Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 822

Thread: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

  1. #11
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Okay, so you're just going to lie. This part of the discussion is done.
    There are no lies there.
    You saying such is a lie. It has been disputed and that is not a lie. You may not believe it, but you do not get to say it is a lie that it was disputed.

    Secondly, it wasn't done as punishment, but to extract information. Which shows your argument to be infirm.




    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Try to keep up. If torture is only impermissible if it is used purely for punishment, then why isn't alright to torture you for coercive purposes?
    You try to keep up.
    Your argument was unsound. The Constitution does not outlaw enhanced interrogation techniques.

    What you are looking for is passed legislation which has become Law or in it's stead, a Treaty obligation. Which while authorized by the Constitution, is not itself a Constitutional argument.
    Last edited by Excon; 12-11-14 at 04:14 AM.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  2. #12
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,948

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    The UN won't be able to really do anything to American officials, but the announcement is important nonetheless. It means there's a record somewhere that the wrong has been acknowledged and that someone should pay for it, even if only in spirit.

    Our country has really lost its way, and it gets worse and worse all the time.

  3. #13
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,934

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    The UN, as it is, needs to be disbanded.
    Funny how the we treat the UN- we used a UN resolution as a pretext to invade Iraq and now that they are criticizing us we demand its dismantlement.

  4. #14
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,123

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Tough.
    "Oh no no no, you got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. ” -- Sheriff Chris Mannix

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    09-26-15 @ 04:38 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,143

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    We should just end the u.n. All together, but yes people need to be prosecuted for torture. It's obvious we broke international law, as well as the sanctity of the nation falls on our representatives and when they abuse their power it reflects on every singe one of us.

    However we need to stop funding the u.n. But this prosecution of torture isn't the reason, it's because the u.n. And the IMF have effectivley destroyed the soverinty of almost every nation today

  6. #16
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Nobody gives a damn what the UN says. They are an impotent bunch of posers on a ridiculously expensive never-ending boondoggle. As far as solving "world problems", they're worse than useless.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  7. #17
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Definitely should happen. People foolishly think anyone at guantanamo was a terrorist, but roughly half were released within a year, and were simply at the wrong place at the wrong time, when they were accosted, kidnapped, denied due process and in many cases tortured before release.

    If the "Justice" department won't do its job and uphold basic principles of human dignity, i'm all for returning the favor and the UN hiring foreign agents to come here, arrest and move these CIA agents to another country for prosecution. Something akin to the nuremburg trials could begin in earnest

  8. #18
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Of course there should be prosecutions for this. The US constitution prohibits torture. Government officials who authorized it and carried it out should pay for their crime. And it's a war crime. If there are not punishments for breaking the law, why bother having it?
    These people will never be sent to the Hague.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    [Due to] the fact that the US has said, straight up, if any of it's people go the Hague, we will invade the Netherlands. U.S.: 'Hague Invasion Act' Becomes Law | Human Rights Watch Dutch still wincing at Bush-era 'Invasion of The Hague Act' - CSMonitor.com On 'The Hague Invasion Act'
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  9. #19
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,703
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    If it can be shown that US officials authorized and carried out a program of torture then we need to prosecute them. Emphasis on the word "WE". As in US courts, US judicial system.

    "UN officials" can shampoo my crotch. If it weren't for double standards these people would have no standards at all.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,914
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Of course there should be prosecutions for this. The US constitution prohibits torture. Government officials who authorized it and carried it out should pay for their crime. And it's a war crime. If there are not punishments for breaking the law, why bother having it?
    I say the same thing about our immigration laws, why bother to have any. They don't mean a thing. When it comes to enforcing the laws, depending on one's political leanings it is all pick and choose.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •