Page 21 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 822

Thread: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

  1. #201
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    That one finger can easily be countered with some body bags.
    Not easily it can't in this case.

  2. #202
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    The same CIA that missed the fall if the Berlin Wall, 911 etc., was sure there were WMD's in Iraq?

    I am surprised you would take their word at face value. Of course they are going to say that, would you expect them to say. "yeah, what we've been doing isn't really effective but it's fun?

    The Senate committee was both parties. I heard no dissent in fact both Republicans and Democrats are behind it. Anything that congress can agree on has to have merit.

    To me, the CIA does not and never has.
    And you believe Feinstein.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #203
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,592

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    The same CIA that missed the fall if the Berlin Wall, 911 etc., was sure there were WMD's in Iraq?

    I am surprised you would take their word at face value. Of course they are going to say that, would you expect them to say. "yeah, what we've been doing isn't really effective but it's fun?

    The Senate committee was both parties. I heard no dissent in fact both Republicans and Democrats are behind it. Anything that congress can agree on has to have merit.

    To me, the CIA does not and never has.
    1) the CIA didn't miss the wall coming down. They made the wall come down.

    2) 9/11 really didn't fall under CIA's jurisdiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #204
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Only an idiot hack would believe that a report designed to return a singular outcome that heard no witness testimony, that did not interview ANYBODY who was contemporaneously involved, and completely prepared and delivered by a butt hurt Senator who was "spied" on during the mid-terms, AND has been thoroughly denied in almost every single way. The butt hurt senator can't even explain to the American people how they (The CIA) lied, and what was the lie.. To add insult to injury, congress critters that have denied knowing about EIT, namely Pelosi and company, have been shown not just that they were there and asked why we were doing more, but that they were there at least on 20 occasions.

    So again, someone want to tell me exactly why in the world of all fantasy land worlds would they even begin to entertain such a report? It might as well have been prepared by media matters.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  5. #205
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    The constitution does not outlaw enhanced interrogation techniques.

    Enhanced interrogation is not done as punishment.
    Bush euphemisms and propaganda may satisfy your mind and intellect, but not mine. Torture is torture, no matter what political euphemisms are used.

    Are you suggesting that rape is OK as long as it is not done as punishment?

    OMG, such simple minds....
    That is a pretty absurd reply.
    Do we have laws that cover rape? Yep! We sure do.
    Hence your reply is absurd.
    And if rape was employed as punishment for a crime it would be ruled unconstitutional.


    And way to miss the point that EIT are not done as punishment.
    If it had been the argument would be solid, but as it wasn't, the argument is as unsound as it is infirm.
    And that isn't a euphemism.
    Last edited by Excon; 12-13-14 at 01:54 AM.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  6. #206
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,483

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I agree with everything you said here.

    I think Obama will ignore it to the best of his ability. He didn't want it released (neither did Kerry, nor Brennan, and so on). If something bad comes out of it, he wants no part of it. There have been no attacks on this country since 2001. Obama isn't stupid. He doesn't want that to change while he's in the WH. He'll let Feinstein and company take ownership of this.
    No successful attacks, but they have tried.

  7. #207
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,315

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    That is a pretty absurd reply.
    Do we have laws that cover rape? Yep! We sure do.
    Hence your reply is absurd.
    And if rape was employed as punishment for a crime it would be ruled unconstitutional.


    And way to miss the point that EIT are not done as punishment.
    If it had been the argument would be solid, but as it wasn't, the argument is as unsound as it is infirm.
    And that isn't a euphemism.
    News break for you--we also have laws that cover torture.

  8. #208
    Educator Meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    02-22-15 @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    677

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    News break for you--we also have laws that cover torture.
    Waterboarding and loud music wasn't considered a torture at the time.

  9. #209
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,315

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Meister View Post
    Waterboarding and loud music wasn't considered a torture at the time.
    Hogwash.

    If it were done to you, you would consider it torture. It IS torture.

  10. #210
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    News break for you--we also have laws that cover torture.
    News break for you. Read the thread. The comment was about it being unconstitutional. It isn't. It wasn't done as punishment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    ... try to keep up.
    Your argument was unsound. The Constitution does not outlaw enhanced interrogation techniques.

    What you are looking for is passed legislation which has become Law or in it's stead, a Treaty obligation. Which while authorized by the Constitution, is not itself a Constitutional argument.

    You really should have read the thread. D'oh!




    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    Hogwash.

    If it were done to you, you would consider it torture. It IS torture.
    It wasn't considered torture.
    Last edited by Excon; 12-13-14 at 11:39 AM.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

Page 21 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •