Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 176

Thread: Philly Mayor: ‘You Have Some Police Officers Who Are Increasingly Afraid...."

  1. #151
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,069

    Re: Philly Mayor: ‘You Have Some Police Officers Who Are Increasingly Afraid...."

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    Money is a big reason, especially when efficiency is taken into account. Hit the areas that see the most friction between cops and blacks, and you'll solve this issue without having to waste money.
    bu this kind of stuff is everywhere. it might be more concentrated in the cities, but even in rural areas, there are people who got arrested and claim police brutality.

  2. #152
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Philly Mayor: ‘You Have Some Police Officers Who Are Increasingly Afraid...."

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    What needs to happen is for the good cops (the 98% of cops out there) to start weeding out the bad apples rather than adhering to the code of silence. The bad cops make it harder for the good cops to do their job as the community loses faith in the police department and loses respect for the department. If the good cops would help get rid of the bad ones they would be improving their own quality of life, but sadly the code of silence is strong.
    Lets be honest... the community's faith in their police department goes as far as their nightly CNN tells them to let it go.

    Many departments can have a full crew doing the right thing all the time, and then some incident like the past few show up and ruin it for them because people start acting out against the police department due to **** that happened halfway across the ****in' map.

    It is both pathetic but true. And, unfortunately, mostly outside of the control of the local department.

  3. #153
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Philly Mayor: ‘You Have Some Police Officers Who Are Increasingly Afraid...."

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    What needs to happen is for the good cops (the 98% of cops out there) to start weeding out the bad apples rather than adhering to the code of silence. The bad cops make it harder for the good cops to do their job as the community loses faith in the police department and loses respect for the department. If the good cops would help get rid of the bad ones they would be improving their own quality of life, but sadly the code of silence is strong.
    Stop right there please. If a 'good' cop is covering for a bad cop, that immediately turns that 'good' cop into a bad cop as they are being complicit in protecting the bad cop.

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Philly Mayor: ‘You Have Some Police Officers Who are Increasingly Afraid of the Community’ « CBS St. Louis



    This discussion hints at the REAL source of the problem, which CNN and the msm wouldn't dare touch with a 10-foot pole.

    Is this an issue about trusting the police, or is this about resentment for repeatedly getting caught by the police? Do many of these folks want better police enforcement, or do they want no police enforcement? It smells of "my teacher hates me."

    We're headed for a situation where cops will refuse to police these neighborhoods altogether for fear of being singled out like the Ferguson police officer. Rough areas will be left to fend for themselves.

    That, or black officer will be assigned to black neighborhoods, and whites to white neighborhoods. How racially divided does that sound?
    The quote you cited and what you said after literally do not go together. May be people are afraid of the cops because they know that the cops can kill them and probably won't get indicted or face at least a trial.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  4. #154
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Philly Mayor: ‘You Have Some Police Officers Who Are Increasingly Afraid...."

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    What if I am a white cop and I want to work in primarily black communities? What if I am a black cop and I want to work in primarily white communities? Why would I want to be assigned duty based on the color of my skin? If black cops work exclusively in black communities, why would then not want black supervisors and why would black supervisors not want a black chief? The overarching question is why do we still have separate black and white communities?
    Agreed. It really isn't about the race of the cop, but rather how the cops interact with people.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  5. #155
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Philly Mayor: ‘You Have Some Police Officers Who Are Increasingly Afraid...."

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    What are you talking about? The post said:



    I don't know of anyone advocating for segregation, so that's a straw man. You are making up what people want to make your opinion look better.
    Yeah, that's my opinion derived from years of experience more than you on this earth. Sorry you don't like it....But that is what I observe.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #156
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Philly Mayor: ‘You Have Some Police Officers Who Are Increasingly Afraid...."

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Because you have to skirt the Constitution to do what you want, leaving that hole open for all sorts of future abuse. And that's just the first hurdle. Do you seriously believe the NSA won't have access to the daily camera take? Really? How is this different than adding a million drones to the public sector filming 24/7/365? Then there's the who's going to pay question. Federal mandates to the states will only come with insufficient startup funding. A year down the line, county and city budgets that are already stretched to the breaking will be well and truly broken. What sort of tradeoffs in policing does that create? It won't be pretty.


    They could sell their MRAP armored vehicles they don't need to maintain, that would be a good start.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #157
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Philly Mayor: ‘You Have Some Police Officers Who Are Increasingly Afraid...."

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    bu this kind of stuff is everywhere. it might be more concentrated in the cities, but even in rural areas, there are people who got arrested and claim police brutality.
    Well this is where it boils down to what you think the real issue is: is police brutality the issue you are trying to cut down on, or supposed racism among the police force? I think you could do a lot to address police brutality this way, but the race thing can't be proven true or untrue so not amount of money spent is going to fix that issue. Honestly, even if we had video evidence of the Brown case, we'd still of had everything that we have now and you know why I can be so sure? Because even after all the facts of the case come out, people are still claiming that to be a race issue and continuing to spread outright lies (like the hand up, don't shoot nonsense.)

  8. #158
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,069

    Re: Philly Mayor: ‘You Have Some Police Officers Who Are Increasingly Afraid...."

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    Well this is where it boils down to what you think the real issue is: is police brutality the issue you are trying to cut down on, or supposed racism among the police force? I think you could do a lot to address police brutality this way, but the race thing can't be proven true or untrue so not amount of money spent is going to fix that issue. Honestly, even if we had video evidence of the Brown case, we'd still of had everything that we have now and you know why I can be so sure? Because even after all the facts of the case come out, people are still claiming that to be a race issue and continuing to spread outright lies (like the hand up, don't shoot nonsense.)
    i'm not sure how i'm being unclear, but i'll try to clarify further.

    there are many, many he said she said incidents at point of arrest, and not just between black people and white cops. there are tons of accusations concerning the behavior of officers. some are true, and some aren't. this is why we need video documentation. there are already cameras on some patrol cars, and they have proved useful in determining what happens during traffic stops. we should put cameras on the officers so that we can prevent incidents like Ferguson. had the officer in that case been wearing a camera, we would know if he was being attacked when he fired the shots.

    do you understand what i'm saying now?

  9. #159
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: Philly Mayor: ‘You Have Some Police Officers Who Are Increasingly Afraid...."

    Cameras will do as much to protect cops from false accusations as they will to protect citizens from abusive policing. They're a good idea.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #160
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Philly Mayor: ‘You Have Some Police Officers Who Are Increasingly Afraid...."

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    i'm not sure how i'm being unclear, but i'll try to clarify further.

    there are many, many he said she said incidents at point of arrest, and not just between black people and white cops. there are tons of accusations concerning the behavior of officers. some are true, and some aren't. this is why we need video documentation. there are already cameras on some patrol cars, and they have proved useful in determining what happens during traffic stops. we should put cameras on the officers so that we can prevent incidents like Ferguson. had the officer in that case been wearing a camera, we would know if he was being attacked when he fired the shots.

    do you understand what i'm saying now?
    I understand, I'm just saying that even with the video evidence, most blacks would still not believe it. And you know why? Because most have already decided the cops are just racist, or at the least, there is a different set of rules. I think if the issue is just police brutality, then I'm all in. But that's sadly not what the issue is here. Overall I support the move, but I don't think it helps with the racial tension.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •