Page 60 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
Results 591 to 600 of 822

Thread: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

  1. #591
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    Whether feigned or genuine, you do not know the difference between right and wrong.

    If you're into the bible, consider Paul's words in Corinthians, the letter of the law brings death, the spirit of the law brings life.

    I hope nobody pays you for legal services rendered.

    Didn't you say you were an atheist in the 'satan thread'? I could be wrong.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #592
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    The outright dishonesty of your claims here is beyond credulity....In the Dilawar case several people were in fact tried by Military court, and plead guilty of mistreating him....The fact that you want higher people held accountable is up to the Atty. Gen. to do, and Holder took three years and investigated, he said he didn't find enough evidence to go forward, and you turn that into a lack of willingness...That is a straight up lie. Period.

    Habibullah is much the same thing. People were indicted, and prosecuted, plus in this case the Capt. in charge was charged with dereliction, and making false statements....The fact that you want to take the MSNBC's darling, Larry Wilkerson's word, and the MSNBC track of hoping out loud for Bush, or Cheney to "be frog marched across the WH lawn in cuffs" will just have to remain an unrealized dream of yours. Too bad for you...BTW...You know that Habibullah was the brother of a Taliban commander right...Not hardly an "Innocent bystander as you claim.

    This is why this is a dumb argument to have with people like you Joe...You will never be honest about it, therefore, it is pointless to argue with you about it....
    J, I didn't say they weren't. Of course they were underlings, with no one higher up taking responsibility. You'll notice though they got little more than a hand slap for it as I recall.

    And yes, Holder didn't prosecute. I've stated that before as well. Do you read what I say at all?

    So, J I haven't been dishonest at all. I neither quoted MSNBC nor taking any one single person's word. As I stated, I've read nearly everything on this. It's a tired ass tactic to try and by passed an argument by calling people dishonest. Who did ot didn't get prosecuted had nothing to do with the point being made. Let me try again.

    1) Dilwar was innocent by every account. Innocent and dead.

    2) Stress positions played a role.

    Now, I've put other things up to cover other points. So, if you want to be honest, see what each point is and what they all mean together.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #593
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    09-26-15 @ 04:38 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,143

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    Well I never suggested the disgruntled partisan hacks scenario you mention, no.

    He lacks a moral compass and exhibits malfeasance in office because he is sworn to uphold the law. He is obligated to prosecute those who break the law.

    As Taguba and many others have described, and as POTUS has told the country, "we tortured some folks". Even before Obama was elected, anybody paying attention already knew "we were torturing some folks." Not rocket science.

    So for those of us who do happen to be guided by a moral compass, what was done by government agents was wrong, and it was illegal.

    So in my view, partisan politics has nothing to do with it. Torture is illegal, we did it, we know who did it and who ordered it, and the AG has an obligation to enforce the law. He has refused to, and that is complicity on his part for the torture scheme, AND it is dereliction of duty on his part.
    It makes you think who control the government if agencies are above the law. Cruel and unusual punishment? Before found guilty of a crime? Yet these agencies aren't held reliable...

  4. #594
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    09-26-15 @ 04:38 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,143

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    You are speaking from experience I see.
    Since you are, I would suggest you stop getting mired here.


    And again.
    What the CIA did was designed not to run afoul of the law, and was found legally permissible.
    Do you really not understand that?
    I care not if you or others do not like that. The interrogation methods, as officially conducted were not torture.


    As the interrogation methods were designed not to run afoul of the law and a memo was issued saying they didn't. He did nothing illegal to be prosecuted for.



    No it wasn't. It was all legal.
    Do you defend the ideas that the United States should be legally allowed to subject people to things like waterboarding and rectal feeding as a means of interrogation?

    Our should we as citizens be allowed to have restrictions on the agencies that are capable of this kind of practice.

  5. #595
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, as far as derailing the thread, YOU made the assertion that Cheney was in the VP offices with a joy stick killing Americans, that is out there Henry....But, again you fail to answer the question. If the planes were "drones", what about the people on those flights? Where are they?
    I have no idea where those people are. There is no proof that any of those passengers actually boarded said flights, and some evidence suggesting, at least at Boston, that nobody boarded those flights.

    Whether they boarded or not, I have no idea what happened to them. We can speculate, but that serves no valid purpose in answering your good question.

  6. #596
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Didn't you say you were an atheist in the 'satan thread'? I could be wrong.
    You might be mistaken. By some I am described as an atheist, but I consider myself a Deist in the tradition of Jefferson and others.

    You were certainly wrong in saying whatever you said about Cheney and some joystick killing americans. Where on earth did you get that?

  7. #597
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertie76 View Post
    It makes you think who control the government if agencies are above the law. Cruel and unusual punishment? Before found guilty of a crime? Yet these agencies aren't held reliable...
    The individuals within those agencies, including the heads of agencies, are not held responsible. It clearly shows the rule of law in this country is dead in the water. And Holder is just the last in a long line of complicit and criminal Attorneys General. The decay within the federal government smells to high heaven. We are the world's most notorious hypocrite.

  8. #598
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Didn't you say you were an atheist in the 'satan thread'? I could be wrong.
    One thing is for sure, you can't follow the teachings of Jesus and support torture. I can see the wrist bans now: Who would Jesus torture?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #599
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    09-26-15 @ 04:38 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,143

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    The individuals within those agencies, including the heads of agencies, are not held responsible. It clearly shows the rule of law in this country is dead in the water. And Holder is just the last in a long line of complicit and criminal Attorneys General. The decay within the federal government smells to high heaven. We are the world's most notorious hypocrite.
    We're not the hypocrites we're Victims of social control and shady political manipulations we as Americans need to demand the agencies responsible or start impeaching the problem it's the U.S. is too comfortable without really understanding how a shadow government is overthrowing our constitution

  10. #600
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,475

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertie76 View Post
    It makes you think who control the government if agencies are above the law. Cruel and unusual punishment? Before found guilty of a crime? Yet these agencies aren't held reliable...
    Like the IRS, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 60 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •