Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 93

Thread: US chimpanzee Tommy 'has no human rights' - court

  1. #51
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: US chimpanzee Tommy 'has no human rights' - court

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    Scientific observation has proven it time and time again.
    Please provide a valid scientific link and citations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    I don't understand French. Does that mean I can keep a French human locked in a cage as a pet for my own amusement?
    Yet French is a documented lanugage. You can learn French to communicate. Chimpanzee is not a documented language you cannot learn Chimpanzee. Therefore your example is irrelevant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    Humans are animals.
    Yes, and the most basic logic states humans = animals, but, animals ≠ humans. Did you not know that?
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #52
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: US chimpanzee Tommy 'has no human rights' - court

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Please provide a valid scientific link and citations.
    There are literally tens of thousands of such links. Unless you narrow your request to something more specific, this is the best I will do

    https://www.google.com/search?newwin...75.JKtGRYe4PTc



    Yet French is a documented lanugage. You can learn French to communicate. Chimpanzee is not a documented language you cannot learn Chimpanzee. Therefore your example is irrelevant.
    Chimps and other animals have shown the capacity to communicate using a variety of tools. Language is not the only means of communication.

    Yes, and the most basic logic states humans = animals, but, animals ≠ humans. Did you not know that?

    What you said earlier was:
    an animal is an animal and a human is a human.
    The thing is, humans *are* animals. Did you not know this?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    suffolk. england
    Last Seen
    12-14-14 @ 08:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    345

    Re: US chimpanzee Tommy 'has no human rights' - court

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Cruelty is cruelty. Being human doesn't give anyone the right to be cruel and inhumane to animals. If Joey is being mistreated they should have just filed cruelty charges and try to get him transferred to a more accommodating facility rather than try to give him personhood rights. That's just nonsense.
    Or just send him back where he belongs..which is not America..

  4. #54
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: US chimpanzee Tommy 'has no human rights' - court

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    There are literally tens of thousands of such links. Unless you narrow your request to something more specific, this is the best I will do

    https://www.google.com/search?newwin...75.JKtGRYe4PTc
    Then please let the Chimpanzee take the stand and plead his case under cross examination.



    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Chimps and other animals have shown the capacity to communicate using a variety of tools. Language is not the only means of communication.
    So do insects... bees being the obvious choice, Katydids, and Crickets and frogs. What rights are they will they require and please, let's put them on the stand as well so they can plead their case.


    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    What you said earlier was:


    The thing is, humans *are* animals. Did you not know this?
    What I said was true - philosophically. What was said after was speaking about genomes. Certainly you can differentiate discussion between biology and philosophy... yes?
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #55
    Invictus


    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,108

    Re: US chimpanzee Tommy 'has no human rights' - court

    I think the court decision was the correct legal decision. Beyond legalities however, Immanuel Kant's adroitly articulated relational rationale is of value...

    "Cruelty to animals is contrary to man's duty to himself, because it deadens in him the feeling of sympathy for their sufferings, and thus a natural tendency that is very useful to morality in relation to other human beings is weakened."


    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. -- Marine Corps General James 'Chaos' Mattis

  6. #56
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: US chimpanzee Tommy 'has no human rights' - court

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Then please let the Chimpanzee take the stand and plead his case under cross examination.
    In our legal system, plaintiffs not only face no requirement to testify, they need not have the ability to testify.

    Newborn humans can't testify. Are you suggesting they have no rights?

    Besides, you weren't asking for proof that animals can testify in court. You asked for evidence of animal intelligence, and because you got an answer your didn't like, you're now going to flail around and hope no one notices how very wrong you were about animal intelligence


    So do insects... bees being the obvious choice, Katydids, and Crickets and frogs. What rights are they will they require and please, let's put them on the stand as well so they can plead their case.
    So now you're admitting that various species can communicate in ways that humans can understand. Earlier, you were denying it.




    What I said was true - philosophically. What was said after was speaking about genomes. Certainly you can differentiate discussion between biology and philosophy... yes?
    You're grasping. You clearly attempted to distinguish humans as something other than animals even though animals are what humans are.

    The issue boils down (philosophically, not legally) to, what qualities must or should an organism possess in order to justify its' having rights? Your flailings do nothing to address this and amount to nothing more than pointing out that various species are not human - a point no one has disputed. Unfortunately, your pitiful attempts have led you to make claims about animal intelligence and emotion that just aren't true.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #57
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: US chimpanzee Tommy 'has no human rights' - court

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    In our legal system, plaintiffs not only face no requirement to testify, they need not have the ability to testify.

    Newborn humans can't testify. Are you suggesting they have no rights?
    Newborns have parents who are responsible for their lives - they speak for newborns. In the case of animals = newborns that's silly. Unless you're claiming newborn animals. However, human kind does have a responsibility to manage and speak for the animals - but there are limitations to that. We do not for example see the right to healthcare for animals, nor do humans issue drivers licenses to animals primarily because animals cannot pass the written or (if they cannot write) spoken version of the test. One has to identify the limitations of animals - as they do not have the same ability nor capability as humans.

    This is why you cannot address the obviousness of language and having a goat, for example, taking the stand to communicate they can understand what their rights are and have the ability to utilize those rights. Frankly the subject is ludicrous but I'm indulging this subject out of pure curiosity.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Besides, you weren't asking for proof that animals can testify in court. You asked for evidence of animal intelligence, and because you got an answer your didn't like, you're now going to flail around and hope no one notices how very wrong you were about animal intelligence
    How can an animal identify their intelligence other than in some form of communication? The chicken who plays checkers may be a good example .... can she (or is it a rooster) communicate to human kind why it has a right to say....rent controlled housing in NYC?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    So now you're admitting that various species can communicate in ways that humans can understand. Earlier, you were denying it.
    The point isn't can they communicate, it's can they communicate they can understand and use rights that have been so far used by humans. The answer is obviously no... but please, put a toad on the stand and question him. It's great television.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    You're grasping. You clearly attempted to distinguish humans as something other than animals even though animals are what humans are.
    The point of this thread is animal rights... you're simply being silly. You're attempting to credit animals with the ability to understand and communicate they can comprehend what animal rights are, and can utilize those rights. Ask the cricket in your basement how he feels...

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The issue boils down (philosophically, not legally) to, what qualities must or should an organism possess in order to justify its' having rights?
    The cricket has no rights. Animals have what rights humans believe they should have, not rights that animals think they have.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Your flailings do nothing to address this and amount to nothing more than pointing out that various species are not human - a point no one has disputed. Unfortunately, your pitiful attempts have led you to make claims about animal intelligence and emotion that just aren't true.
    Ask your cricket how he feels about being stepped on and tell me what he says. What's pitiful is insane attempts to apply human rights to animals which clearly cannot either communicate, understand, nor exercise those rights. I'm sure it gives people like me something to laugh at, and lawyers something to do; as well it gives silly people something to squawk about.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #58
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: US chimpanzee Tommy 'has no human rights' - court

    Quote Originally Posted by Simpleχity View Post
    I think the court decision was the correct legal decision. Beyond legalities however, Immanuel Kant's adroitly articulated relational rationale is of value...

    "Cruelty to animals is contrary to man's duty to himself, because it deadens in him the feeling of sympathy for their sufferings, and thus a natural tendency that is very useful to morality in relation to other human beings is weakened."
    That has been my take on it, precisely. It is not a duty we owe the animals to eschew animal cruelty but one we owe ourselves. It debases a human being to take joy in cruelty or to harm anything merely for puerile purposes.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  9. #59
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,158

    Re: US chimpanzee Tommy 'has no human rights' - court

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    It's a matter of definitions, isn't it?

    Human rights. Are chimpanzees and other great apes humans? That'd be no.

    If you want to bestow on them rights, which is fine, but then those rights would be chimpanzees and great apes rights, and wouldn't necessarily be exactly the same as Human rights, as there is a difference between chimpanzees and great apes and humans.


    .....

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #60
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: US chimpanzee Tommy 'has no human rights' - court

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Newborns have parents who are responsible for their lives - they speak for newborns. In the case of animals = newborns that's silly. Unless you're claiming newborn animals. However, human kind does have a responsibility to manage and speak for the animals - but there are limitations to that. We do not for example see the right to healthcare for animals, nor do humans issue drivers licenses to animals primarily because animals cannot pass the written or (if they cannot write) spoken version of the test. One has to identify the limitations of animals - as they do not have the same ability nor capability as humans.
    I never said that "animals = newborns", so that is a strawman. The point is, you asked for evidence concerning animal intelligence and when I posted some, you went on a tangent about animals testifying in court - an idea that has nothing to do with the specific point we were discussing or with the issue of this thread.

    This is why you cannot address the obviousness of language and having a goat, for example, taking the stand to communicate they can understand what their rights are and have the ability to utilize those rights. Frankly the subject is ludicrous but I'm indulging this subject out of pure curiosity.
    Language is not what you asked about nor was it a part of your original claim, which was a denial of Napolean's statement that "The great apes are capable of reasoned thought, complex perception, and complex emotions. I think they do have natural rights."

    Note how it says nothing about language.

    How can an animal identify their intelligence other than in some form of communication? The chicken who plays checkers may be a good example .... can she (or is it a rooster) communicate to human kind why it has a right to say....rent controlled housing in NYC?
    If you are unaware of the methods scientists use to gauge animal intelligence, I suggest that you make Google your friend. In the meantime, your ignorance of the scientific methods does not mean they don't exist.

    The point isn't can they communicate, it's can they communicate they can understand and use rights that have been so far used by humans. The answer is obviously no... but please, put a toad on the stand and question him. It's great television.

    The point of this thread is animal rights... you're simply being silly. You're attempting to credit animals with the ability to understand and communicate they can comprehend what animal rights are, and can utilize those rights.
    You see, now *there's* an argument that is on point. Note how it's different than your absurd "Put a cricket on the witness stand"

    As I've said several times in this thread, the crux of the issue is what qualities imbues humans with rights and whether or not animals have those same qualities. If you want to argue that animals don't have rights because they can't understand the concept of rights, that is on point. Arguing that other animals are incapable of "reasoned thought, complex perception, and complex emotions" is not only not on point, it's flat out untrue
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •