Page 75 of 83 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 750 of 822

Thread: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

  1. #741
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 09:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,267

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    I don't know what your mean by "institutionalized," but it sounds very much like you are slandering the United States. I wish I could say it surprises me to see that here.

    The United States has not approved the use of torture on anyone. And if you really knew that certain persons had violated the laws against torture, there would be no need to prosecute them--the purpose of a trial is to determine guilt. You don't know any such thing.
    Oh, but I do know it. Don't know about you, but I'm old enough to remember when Bush, Cheney, Yoo, Gonzalez and a host of others were actually in the White House, tweaking memos and such that ordered EIT in violation of Geneva Conventions.

    Perhaps you are too young to remember all that, along with books about it written by James Risen, Jane Mayer and Ron Suskind.

    You might not be aware of the US government institutionalizing torture Matchlight, but I am.

  2. #742
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    How about me Joe...do you think I am evil?
    Follow what I said? Do you support torture? If you do, anyone who does, supports evil, and is on the dark side so to speak. Torture is and always will be evil.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #743
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Follow what I said? Do you support torture? If you do, anyone who does, supports evil, and is on the dark side so to speak. Torture is and always will be evil.
    What if it was your family's lives in the balance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #744
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What if it was your family's lives in the balance?
    Would you rape a child if your family is in the balance? Look, torture isn't reliable and isn't the best way to get that information, so I'd prefer, if my family was in the balance that they do what is most effective. Second, doing evil things that likely fail doesn't help my family. Third, even if it did, it doesn't change the nature of it. It would still be evil. Once you start excusing evil, no matter how you try to frame it, you start down a road that will be worse than if you didn't.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #745
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,725
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob0627 View Post
    All senior U.S. officials and CIA agents who authorized or carried out torture like waterboarding as part of former President George W. Bush's national security policy must be prosecuted, top U.N. officials said Wednesday.

    It's not clear, however, how human rights officials think these prosecutions will take place, since the Justice Department has declined to prosecute and the U.S. is not a member of the International Criminal Court.

    Zeid Raad al-Hussein, the U.N. high commissioner for human rights, said it's "crystal clear" under international law that the United States, which ratified the U.N. Convention Against Torture in 1994, now has an obligation to ensure accountability.

    "In all countries, if someone commits murder, they are prosecuted and jailed. If they commit rape or armed robbery, they are prosecuted and jailed. If they order, enable or commit torture ? recognized as a serious international crime ? they cannot simply be granted impunity because of political expediency," he said.

    U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon hopes the U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee report on the CIA's harsh interrogation techniques at secret overseas facilities is the "start of a process" toward prosecutions, because the "prohibition against torture is absolute," Ban's spokesman said.

    Ben Emmerson, the U.N.'s special rapporteur on counterterrorism and human rights, said the report released Tuesday shows "there was a clear policy orchestrated at a high level within the Bush administration, which allowed (it) to commit systematic crimes and gross violations of international human rights law."

    He said international law prohibits granting immunity to public officials who allow the use of torture, and this applies not just to the actual perpetrators but also to those who plan and authorize torture.

    UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture - ABC News

    The only CIA agent who has been jailed to date for anything to do with torture is John Kiriakou, for whistleblowing on the CIA torture program.
    It is more likely that the US will withdraw from the UN than carry out such prosecutions.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  6. #746
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Follow what I said? Do you support torture? If you do, anyone who does, supports evil, and is on the dark side so to speak. Torture is and always will be evil.
    Well, you've never really given a solid, undeniable outline of what you say 'torture' is....

    Waterboarding?
    Stress Positions?
    Climate control?
    Loud Music?
    Annoying lighting?
    Slapping?
    Hitting?
    Touching?
    Talking loudly?
    Not providing a pillow?
    Touching a Koran without latex gloves on?
    Rubbing them down with Pig's blood?
    Eating bacon in front of them?

    Come on Joe....Let us know just how much you'd like to tie our hands without all the semantic word puzzles for a change....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #747
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    It is more likely that the US will withdraw from the UN than carry out such prosecutions.
    Couldn't happen soon enough for me...Without the US in the UN, the UN ceases to exist.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #748
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Would you rape a child if your family is in the balance? Look, torture isn't reliable and isn't the best way to get that information, so I'd prefer, if my family was in the balance that they do what is most effective. Second, doing evil things that likely fail doesn't help my family. Third, even if it did, it doesn't change the nature of it. It would still be evil. Once you start excusing evil, no matter how you try to frame it, you start down a road that will be worse than if you didn't.
    Would you kill a person to prorect your family?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #749
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,725
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    The case for torture warrants

    ". . . Most of these arguments are empirical in nature and may be true or false as matters of fact. But there is one fact that is indisputably true, has always been true, and, in my view, will always be true. That fact is that every democracy confronted with a genuine choice of evils between allowing many of its citizens to be killed by terrorists, or employing some forms of torture to prevent such multiple deaths, will opt for the use of torture. This, too, is an empirical claim, and I am entirely confident that it is true as a matter of fact. . . ."
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #750
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, you've never really given a solid, undeniable outline of what you say 'torture' is....
    This is a false debate. We knew the answer to this in the past. Bush just pretended we didn't know and the willing pretended with him.

    Waterboarding?
    Yes. And we prosecuted Americans for doing this before.
    Stress Positions?
    Yes, the innocent cab driver died IN PART due to a stress position. It's torture.
    Climate control?
    Odd phrasing, but extreme heat and cold is torture, yes.
    Loud Music?
    Yes, of course.
    Annoying lighting?
    Yes.
    Slapping?
    being silly now, but yes.
    Hitting?
    Yes.
    Touching?
    Talking loudly?
    Not providing a pillow?
    You're just being silly here and you know it.
    Touching a Koran without latex gloves on?
    Rubbing them down with Pig's blood?
    These have no real purpose and just looking to incite resistance. More just stupid than torture.
    Eating bacon in front of them?
    Back to silly agian.
    Come on Joe....Let us know just how much you'd like to tie our hands without all the semantic word puzzles for a change....
    You operate from a false premise. It is not tying our hands to do what is effective over what isn't. And you can't excuse immorality by throwing out the faulty claim of tying our hands. Torture is first and foremost, immoral. Secondly, it is ineffective. There is virtually no reason to do other than you want to do evil and harm to another human being.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 75 of 83 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •