Page 46 of 83 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 822

Thread: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

  1. #451
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    It is a fact that we did more than waterboard people. It is also a fact that torture has a tendency to produce unreliable information. Again that is not to say that it always produces unreliable information, but rather that it has a tendency to produce unreliable information. There is much to back that up. It is also a fact that terrorists frequently use torture as a matter of routine policy.
    This report was a partisan political hatchet job that cherry picked information and didn't allow for interrogation of the leaders who authorized it. Yours is speculation which normally for liberals means speculation means facts especially when they are damaging to the security of this country. I am just glad you aren't in position of authority or leadership called on to make extremely difficult situations that affects lives.

  2. #452
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,285

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Nonsense on stilts. Like other crimes, rape is mostly the subject of state law, not federal. In any case, it should be obvious that the U.S. Department of Justice, as part of the Executive Branch, would have no authority to amend or repeal any law enacted by Congress--including any law against rape.

    Because torture is a crime under section 2340 of the U.S. Code and other federal law, it could never be "legal," regardless of the reasons for engaging in it.

    I guess that means "no, I would not consider rape to be legal even if a High Government Official declared it to be". Thanks for the straight answer.

    BUT, it seems (please correct me if I'm wrong) that you consider torture to be legal as long as it's done for reasons named by a High Government Official.

    Under which Title of the USC is the Section 2340 you describe?

  3. #453
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,285

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Capitalization of the whole word is a very persuasive argument in your book, Sir? That would certainly correspond nicely to your understanding of language and Newspeak.
    In beating around the bush to NOT use the word 'torture' (Love them EIT!!), it appears the media and perhaps yourself are the ones engaging in Newspeak....

  4. #454
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    This report was a partisan political hatchet job
    That is something we can agree on.

  5. #455
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:48 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,336

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    In beating around the bush to NOT use the word 'torture' (Love them EIT!!), it appears the media and perhaps yourself are the ones engaging in Newspeak....
    It is astounding how audaciously some activists are in spreading lies. And anyone who is not willing to be exact is a liar you know?
    Actually, you see, the use of the "T" word for things that are not torture is a type of Newspeak in redefining an emotion loaded word and trying to slip it into the hearts and minds of the people that have not looked into the thing very carefully and is so rather disgusting. It may suit certain agendas and be helpful as propaganda often is, when lying is the only way of projecting ones ideas, but it also does a lot of damage. It especially harms the human rights agenda and will slow justice by making it easier to laugh about the stupidity and/or dishonesty of the accusing moralizers that cannot even be straight, when things are important.

  6. #456
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Some intelligent people here may want to study what U.S. law on torture actually is, instead of relying on the say-so of various leftist dopes who resent this country. Here is a very thorough, detailed memorandum on this subject prepared for the Attorney General at the time by the Office of Legal Counsel. There are at least 125,000 pages of documents on different aspects of the war on jihadists in the archive this one comes from. Let me know if the link doesn't work.


    http://dspace.wrlc.org/doc/bitstream...001display.pdf

  7. #457
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    The Justice Department did not say that in regards to the EIT methods.
    And as such, there will be no prosecutions.
    There mistake. An unwillingness to prosecute is not equal to it not being illegal.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #458
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Look, suggest you get this post published in the fiction category. You post opinions as fact and ignore that this report didn't interview key leaders who authorized enhanced interrogation so you have no idea what you are talking about or if in this case enhanced interrogation worked. You call waterboarding torture and I disagree as would Bin Laden today as that is how he was captured and killed.
    I'm sorry, but your willing suspension of disbelieve doesn't make these facts fiction.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #459
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Some intelligent people here may want to study what U.S. law on torture actually is, instead of relying on the say-so of various leftist dopes who resent this country. Here is a very thorough, detailed memorandum on this subject prepared for the Attorney General at the time by the Office of Legal Counsel. There are at least 125,000 pages of documents on different aspects of the war on jihadists in the archive this one comes from. Let me know if the link doesn't work.


    http://dspace.wrlc.org/doc/bitstream...001display.pdf
    The left's idea of the 'War on Terror' is to attack the American police and the CIA while removing the military from the areas known to be Islamic trouble spots..We'll soon see the consequences of this craziness when the war comes to the US in a much more serious way. No world power can remain safe and stupid simultaneously.

    This is the same leadership that cannot protect the country's borders but feel they can control the earth's atmosphere. We are witnessing madness writ large.

  10. #460
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    There mistake. An unwillingness to prosecute is not equal to it not being illegal.
    Do we have an elected government or not? We are not members of the ICC, nor do we buckle to UN demands...You must really dream of One World Government Joe.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 46 of 83 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •