    I'm sorry you can't. American judges sentenced Japanese soldiers to death and long prison sentences for waterboarding American soldiers.
    Pretty sure that "waterboarding" was among other more heinous acts but why split hairs, right?

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No they won't. Largely because it would show that deep down they support it as well, they just can't admit it because of how that would make them look.


    Oh that's Right.....one has to be all PC fashionable when standing next to a terrorist, huh?

    Just how is one suppose to look when compared to a terrorist.

    I heard the AQ spokesperson in Yemen sounded off yesterday about this. They didn't like hearing how their fighters were given enemas. He says we have to be afraid.....very afraid.

Page 9 of 83 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •