Page 8 of 83 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 822

Thread: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

  1. #71
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I give some credit to the Obama admin for not pursuing any of this. It would undermine the Justice Department, and would be very difficult to get opinions from their attorneys in the future. Attorneys usually don't get prosecuted for rendering opinions, but I suppose they could get disbarred for incompentence. I think that's why no legal actions will be sought.
    A lot of Democrats wouod be on the hot seat if he did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    He'd let Americans die then argue they deserve it.
    Yeah, you can get that from such who are ashamed of those of us who shed blood for this country. I got plenty of it back during NAM. Back then I didn't say anything when they popped off. Now it is very a different story. Always ends the same way to.....they don't like it.

    Do you think any of the hard core left will answer that question? As they seem to have trouble doing so.....and not just here either.

  3. #73
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,191

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post



    Oh FFS, prison isn't a fun place to be either but I support sending criminals there. Would you argue that anyone who supports sending criminals to prison should be incarcerated?

    I know that waterboarding was so amazingly uncomfortable that is made a proud, defiant Islamic militant murdering mogrel cry like a little bitch. I say hell yeah. Do it again.
    The Constitution prohibits cruel and unusual punishments. So your argument is that waterboarding is either not cruel or not unusual. Or, that the 8th Amendment does not need to be followed.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  4. #74
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob0627 View Post
    Yeah of course, God Bless America, waterboarding is not waterboarding if Americans do it. The American exceptionalism mentality. There is no provision in any international treaty that prohibits torture and other crimes against humanity that exempts the US government.

    In any case, it wasn't just waterboarding that was part of the torture regimen, some died through these tortures. ALL who were tortured were not charged with any crimes before they were tortured. Most were released without ever being charged with anything. Yeah, different situation, same war crimes/crimes against humanity.
    Don't get your bleeding heart panties in a bunch...tell me is AQ, ISIS, or any of the terrorist groups a uniformed military?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I don't think that 13 years later they're still "players."

    I admit that we're in a very tough situation as far as getting rid of them, but I don't think that justifies torture.
    That wasn't the question.....they were. Also I doubt they are or have been experiencing any enhanced techniques for years now. Yes they are locked up and they are alive because of it. There are many places they cannot go as they will be killed on sight. Some even with their own Countries.

    Again, it goes back to my argument. Anything else after that is a mute point.

  6. #76
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I don't think that 13 years later they're still "players."

    I admit that we're in a very tough situation as far as getting rid of them, but I don't think that justifies torture.
    Who says it does? But consider that enemies, or their supporters don't get to define the parameters just because they feel guilty for winning.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #77
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Yeah, you can get that from such who are ashamed of those of us who shed blood for this country. I got plenty of it back during NAM. Back then I didn't say anything when they popped off. Now it is very a different story. Always ends the same way to.....they don't like it.

    Do you think any of the hard core left will answer that question? As they seem to have trouble doing so.....and not just here either.
    No they won't. Largely because it would show that deep down they support it as well, they just can't admit it because of how that would make them look.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #78
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob0627 View Post
    All senior U.S. officials and CIA agents who authorized or carried out torture like waterboarding as part of former President George W. Bush's national security policy must be prosecuted, top U.N. officials said Wednesday.

    It's not clear, however, how human rights officials think these prosecutions will take place, since the Justice Department has declined to prosecute and the U.S. is not a member of the International Criminal Court.

    Zeid Raad al-Hussein, the U.N. high commissioner for human rights, said it's "crystal clear" under international law that the United States, which ratified the U.N. Convention Against Torture in 1994, now has an obligation to ensure accountability.

    "In all countries, if someone commits murder, they are prosecuted and jailed. If they commit rape or armed robbery, they are prosecuted and jailed. If they order, enable or commit torture ? recognized as a serious international crime ? they cannot simply be granted impunity because of political expediency," he said.

    U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon hopes the U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee report on the CIA's harsh interrogation techniques at secret overseas facilities is the "start of a process" toward prosecutions, because the "prohibition against torture is absolute," Ban's spokesman said.

    Ben Emmerson, the U.N.'s special rapporteur on counterterrorism and human rights, said the report released Tuesday shows "there was a clear policy orchestrated at a high level within the Bush administration, which allowed (it) to commit systematic crimes and gross violations of international human rights law."

    He said international law prohibits granting immunity to public officials who allow the use of torture, and this applies not just to the actual perpetrators but also to those who plan and authorize torture.

    UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture - ABC News

    The only CIA agent who has been jailed to date for anything to do with torture is John Kiriakou, for whistleblowing on the CIA torture program.
    The release of the report was a shameful betrayal of American interests.

  9. #79
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,952
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Well, no. I do not want to come anywhere close to equaling or exceeding the savagery of al Qaeda and ISIS. I do not want to overrun their camps and decapitate their children and rape their women. But I am not above pouring water up their nose and make THEM believe we might be ending their life. In other words, I have no problem making these monsters cry.
    I'd agree. There are some things that are completely off the table, the decapitating of their children and the raping their women being among them.

    I also have no objection to effective enhanced interrogation methods that have been validated to produce valuable intel, so much so that when completed the interrogatee is little more than a shriveled up shell of their former selves, perhaps even safe to return to their homes after that with the risk of recidivism.
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  10. #80
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,728

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    For those advocating arrest for politicians and CIA agents involved, lets make sure we set the example and show how serious we are. Start petitions immediately demanding Reid, Rockefeller, Pelosi, and many others that were briefed on this from the get go be arrested and tried and punished. Show how much this matters to you.

    Fluffy bunnies....

Page 8 of 83 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •