Page 22 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 822

Thread: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

  1. #211
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    News break for you. Read the thread. The comment was about it being unconstitutional. It isn't. It wasn't done as punishment.


    You really should have read the thread. D'oh!
    It is unconstitutional because if nothing else, it is criminalized by International Law to which we are signatory. That's covered in Article VI of the US Constitution. You should check it out.

  2. #212
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    It is unconstitutional because if nothing else, it is criminalized by International Law to which we are signatory. That's covered in Article VI of the US Constitution. You should check it out.

    I see you are still not paying attention.
    It was already repeated for you once, but I will do it again. I will even make it bigger for you so you can't miss it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    ... try to keep up.
    Your argument was unsound. The Constitution does not outlaw enhanced interrogation techniques.

    What you are looking for is passed legislation which has become Law or in it's stead, a Treaty obligation. Which while authorized by the Constitution, is not itself a Constitutional argument.
    Last edited by Excon; 12-13-14 at 12:12 PM.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  3. #213
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    It wasn't done as punishment.
    Spa treatment?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #214
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    I see you are stil not pauying attention.
    It was already repeated for you once, but I will do it again. I will even make it bigger for you so you can't miss it.

    You're not even spelling correctly. And the sophistry you present makes you consistent.

  5. #215
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    You're not even spelling correctly. And the sophistry you present makes you consistent.
    My spelling is not an issue here. But thanks for pointing it out. The errors been corrected.
    And the only sophistry here is yours.
    You have no valid argument.
    Last edited by Excon; 12-13-14 at 12:18 PM.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  6. #216
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Spa treatment?
    Do you not know the subject material?
    Have you not read the thread?

    It was done for purposes of interrogation. Not punishment.
    There is no Constitutional argument as it was not done as punishment.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  7. #217
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Do you not know the subject material?
    Have you not read the thread?

    It was done for purposes of interrogation. Not punishment.
    There is no Constitutional argument as it was not done as punishment.
    "...purposes of interrogation" does not equate to "not punishment". It can still be punishment/torture regardless the 'purpose' or what they hoped to gain from it.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #218
    Educator Meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    02-22-15 @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    677

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    Hogwash.

    If it were done to you, you would consider it torture. It IS torture.
    Apparently, you didn't go to the concerts I went to back in the 60's and 70's.
    Also, you were speaking of laws and my post was just refuting what you stated, and it WAS true, they weren't considered torture.
    Last edited by Meister; 12-13-14 at 12:33 PM.

  9. #219
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    "...purposes of interrogation" does not equate to "not punishment". It can still be punishment/torture regardless the 'purpose' or what they hoped to gain from it.
    Why are you not paying attention?
    We are discussing one specific argument made.
    The person said it was against the constitution when it isn't.
    Either you understand that or you don't.
    Focus. It was not done for purpose of punishment, which is what the Constitution does not allow. It was done for purposes of interrogation.

    And since you too are not paying attention to what has already been said.
    Pay attention.
    What you are looking for is passed legislation which has become Law or in it's stead, a Treaty obligation. Which while authorized by the Constitution, is not itself a Constitutional argument.

    Do you or do you not understand the above?
    Either Law or treaty obligation, but not a Constitutional argument.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  10. #220
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    The rules of military engagement and war aren't governed by our constitution, anyway.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Page 22 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •