Page 21 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 816

Thread: Senate panel releases scathing report on CIA interrogation...

  1. #201
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 12:55 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,940

    Re: Senate panel releases scathing report on CIA interrogation...

    Prior to the releasing of this document all the media claimed it would result in killings of Americans all over the world. Having listened to Diane Feinstein I almost broke out in laughter. Recall for a second what the Nazis said after learning about Patton being denounced for slapping a soldier. They said they would have shot the soldier. Now move to present day and imagine what other world leaders and terror group leaders thought when they heard old Diane read the list of "no-no's" the CIA did. Did she mention how many were hospitalized or died from these tactics? Did she mention a single broken bone or laceration? "Kept in the dark", "water boarded", "stripped naked and made to wear diapers"??!!! These are the monster tactics the document contains??!! Has she ever witnessed an American boxing match, an American football game or American martial arts? This could be one of the silliest items in our recent history. This is equal to calling 911 because you ordered a larger order of fries and got a small one.

  2. #202
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,344

    Re: Senate panel releases scathing report on CIA interrogation...

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    You honestly think the CIA are telling the truth? The blood is on their hands.
    Do you honestly think DiFi cares one way or the other about the truth?

  3. #203
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Senate panel releases scathing report on CIA interrogation...

    Quote Originally Posted by rhinefire View Post
    Prior to the releasing of this document all the media claimed it would result in killings of Americans all over the world. Having listened to Diane Feinstein I almost broke out in laughter. Recall for a second what the Nazis said after learning about Patton being denounced for slapping a soldier. They said they would have shot the soldier. Now move to present day and imagine what other world leaders and terror group leaders thought when they heard old Diane read the list of "no-no's" the CIA did. Did she mention how many were hospitalized or died from these tactics? Did she mention a single broken bone or laceration? "Kept in the dark", "water boarded", "stripped naked and made to wear diapers"??!!! These are the monster tactics the document contains??!! Has she ever witnessed an American boxing match, an American football game or American martial arts? This could be one of the silliest items in our recent history. This is equal to calling 911 because you ordered a larger order of fries and got a small one.

    Excellent analysis rhine....What's amazing to me is that I see all sorts of libs wringing their hands, and screaming with pursed lips about how Cheney and the CIA lied on the one hand, and how wrong, and unconstitutional this was, while on the other their own lying about things like the ACA was perfectly fine...Bunch of hypocrites all of em....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #204
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Senate panel releases scathing report on CIA interrogation...

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Control of the news and yet another attempt to bait the republicants into reacting stupidly. The hope is to paint the republicants as being pro torture and the fact that it may endanger US troops, embassy folks, contractors or tourists was deemed to be acceptable collateral damage.
    In 2005, the entire government, along with a large segment of the populace, was pro-torture, and proud of it.

    Only we freethinkers opposed the practice. Only radicals called John Yoo and Bush & Cheney what they were. In a time of universal deception, speaking the truth is a radical act.

  5. #205
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Senate panel releases scathing report on CIA interrogation...

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Please don't do that...This "report" written solely by demo aids, and pushed forward without as much as a single interview of one person involved is little more than Feinstein's [sp] snotty little attempt to relieve her own conscience after knowing full well what was going on during the time. Not to mention there are reports that she released it in a revenge tirade, knowing full well it may cost other American's their lives. Anything, or anyone that gets killed over this is on her directly...Hope she feels better...Dumb bitch.
    Mornin JMac. Here is Peter baker of the NY Times and what the pushback is with Feinstein.


    What’s the pushback from Senator Feinstein’s people on this?

    PB: Well, I mean, their argument would be that they’ve spent a lot of time on this, five years, really, and that this is the most comprehensive look at this that we’ve seen publicly, yet. You’re right. They didn’t interview everybody. They were, they say they were constrained, to some extent, because while they were doing a lot of the research, it happened to coincide with the Department of Justice inquiry, and they didn’t want to get in the way of a criminal inquiry. But you know, what it does is it leaves some unanswered questions. I find myself most interested in sort of what it tells about the White House, right? And it’s interesting, because they have a lot of these CIA documents about what CIA did or did not tell the White House. But that’s sort of the edge of the waters for them, because they don’t then take us inside the White House and say okay, if the President wasn’t briefed by the CIA on these interrogation techniques, one of the things they said, what was happening inside the White House? Did Condi Rice brief him? Did Steve Hadley brief him? What did he know about it? What did he not know about it? And because they didn’t interview those people, we don’t really have answer to some of those questions.

    PB: Well, the Senate Committee, the Democratic majority does. They’ve done a case study of these 20 instances that have been most cited as examples of where the program provided intelligence that helped to thwart attacks or otherwise meaningfully improve our understanding of al Qaeda. And they argue that in some of these cases, they already had the information from other sources, or in other cases, the information wasn’t as critical as has been made out to be. And it’s been exaggerated or overstated. Part of the problem, of course, is you’re talking about counterfactuals, right? If they didn’t do this, what would have happened? And it’s sort of like if not this, then that, right? They did get some information. Could they have gotten it a different way? How do we know for sure people were drawing lines and coming to conclusions? But you know, in part, that’s going to be a matter of interpretation.....snip~

  6. #206
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,650

    Re: Senate panel releases scathing report on CIA interrogation...

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    In 2005, the entire government, along with a large segment of the populace, was pro-torture, and proud of it.

    Only we freethinkers opposed the practice. Only radicals called John Yoo and Bush & Cheney what they were. In a time of universal deception, speaking the truth is a radical act.
    We have now evolved into simply zapping folks placed on a secret list - which is much better.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #207
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Senate panel releases scathing report on CIA interrogation...

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Mornin JMac. Here is Peter baker of the NY Times and what the pushback is with Feinstein.


    What’s the pushback from Senator Feinstein’s people on this?

    PB: Well, I mean, their argument would be that they’ve spent a lot of time on this, five years, really, and that this is the most comprehensive look at this that we’ve seen publicly, yet. You’re right. They didn’t interview everybody. They were, they say they were constrained, to some extent, because while they were doing a lot of the research, it happened to coincide with the Department of Justice inquiry, and they didn’t want to get in the way of a criminal inquiry. But you know, what it does is it leaves some unanswered questions. I find myself most interested in sort of what it tells about the White House, right? And it’s interesting, because they have a lot of these CIA documents about what CIA did or did not tell the White House. But that’s sort of the edge of the waters for them, because they don’t then take us inside the White House and say okay, if the President wasn’t briefed by the CIA on these interrogation techniques, one of the things they said, what was happening inside the White House? Did Condi Rice brief him? Did Steve Hadley brief him? What did he know about it? What did he not know about it? And because they didn’t interview those people, we don’t really have answer to some of those questions.

    PB: Well, the Senate Committee, the Democratic majority does. They’ve done a case study of these 20 instances that have been most cited as examples of where the program provided intelligence that helped to thwart attacks or otherwise meaningfully improve our understanding of al Qaeda. And they argue that in some of these cases, they already had the information from other sources, or in other cases, the information wasn’t as critical as has been made out to be. And it’s been exaggerated or overstated. Part of the problem, of course, is you’re talking about counterfactuals, right? If they didn’t do this, what would have happened? And it’s sort of like if not this, then that, right? They did get some information. Could they have gotten it a different way? How do we know for sure people were drawing lines and coming to conclusions? But you know, in part, that’s going to be a matter of interpretation.....snip~
    So, it's lots of 'Monday morning quaterbacking', yet I just can't get over the fact that these people like Feinstein started a report 3 years after the last enemy was waterboarded, and took 5 years from that to compile, then release it against the wishes of even their own political protests from the WH today...Why? Does she think that Cheney is still to be "frog marched" to the ICC for trial? Do they care that they aid the enemy in their actions like this?

    They are cretins....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #208
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Senate panel releases scathing report on CIA interrogation...

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So, it's lots of 'Monday morning quaterbacking', yet I just can't get over the fact that these people like Feinstein started a report 3 years after the last enemy was waterboarded, and took 5 years from that to compile, then release it against the wishes of even their own political protests from the WH today...Why? Does she think that Cheney is still to be "frog marched" to the ICC for trial? Do they care that they aid the enemy in their actions like this?

    They are cretins....
    They were yesterday Right after the report came out.


    Max Boot, senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations.


    MB: Well, I’m dismayed that it’s being released, that it really is not clear to me what the imperative is to put this out unto the world when we know it’s going to have harmful consequences. We know it’s going to become a recruiting tool for terrorists, that they will go to town on all of these allegations contained within the report. And yet the practices described therein have already been discontinued, long discontinued. So this is certainly not an attempt to change current policy. To me, it’s very counterproductive and harmful, and I’m deeply sorry that Senator Feinstein decided to release it.

    MB: It certainly looks that way, and that’s certainly the impression you get from reading the Republican dissent. I mean, this is not at all a bipartisan document. It was prepared by the Democratic majority staff over the fierce objections of the Republicans. And now it’s out there for the entire world to make of it what they will. You know, to me, this is in some ways reminiscent of the 1970s when you had the Church Committee and the Pike Committee holding hearings, and releasing reports about alleged CIA misconduct, all of which turned out to actually be approved by the various presidents of the United States. So it really wasn’t CIA misconduct they were objecting to. It was covert actions that were fully and legally authorized, just as this program was fully and legally authorized by President Bush with the acquiescence and knowledge of the Congressional leadership, as you just mentioned.

    MB: That’s true, and I think what makes this really troubling is the fact that both the House and Senate Intelligence Committees have a long record of bipartisan cooperation. This is not, these are not these committees where there’s typically a lot of partisan bickering and posturing. Most things are done with unanimity. So the fact that Senator Feinstein has pushed forward this report over such strong and vociferous opposition from very centrist Republicans, everybody on the panel except for Susan Collins, that, to me, is troubling. And it should signal right there that this is not an objective assessment of the facts, that there is some other agenda here, whether partisan or personal going on here, and it should certainly lead to questions about the report’s conclusions. But I fear that all this nuance is going to be lost in the kind of hyperactive media coverage that this report is receiving......snip~

    Max Boot Blasts Release Of Senate Report « The Hugh Hewitt Show
    Last edited by MMC; 12-10-14 at 10:13 AM.

  9. #209
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: Senate panel releases scathing report on CIA interrogation...

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Oh, you mean you want to link again to other like minded libs crying about an inconvenient fact? go ahead and look as foolish as you want.

    Fact is, war is not won, nor lives saved during it by offering our enemies tea, and crumpets for intel. I suggest that you study up on the D-Day invasion, and the Nazi 19 in the lead up, and educate yourself...When the chips are down, and American lives are on the line, we employ some tough measures....War isn't a board game.
    The reality is...I LIKE that we have soft fuzzy bunnies that are outraged at the harsh tactics and realities of war. I have grandkids and I dont want them to be exposed to the ugliness that others have to face sometimes to preserve peace and security for those soft cuddly fluffy bunnies. People want to be outraged that the CIA utilized harsh interrogation techniques (techniques that leaders of both parties were well briefed on) against terrorists in an attempt to gain information? Good for them. Those that are outraged have no business being in the national security game, but then...not everyone needs to be in that game. They can afford to be in the soft fuzzy bunny business precisely because others are willing to be in the cold hard harsh reality game.

    Soft fuzzy bunnies should never be expected to deal with the kind of people that would rape and then butcher children in the name of their great and glorious cause. Soft fuzzy bunnies should not be expected to counter the kind of people that will kill unarmed innocent men women and children at random or chant the praises of their God while they methodically saw a mans head off in front of cameras. Soft fuzzy bunnies should not be expected to fight the kind of people that would hijack 4 airplanes and kill all the passengers on those planes as well as as many as the can kill in New York, DC, and other locales. Soft fuzzy bunnies should not be expected to confront people that will gather small children and methodically and while forcing the others to watch, one by one crush their skills with rocks. Soft fuzzy bunnies should not be expected to confront bad people and they should be happy they live in a country where they can be and most importantly AFFORD to be outraged that people would employ 'harsh' interrogation tactics to try to stop the kind of people listed above.

    God bless the soft fuzzy bunnies.

  10. #210
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: Senate panel releases scathing report on CIA interrogation...

    “That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

    Orwell.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

Page 21 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •