“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman
Regardless of the fact that it was a Dem or GOP, it is the POTUS, and in order to ensure that he has adequate security, etc., and this is a conference that the USA must attend, it is an expenditure that is required. How much do the British pay for the Royals?
It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Another BS story from the right wing. The headline cited by the OP provides the obvious clue, "President Obama charges taxpayers $1.7 MILLION for one-night hotel stay at G20 summit in Australia."
Well, no. Some unknown costs for the entire U.S. delegation, from security to support to diplomats to the POTUS, totaled $1.7 million for the entire time U.S. personnel were on site prepping for, during, and after the Summit, which was far longer than "one night."
1) The 4,096 figure was total nights for all of the delegation, so if 1 security person arrived two weeks early to set up security, stayed during the conference, and a few days after for clean up/removal, he or she would count for perhaps 20 nights of the total. Same with all the diplomats who spend days or weeks in pre-Summit meetings so the big boys arrive during the Summit and announce what it took weeks for underlings to accomplish.
2) There is no breakdown of the costs, so who knows what the totals include.
3) How large was the delegation and who did it include? Who knows..
4) How much of the delegation was security/diplomats/support/POTUS and assistants, etc.?
5) Is the delegation larger or smaller than in previous years/administrations? Who knows...
6) Who among the delegation should have been left at home?
Just another edition of "Obama Outrage O' The Day" from the right wing puke funnel.
Last edited by JasperL; 12-10-14 at 03:47 PM.