Page 34 of 83 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 822

Thread: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

  1. #331
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    Or you, a man who will not honor a dictionary...
    Honor a dictionary?
    The dictionary is irrelevant to the clear intent of the Amendment.
    It is meant as punishment for crime, which was further held by the Supreme Court.

    So again. Why don't you follow the advice you were given and frame an argument around passed legislation or Treaty?


    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    No honor at all on display.
    I agree. You have displayed none.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  2. #332
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    I'll say this. The Democrats have thrown this Hail Mary down the field, but they better be careful. I'm sure the Obama administration has torture on it's hands as well.

  3. #333
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I'll say this. The Democrats have thrown this Hail Mary down the field, but they better be careful. I'm sure the Obama administration has torture on it's hands as well.
    The Justice Department already investigated the interrogation methods and decided there was nothing to prosecute and no one from the Bush admin can be prosecuted even if new evidence was found because of the 5 year statute of limitations.
    So it is nothing more than political grandstanding.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  4. #334
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Gee, wonder why our military has such a low opinion of Obama? Guess that doesn't matter to liberals

    Obama's job approval plummets among US service members | TheHill

  5. #335
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    The Justice Department already investigated the interrogation methods and decided there was nothing to prosecute and no one from the Bush admin can be prosecuted even if new evidence was found because of the 5 year statute of limitations.
    So it is nothing more than political grandstanding.
    Well it's definitely political grandstanding. However there is no statute of limitations on torture under certain circumstances. Of course Cheney would be prosecuted IF it came to that. Even McCain tacitly admitted Cheney tortured. But my point is that I really don't think that is something that is confined to the Bush administration, and the Democrats better be careful because that could backfire.

  6. #336
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Well it's definitely political grandstanding. However there is no statute of limitations on torture under certain circumstances. Of course Cheney would be prosecuted IF it came to that. Even McCain tacitly admitted Cheney tortured. But my point is that I really don't think that is something that is confined to the Bush administration, and the Democrats better be careful because that could backfire.
    Matters not what McCain thinks, especially as he is wrong.
    The State department investigated the interrogation methods and did not find any thing to charge. Which would be because the methods were designed not to run afoul of the law.

    So under such premiss, to me, that really makes your point about the Dems being careful irrelevant, as no one will be charged.
    The only thing both parties have to worry about is just more grandstanding of a political nature, which is going to happen regardless.

    To your confined remark.
    And honestly here, even though the political populace of either side may want to see such charges and convictions against the opposite party, I doubt that in reality the Party leadership wants to ever see such a trial happen to a President because of the precedent that it will set.
    So that kind of agrees with your remark.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  7. #337
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Matters not what McCain thinks, especially as he is wrong.
    The State department investigated the interrogation methods and did not find any thing to charge. Which would be because the methods were designed not to run afoul of the law.

    So under such premiss, to me, that really makes your point about the Dems being careful irrelevant, as no one will be charged.
    The only thing both parties have to worry about is just more grandstanding of a political nature, which is going to happen regardless.

    To your confined remark.
    And honestly here, even though the political populace of either side may want to see such charges and convictions against the opposite party, I doubt that in reality the Party leadership wants to ever see such a trial happen to a President because of the precedent that it will set.
    So that kind of agrees with your remark.
    Although I agree with you that no one will be charged, McCain is not wrong. But regardless, there will be no charges because if they did indeed start that, Democrats, Obama included would not be immune. For that reason, there will be no charges, and like you say, this is, for the most part political grandstanding.

  8. #338
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    McCain is not wrong.
    Unfortunately he is, as the methods were designed not to run afoul of the law and the fact that no charges were brought after the investigation.

    So yeah, he is wrong as wrong can be.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  9. #339
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Unfortunately he is, as the methods were designed not to run afoul of the law and the fact that no charges were brought after the investigation.

    So yeah, he is wrong as wrong can be.
    Look Excon, I'm not going to get into a legal pissing contest over this. I will say this, that if we view torture as the act of deliberately inflicting physical and/or psychological injury upon someone that is under one's control, then it is clear that the Bush administration tortured people. But, that is not something that is peculiar to the Bush administration, and again, is something that I don't think Republicans or Democrats really want to seriously start to investigate because that would cause all types of problems for themselves and the US government as well.

  10. #340
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Look Excon, I'm not going to get into a legal pissing contest over this.
    Good. Because you can't.
    The justice department investigated the methods. They did not call it torture and no charges were brought.

    So look MildSteel, never said you did, and never said you wanted to. But that is the part I care about, not the rest of this nonsense of which my position has already been stated to you.
    Legally it was not torture, and as such, McCain was wrong.
    If you do not want to get into a debate, just don't reply. It is that simple.
    But continue to say false things and I will oppose them.
    Last edited by Excon; 12-23-14 at 09:23 PM.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

Page 34 of 83 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •