Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: U.S. Army wants a new gun

  1. #11
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,090

    Re: U.S. Army wants a new gun

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The Army is currently conducting trials to replace the M249 with a new plastic machinegun that....get this...fires plastic ammunition: New plastic telescope ammo machine gun is light as a rifle

    Improving the weight, performance and lifespan of the SAW is a problem every branch has been working on for years. Composites and 3D printing seem to be the general direction the military is moving towards.
    To be honest that seems really cool. It would definitely reduce costs in the long term, now if only the US would bar companies who did the the D&R from selling it to the highest bidder.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #12
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,420

    Re: U.S. Army wants a new gun

    Quote Originally Posted by CMPancake View Post
    When I was a kid, I had a friend whose dad had a hunting handgun that shot a .270 round. The recoil on it was insane.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  3. #13
    Jokes Are a Cry For Help.
    CMPancake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: U.S. Army wants a new gun

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    When I was a kid, I had a friend whose dad had a hunting handgun that shot a .270 round. The recoil on it was insane.
    Somehow I feel like a .270 wouldn't leave much of anything if you shot it at an animal.

  4. #14
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,420

    Re: U.S. Army wants a new gun

    Quote Originally Posted by CMPancake View Post
    Somehow I feel like a .270 wouldn't leave much of anything if you shot it at an animal.
    Depends on the animal. I would imagine that .270s are the most popular deer rifles by quite a margin. In my Remington 700 bolt action .270 it doesn't kick too bad at all (in a handgun its a different story). I know people hunt elk and moose with 270s, but I think you are better off with something bigger with game that big. My dad hunts with a Remington 700 7mm Mag, and with a 180 grain bullets it will kick the **** out of you.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  5. #15
    Jokes Are a Cry For Help.
    CMPancake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: U.S. Army wants a new gun

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Depends on the animal. I would imagine that .270s are the most popular deer rifles by quite a margin. In my Remington 700 bolt action .270 it doesn't kick too bad at all (in a handgun its a different story). I know people hunt elk and moose with 270s, but I think you are better off with something bigger with game that big. My dad hunts with a Remington 700 7mm Mag, and with a 180 grain bullets it will kick the **** out of you.
    See I wouldn't know the slightest about hunting. The furthest I take my gun is out to the local range or the range near my Brother's when he wants to hang out. The largest round I take out to the range would be .357 or .45. (Both don't have quite the kick I've felt when I fired my Grandfather's S&W 500 magnum. My hand was sore when I woke up the next day.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •