Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 176

Thread: Philly Mayor: ‘You Have Some Police Officers Who Are Increasingly Afraid...."

  1. #51
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Philly Mayor: ‘You Have Some Police Officers Who Are Increasingly Afraid...."

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    it needs to be mandated federally and paid for with taxes. has to be done. my guess is that it's inevitable now.
    No, the feds don't have the grant of power to do so. They can try to convince all the states to require them of their cops, but that's about it. And NO, just hell no, we don't want to federalize the police.

  2. #52
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Philly Mayor: ‘You Have Some Police Officers Who Are Increasingly Afraid...."

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    that will matter a lot less if everything is documented.
    I doubt it. Look at Ferguson and what's his face in NY. It doesn't matter what the facts of the case are, the people still think both those situations was racially motivated. Facts and evidence don't matter to these people. They think the cops are racist and they won't listen otherwise.

  3. #53
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Philly Mayor: ‘You Have Some Police Officers Who Are Increasingly Afraid...."

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No, the feds don't have the grant of power to do so. They can try to convince all the states to require them of their cops, but that's about it. And NO, just hell no, we don't want to federalize the police.
    I don't see a whole lot of states saying no to the plan. I think ultimately it matters more where to implement it. I don't think every policeman in the country needs a body camera, but those in the major cities, especially where police are likely to have violent encounters with blacks, they should have it. And really, the police want to do it, because it cuts down on a lot of false complaints as test cases have shown.

  4. #54
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,105

    Re: Philly Mayor: ‘You Have Some Police Officers Who Are Increasingly Afraid...."

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No, the feds don't have the grant of power to do so. They can try to convince all the states to require them of their cops, but that's about it. And NO, just hell no, we don't want to federalize the police.
    i'm not arguing to federalize the police. i'm arguing that this should be a nationwide (funded) regulation.

  5. #55
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,105

    Re: Philly Mayor: ‘You Have Some Police Officers Who Are Increasingly Afraid...."

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    I doubt it. Look at Ferguson and what's his face in NY. It doesn't matter what the facts of the case are, the people still think both those situations was racially motivated. Facts and evidence don't matter to these people. They think the cops are racist and they won't listen otherwise.
    they can believe whatever they want. the evidence needs to be documented to protect both sides. it will solve a lot of problems.

  6. #56
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Philly Mayor: ‘You Have Some Police Officers Who Are Increasingly Afraid...."

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    I don't see a whole lot of states saying no to the plan. I think ultimately it matters more where to implement it. I don't think every policeman in the country needs a body camera, but those in the major cities, especially where police are likely to have violent encounters with blacks, they should have it. And really, the police want to do it, because it cuts down on a lot of false complaints as test cases have shown.
    I think there will be, as well as a lot of counties who won't/can't sign on due to budgetary concerns. Even when the feds double dog promise to pay for something, we all know they leave the states and the counties holding the bag.

  7. #57
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Philly Mayor: ‘You Have Some Police Officers Who Are Increasingly Afraid...."

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    i'm not arguing to federalize the police. i'm arguing that this should be a nationwide (funded) regulation.
    The only way to do that is to nationalize the police.

  8. #58
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,105

    Re: Philly Mayor: ‘You Have Some Police Officers Who Are Increasingly Afraid...."

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    The only way to do that is to nationalize the police.
    ok, explain why congress can't pass a federal regulation.

  9. #59
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Philly Mayor: ‘You Have Some Police Officers Who Are Increasingly Afraid...."

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    i'm not arguing to federalize the police. i'm arguing that this should be a nationwide (funded) regulation.
    I do agree with you it would help with a myriad of things, I'm just saying it won't fix the supposed larger issue of race. Strangely enough, police brutality is only a small side issue to that, despite the fact that played a much bigger role with the Garner case, and the fact that a black officer was in charge on the scene. I am curious though, you're not talking about doing this for every police force around the country are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I think there will be, as well as a lot of counties who won't/can't sign on due to budgetary concerns. Even when the feds double dog promise to pay for something, we all know they leave the states and the counties holding the bag.
    Obama's already asked congress for the 300 million or so for the plan, so they'll get the money. I think he's serious about this one.

  10. #60
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,105

    Re: Philly Mayor: ‘You Have Some Police Officers Who Are Increasingly Afraid...."

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    I do agree with you it would help with a myriad of things, I'm just saying it won't fix the supposed larger issue of race. Strangely enough, police brutality is only a small side issue to that, despite the fact that played a much bigger role with the Garner case, and the fact that a black officer was in charge on the scene. I am curious though, you're not talking about doing this for every police force around the country are you?
    yeah, i think the cameras should be on all police officers. enough of this ****. it protects both sides, and is just a common sense solution. i don't see any reason not to do it.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •