Page 80 of 276 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130180 ... LastLast
Results 791 to 800 of 2756

Thread: No Indictment in Chokehold Death [W:1903,2680]

  1. #791
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,662

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yes we know Vancemack, play the game of real vs. fake. It allows you to avoid discussing what everyone saw happened in this video. However, for all your distractions, they don't detract from the fact that this guy was being arrested for allegedly selling a few cigarettes. Spare me your support for other cases you feel people were really abused. I don't honestly give much of a **** about your ever changing standards for when black men should be and shouldn't be attacked. I'm surprised you haven't brought up a Malcolm X quote about Democrats or complained about how people aren't discussing black on black violence. It must be because this guy was seen by cops breaking up a fight or you would have jumped on that strategy. Now all you have is the fake vs. real game and I'm really not interested in discussing whether someone should be violently brought down for the terrible crime of being angry that police harass him.
    We all saw what happened in this video. Cops approached the man to arrest him for selling untaxed cigarettes. Thats it. Garner decided he was not going to be arrested for selling untaxed cigarettes. He resisted. Cops took him to the ground and cuffed him. Dood was morbidly obese and died...not because he was beaten to death or choked to death but because he made a bad choice.

    As for all your other silliness...


  2. #792
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,057

    Re: NYPD officer in Eric Garner chokehold death not indicted by Staten Island grand j

    Quote Originally Posted by cAPSLOCK View Post
    Lol.. So far your arguments are:

    1. Another bad guy bites the dust. Yay.
    2. He was fat.
    3. You are all guilty because you hate cops.

    You're really not doing too well at this debating thing.
    That's not really what I'm saying at all. I'm trying to point out that there are REASONS for these decisions that have absolutely nothing to do with race, which is all the media, once again, is making this about. This cop wasn't trying to kill a black guy. If the cop was black and the other guy was white, this would have been the same decision. Racism isn't a constant variable; in fact, it's rarely a variable at all, truth be known.

    Trayvon Martin was made all about race, which it wasn't. Same for Ferguson, and now same for this if you watched the news last night. It's politically charged BS designed to get people riled up, truth be damned.

    I, too, have no idea how this NYC cop didn't get indicted, other than it had nothing to do with race. There is information we must not know, and until I see that evidence, I'll remain confused about it. However, I'm not stepping in the Al Sharpton bear trap on race. I want answers, too, because this simply makes no sense, but I'm willing to wait and find out the reasoning before I march down the street with a big race-baiting placard, trying to change the narrative.

    And to your point, there are multiple posts in this thread that are just police-hating gibberish, which is what I referenced.

  3. #793
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: NYPD officer in Eric Garner chokehold death not indicted by Staten Island grand j

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The "choke hold" had nothing to do with his death. He should have been honest with himself about his health, before he picked a fight with the cops.
    Absolutely it did as the coronors report showed cause of death homicide. He didn't pick a fight with anyone.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #794
    Guru
    ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,857

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you think most citizens in our civilization think prohibiting people from selling loose cigarettes on the streets is so oppressive as to warrant a revolution, you're just delusional and part of the fringe problems today's society faces and not part of the solution.
    Hmmmm...two points:

    1) I didn't say most people do. I don't have a sense of how many people might or might not agree. I'm also not sure why that, precisely, matters.

    2) You seem to be missing the point, sort of in the same way that someone would who describes the assassination of John Kennedy as a brilliant example of Newtonian Mechanics in action is missing the point. It's not selling cigarettes, just as such, that is at issue. It's being able to acquire enough resources to meet basic needs, plus enough to put one in range of the wealth of everyone else. A society which fails to do those things for enough people will ultimately fail, and so far, that failure has been accompanied in every case by a violent changing of the guard at the top and generally a lot of bloodshed. That's a lesson of history that should have been well-learned by now.

  5. #795
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: NYPD officer in Eric Garner chokehold death not indicted by Staten Island grand j

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Was your gut on the grand jury?
    If it were, it would have been one vote for indictment.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #796
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: NYPD officer in Eric Garner chokehold death not indicted by Staten Island grand j

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    I saw him resisting. I am surprised you didn't see it. It was before the first police officer grabbed him.
    Then your definition of resisting is false.

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    The grand jury says no crime.
    And in this case, they were wrong.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #797
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,024

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    We all saw what happened in this video. Cops approached the man to arrest him for selling untaxed cigarettes. Thats it. Garner decided he was not going to be arrested for selling untaxed cigarettes. He resisted. Cops took him to the ground and cuffed him. Dood was morbidly obese and died...not because he was beaten to death or choked to death but because he made a bad choice.

    As for all your other silliness...

    Do you realize his death was ruled a homicide? I'll give you a clue. Homicide doesn't mean he died because of an asthma attack. Please keep making stuff up. It's fun to see you play the real vs. fake game.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #798
    Jokes Are a Cry For Help.
    CMPancake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,961
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NYPD officer in Eric Garner chokehold death not indicted by Staten Island grand j

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Not a choke hold.
    The Police Commish in NYC begs to differ.

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    One frame of vid is not proof of a choke hold. But hey, you try the job on for size and see how your attitude changes about the poor misunderstood people.
    I intend on it actually.

    I get the bias the majority of people have cops. I get it, I live in a family full of cops, my father himself was wrongly accused of misusing his power and spent years fighting the case (a case he thankfully won.) And I know once in the force I'll be faced with that same bias, but I won't stand here and act like the Police officers in question stood here and were merely doing their jobs. They were the ones who made the situation violent, and as a result someone died. If we don't hold the Police accountable for their actions, then who will?

  9. #799
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,459

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    did you catch my edit?
    This one?



    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    convicted of the subdivicion meaning he imported lots and lots of packs? no?

    Note, however, there is no talk of selling loosies. Technically not a crime in ny.




    No. Paragraph (b) doesn't put a lower limit on the number in possession. Here's the paragraph

    b) Any person, other than an agent licensed by the commissioner, who
    possesses or transports for the purpose of sale any unstamped or
    unlawfully stamped packages of cigarettes subject to tax imposed by
    section four hundred seventy-one of this chapter, or who sells or offers
    for sale unstamped or unlawfully stamped packages of cigarettes in
    violation of the provisions of article twenty of this chapter
    shall be
    guilty of a misdemeanor. Any person who violates the provisions of this
    subdivision after having previously been convicted of a violation of
    this subdivision within the preceding five years shall be guilty of a
    class E felony.
    Bolded part clearly says "any unstamped or unlawfully stamped" so even selling or intending to sell a single one violates (b).

    The other paragraphs talk about numbers of cigarettes and pounds of tobacco but I didn't read them too closely since they didn't seem to apply in this case.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  10. #800
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: NYPD officer in Eric Garner chokehold death not indicted by Staten Island grand j

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Really?
    Really.

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    You want a jury even when a group of citizens determines there is insufficient evidence?
    I question the validity of the GJ in this case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Why would you want that?
    Because it was obvious to anyone there was enough to indict.


    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    The grand jury is there to prevent government tyranny. Why would you throw that safeguard away?
    I would question this GJ and the process and investigate it. I'm not one to blame cops in fact the direct opposite. I'm also one for considering as much evidence as possible before coming to a judgement, so I'm probably one of the LAST people to speak out and claim something stinks .... in this case it's overwhelmingly wrong what happened. It's like a group of people all claiming gravity doesn't exist and the sky isn't blue when we obviously know different and it's obvious.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •