Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 393

Thread: Satanic Temple display approved for Florida Capitol

  1. #341
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Satanic Temple display approved for Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Many books have proven to be very powerful, and special. The Bible, and the Koran, are just a couple of them.
    It's a regular book. It only lasted 2,000 years. Lots of books last that long.

    I'm sure people will be reading Harry Potter 800 years from now.

  2. #342
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Satanic Temple display approved for Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    This thread revolves around Festivus and the legal decision in Florida.
    It revolves around the legal decision in Florida to allow a Satanic display where there is already a Christian display. It also would allow a Jewish Hanukkah display, an Islamic display or the displays of any other religious group. It just so happens to have been a Satanic display that set off the newest round of Christian whining. It could have been anything.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #343
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Satanic Temple display approved for Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    The meanings of the books, sure.

    But a book, the actual object...has no powers, it is just a book.
    Really? You must not be familiar with Christian history. Many people have been killed over that book. The only modern book that has even come close to that is Catcher In The Rye. It's not even conclusive that the assassination of John Lennon and the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan were even related to Catcher In The Rye.

    No power? Really? You can't be that delusional. The Bible, the Qu'ran and the Bhagavad Gita have inspired many wars. Moby Dick will never do that.

  4. #344
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Satanic Temple display approved for Florida Capitol

    Pastafarians encountered similar bigotry in Chester County Pennsylvania a few years ago. They were flat out denied.


  5. #345
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Satanic Temple display approved for Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    It's a regular book. It only lasted 2,000 years. Lots of books last that long. I'm sure people will be reading Harry Potter 800 years from now.
    Does that make the Harry Potter series 'powerful'? You don't know of any books which have changed the world, or the way people think? Your certainty that Harry Potter will be read 800 years from now maybe be a little optimistic, but who knows? If you enjoy it that much, and there are enough people who share your opinion, you may be right.

  6. #346
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Satanic Temple display approved for Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    It revolves around the legal decision in Florida to allow a Satanic display where there is already a Christian display. It also would allow a Jewish Hanukkah display, an Islamic display or the displays of any other religious group. It just so happens to have been a Satanic display that set off the newest round of Christian whining. It could have been anything.
    Yes, that's all been discussed.

    It's clear that anyone can put up a display but the question is, what drove them to do it?

    We, as adults, can do any number of things that are allowed, or legal, but education, maturity, discretion and respect for others would discourage intelligent people from carrying out these actions. In fact the Jews, Muslims, etc. understand this but it goes right over the head of the Festivus folks and, indeed, gives atheists a bad name..

  7. #347
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Satanic Temple display approved for Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Yes, that's all been discussed.

    It's clear that anyone can put up a display but the question is, what drove them to do it?
    You'd have to go talk to them, you're not going to get that answer sitting on a debate forum.

    We, as adults, can do any number of things that are allowed, or legal, but education, maturity, discretion and respect for others would discourage intelligent people from carrying out these actions. In fact the Jews, Muslims, etc. understand this but it goes right over the head of the Festivus folks and, indeed, gives atheists a bad name..
    It only does so to religious wingnuts. For people who actually understand the separation of church and state, even religious people like Reverend Barry Lynn and others, it doesn't give them a bad name at all.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #348
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Satanic Temple display approved for Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    You'd have to go talk to them, you're not going to get that answer sitting on a debate forum.
    I thought you may have had an opinion.
    It only does so to religious wingnuts. For people who actually understand the separation of church and state, even religious people like Reverend Barry Lynn and others, it doesn't give them a bad name at all.
    Who does Barry Lynn speak for?

  9. #349
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,235

    Re: Satanic Temple display approved for Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Really? You must not be familiar with Christian history. Many people have been killed over that book. The only modern book that has even come close to that is Catcher In The Rye. It's not even conclusive that the assassination of John Lennon and the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan were even related to Catcher In The Rye.

    No power? Really? You can't be that delusional. The Bible, the Qu'ran and the Bhagavad Gita have inspired many wars. Moby Dick will never do that.
    The physical book, paper, binding, glue. Has no supernatural powers...this isn't Buffy the Vampire Slayer...
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  10. #350
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Satanic Temple display approved for Florida Capitol

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I thought you may have had an opinion.
    My opinion has no bearing on why that particular group of people took a particular action. Neither does yours.

    Who does Barry Lynn speak for?
    Depends on the capacity, he's an ordained United Church of Christ minister as well as executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State. Again, you'd have to ask him if you care about what he has to say. He is, however, entirely on the opposite side of this issue from you, apparently anyhow.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •