Page 14 of 83 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 822

Thread: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

  1. #131
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    Really? You adore killing dozens of civilians (including children) for every drone strike target?

    41 men targeted but 1,147 people killed: US drone strikes
    Never, luckily those aren't the true figures. Reprieve is just an anti-death penalty human rights group that tried its hand at drone and intelligence reporting. They did a bad job.

    In depth studies, monitoring of local Pakistani media, and close reports of every strikes have yielded more accurate numbers used by most think tanks and intelligence organizations. The Long War Journal is among the most respected of them all when it comes to this.

    Drone Wars Pakistan: Analysis | The International Security Program
    The Long War Journal - Charts on US Strikes in Pakistan

  2. #132
    feckless bon vivant

    radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    lotusland
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,761

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    So now you're saying there WERE weapons found and the invasion was completely justified.
    I still hear this stated as fact.
    Interestingly, the Bush administration never bothered to promulgate this lie.

    Sorry, that is beyond believable. The point is there were no active weapons, EVERY word uttered by Colin Powell was wrong.
    Powell read from the script he was given.
    Being a good soldier, he followed orders.
    To his great discredit.
    No matter how cynical I become toward politicians, it's never enough.

  3. #133
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,915
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    So now you're saying there WERE weapons found and the invasion was completely justified.

    Sorry, that is beyond believable. The point is there were no active weapons, EVERY word uttered by Colin Powell was wrong.
    I never said anything about being completely justified or not.

    The fact remains that the occupation forces did find remnants of WMD weapons caches, after they had been moved, so the WMD weapons were there at one time, and may very well have been there when that position was being presented. After Saddam's' 'hide the weenie' game with Blix and the UN, who knows where they ended up. I'm kinda guessing Syria, as that's when next chem weapons were used in the theater, but that's just a guess.

    And no, Colin Powell was not incorrect in EVERY word he uttered. EVERY word is quite a large body of work, and it'd be statistically impossible for him to have been wrong on every last one. Let's start this way: Which point or points do you believe the Colin Powell was wrong on?
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  4. #134
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    Funny how the we treat the UN- we used a UN resolution as a pretext to invade Iraq and now that they are criticizing us we demand its dismantlement.
    And? If they were not there we would not have. So what?
    We would have went forward on the violations of his surrender agreement.
    So again, so what?
    I get your point, but it is pretty much irrelevant, as irrelevant as the UN has become.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  5. #135
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:00 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,571

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Of course there should be prosecutions for this. The US constitution prohibits torture. Government officials who authorized it and carried it out should pay for their crime. And it's a war crime. If there are not punishments for breaking the law, why bother having it?
    Does the US constitution apply to illegal combatants?

  6. #136
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,467

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    I never said anything about being completely justified or not.

    The fact remains that the occupation forces did find remnants of WMD weapons caches, after they had been moved, so the WMD weapons were there at one time, and may very well have been there when that position was being presented. After Saddam's' 'hide the weenie' game with Blix and the UN, who knows where they ended up. I'm kinda guessing Syria, as that's when next chem weapons were used in the theater, but that's just a guess.

    And no, Colin Powell was not incorrect in EVERY word he uttered. EVERY word is quite a large body of work, and it'd be statistically impossible for him to have been wrong on every last one. Let's start this way: Which point or points do you believe the Colin Powell was wrong on?
    So ****ing what?

    Of the so called "facts" Colin Powell presented to the UN countering Blix's position which were correct?

    Were active WMD's found in those locations? Or any?

    Finding evidence that WMD's once existed is not finding WMD's. The whole ****ing invasion was as much a sham as Obamacare
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  7. #137
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,915
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    So ****ing what?

    Of the so called "facts" Colin Powell presented to the UN countering Blix's position which were correct?

    Were active WMD's found in those locations? Or any?

    Finding evidence that WMD's once existed is not finding WMD's. The whole ****ing invasion was as much a sham as Obamacare
    I'll agree that ObamaCare wa / is a sham. However:
    But WikiLeaks’ newly-released Iraq war documents reveal that for years afterward, U.S. troops continued to find chemical weapons labs, encounter insurgent specialists in toxins and uncover weapons of mass destruction.
    . . .
    In August 2004, for instance, American forces surreptitiously purchased what they believed to be containers of liquid sulfur mustard, a toxic “blister agent” used as a chemical weapon since World War I. The troops tested the liquid, and “reported two positive results for blister.” The chemical was then “triple-sealed and transported to a secure site” outside their base.

    Three months later, in northern Iraq, U.S. scouts went to look in on a “chemical weapons” complex. “One of the bunkers has been tampered with,” they write. “The integrity of the seal [around the complex] appears intact, but it seems someone is interesting in trying to get into the bunkers.”

    Meanwhile, the second battle of Fallujah was raging in Anbar province. In the southeastern corner of the city, American forces came across a “house with a chemical lab … substances found are similar to ones (in lesser quantities located a previous chemical lab.” The following day, there’s a call in another part of the city for explosive experts to dispose of a “chemical cache.”

    Nearly three years later, American troops were still finding WMD in the region. An armored Buffalo vehicle unearthed a cache of artillery shells “that was covered by sacks and leaves under an Iraqi Community Watch checkpoint. “The 155mm rounds are filled with an unknown liquid, and several of which are leaking a black tar-like substance.” Initial tests were inconclusive. But later, “the rounds tested positive for mustard.”
    . . .
    But the more salient issue may be how insurgents and Islamic extremists (possibly with the help of Iran) attempted to use these lethal and exotic arms. As Spencer noted earlier, a January 2006 war log claims that “neuroparalytic” chemical weapons were smuggled in from Iran.

    That same month, then “chemical weapons specialists” were apprehended in Balad. These “foreigners” were there specifically “to support the chemical weapons operations.” The following month, an intelligence report refers to a “chemical weapons expert” that “provided assistance with the gas weapons.” What happened to that specialist, the WikiLeaked document doesn’t say.
    WikiLeaks Show WMD Hunt Continued in Iraq - With Surprising Results | WIRED

    You can dismiss it as non-existent, or you can dismiss it as inconsequential, or you can admit that there were WMDs in Iraq and they were moved. Since it's from Wikileaks and that's from actual internal military war report materials, the same information the generals are making decision with, I'd have to assume that it's more accurate than fabricated.
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  8. #138
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    There is only one necessary response to the UN on this, and all it takes is one finger.

  9. #139
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:45 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,357

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    So ****ing what?

    Of the so called "facts" Colin Powell presented to the UN countering Blix's position which were correct?

    Were active WMD's found in those locations? Or any?

    Finding evidence that WMD's once existed is not finding WMD's. The whole ****ing invasion was as much a sham as Obamacare
    Sure the weapons were no longer functional and Powell was lousy diplomat. But Saddam was not willing to comply with the Security Council resolution. The inspectors could not inspect. It was really very simple. The invasion was totally legitimate.

  10. #140
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:45 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,357

    Re: UN Officials Demand Prosecutions for US Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by KLATTU View Post
    Does the US constitution apply to illegal combatants?
    Dead or alive?

Page 14 of 83 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •