Page 73 of 83 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 730 of 822

Thread: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

  1. #721
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    if the U.N. need a bounty hunter to find these losers...if they pay my expenses, I will do it for otherwise nothing.
    The UN does not determine what is and isn't torture.

    Maybe you missed this part of the report.
    It's not clear, however, how human rights officials think these prosecutions will take place, since the Justice Department has declined to prosecute and the U.S. is not a member of the International Criminal Court.

    So if you decide to carry through with doing this for nothing you will likely find yourself in violation of the law, no matter where you carry it out.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  2. #722
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,305

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    There you go displaying your inability to focus on the topic, showing all that you have no valid argument.
    I couldn't help myself--I began feeling bad for all the ex-convicts out there who are actually nice people. I guess the prison experience effects each individual a little bit differently. My condolences.

  3. #723
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    I couldn't help myself--I began feeling bad for all the ex-convicts out there who are actually nice people. I guess the prison experience effects each individual a little bit differently. My condolences.
    There you go again displaying your inability to live in reality and focus on the topic, showing all that you have no valid argument in reference to the topic or of me.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  4. #724
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,305

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    There you go again displaying your inability to live in reality and focus on the topic, showing all that you have no valid argument in reference to the topic or of me.
    In your defense of torture Excon, I would say it is YOU who lives in an unreal and immoral 'reality', not I.

    Dick Cheney Fan Club members don't do much for me.

  5. #725
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-26-17 @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,697

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob0627 View Post
    All senior U.S. officials and CIA agents who authorized or carried out torture like waterboarding as part of former President George W. Bush's national security policy must be prosecuted, top U.N. officials said Wednesday.

    It's not clear, however, how human rights officials think these prosecutions will take place, since the Justice Department has declined to prosecute and the U.S. is not a member of the International Criminal Court.

    Zeid Raad al-Hussein, the U.N. high commissioner for human rights, said it's "crystal clear" under international law that the United States, which ratified the U.N. Convention Against Torture in 1994, now has an obligation to ensure accountability.

    "In all countries, if someone commits murder, they are prosecuted and jailed. If they commit rape or armed robbery, they are prosecuted and jailed. If they order, enable or commit torture ? recognized as a serious international crime ? they cannot simply be granted impunity because of political expediency," he said.

    U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon hopes the U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee report on the CIA's harsh interrogation techniques at secret overseas facilities is the "start of a process" toward prosecutions, because the "prohibition against torture is absolute," Ban's spokesman said.

    Ben Emmerson, the U.N.'s special rapporteur on counterterrorism and human rights, said the report released Tuesday shows "there was a clear policy orchestrated at a high level within the Bush administration, which allowed (it) to commit systematic crimes and gross violations of international human rights law."

    He said international law prohibits granting immunity to public officials who allow the use of torture, and this applies not just to the actual perpetrators but also to those who plan and authorize torture.

    UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture - ABC News

    The only CIA agent who has been jailed to date for anything to do with torture is John Kiriakou, for whistleblowing on the CIA torture program.
    Ah yes, the UN, the most powerful entity in the world.

    Lol jk.

  6. #726
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Oh, so now I am the "devil" because I disagree with you....Nice. No, that's not dishonest at all, Noooooo....
    Not what I said. Why do you make leaps I don't? I merely state Christians follow the teaching of Christ and not those of the devil. Do you disagree?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #727
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Is anyone still being tortured? If not why don't you get a grip?
    Which was not the point of our discussion. Try to follow.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #728
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Which was not the point of our discussion. Try to follow.
    Look who's talking, it's Johnny Come Lately to the party.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #729
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not what I said. Why do you make leaps I don't? I merely state Christians follow the teaching of Christ and not those of the devil. Do you disagree?
    Whom do you think is following teachings of the Devil?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #730
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    The UN does not determine what is and isn't torture.

    Maybe you missed this part of the report.
    It's not clear, however, how human rights officials think these prosecutions will take place, since the Justice Department has declined to prosecute and the U.S. is not a member of the International Criminal Court.

    So if you decide to carry through with doing this for nothing you will likely find yourself in violation of the law, no matter where you carry it out.
    Crimes against humanity, like torture, can be tried anywhere in the world, regardless of whether or not the US has signed onto the ICC.

Page 73 of 83 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •