Page 76 of 276 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 760 of 2756

Thread: No Indictment in Chokehold Death [W:1903,2680]

  1. #751
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,538

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    WRONG !!

    Racism is a narrative almost exclusively relied upon by left wingers.

    A desperate attempt to shore up empty arguments by injecting irrelevant manufactured narratives is something Righties have to do.
    It comes down to perception, people tend to side who they identify with. In a case like this, right wingers side with the cops because the police are going after black criminal because he's "breaking the law" If law enforcement is going after a white cowboy hat wearing rancher for breaking the law, they side with the rancher because law enforcement is "unjustly harassing" him.

  2. #752
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,717

    Re: NYPD officer in Eric Garner chokehold death not indicted by Staten Island grand j

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    You a NY cop? No, you are not. They had the right based on his rep and previous multiple arrests. You are trying to convince me the cops were in the wrong.
    Forget it, you cant. Not in this instance.

    I know many NYC cops, lost half my Chelsea piers hockey team in 911. I'm anything but anti cop. but wrong is wrong, and this here was very wrong.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #753
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,903

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    No, you did, when you said he should only be given a ticket for the reason that it's only a misdemeanor. Don't tell me, you're going to go into complete Kobie denial that you ever posted any such thing despite the fact that it's right ****ing there.
    See edit.

    Why is it that any time I go into "Kobie denial that I ever posted any such thing," as you say, you never find the thing you claimed I posted?
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  4. #754
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    I do not usually ask for evidence but can you provide some links to show the coroner said he died because he suffocated?
    No, I heard someone on TV read that information.

  5. #755
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,698

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I think you are right but it will be a long day in hell before police unions don't fight any change. It's absolutely astounding how many videos there are on the internet of people being harassed, assaulted, and denied their basic civil rights for everything from... being drunk during Mardi Gras to.... filming police being in the wrong. A few weeks ago I watched a video of a guy at a baseball game being harassed and arrested by the police for being ... drunk and loud... at a baseball game. It's getting to the point where if you are doing something, no matter the setting and environment and a cop doesn't like it, the only way to resist is to spend money on lawyers, take them to court, and hope the justice system - which has a lousy record of convicting ****ty cops - sees things your way.
    There are indeed abuse instances that are recorded and demand action. Concurrent with this thread there is a thread on a police action in Colorado which I believe is CLEARLY abusive. In that video the officer is seen striking the man suspected of selling heroin 6 times in the face and slamming his head into the ground. His 'reason' is he was trying to prevent him from swallowing a sock full of heroin. The violence in that case was clearly not warranted. Point being...just because some cases are abusive doesnt make all cases abusive.

    In the Garner case, the officers had made the decision to arrest him. Stop. No need to proceed with the argument. Once a law enforcement officer has made the decision to arrest you, you are going to be arrested. That doesnt mean you are guilty, doesnt mean you will be convicted, but it DOES mean you are under arrest. The SECOND you decide Oh hell no...I'm not either and move to prevent the arrest you are resisting arrest. Its truly that simply. Garner was not beaten down by a pack of cops with dogs and rubber hoses. He was brought to the ground because he resisted arrest. He didnt die because they beat him to death, he died because he was morbidly obese and had a number of associated health problems. He wasnt choked to death. He wasnt beaten to death. He didnt DESERVE death. He died because he resisted arrest and was physically ill.

    Not every instance is 'abuse'. Not every instance is NOT abuse.

  6. #756
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: NYPD officer in Eric Garner chokehold death not indicted by Staten Island grand j

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    I know many NYC cops, lost half my Chelsea piers hockey team in 911. I'm anything but anti cop. but wrong is wrong, and this here was very wrong.
    If you are ever involved in an altercation, even as a "peacemaker". And the cops roll up, the first guy that is a problem. Gets hooked up. Period, and if you resist. You get full attention.
    Be cool, and you will probably get cut loose right then and there.

  7. #757
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,488

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    The death penalty doesn't apply to that.

    And you, or any cop arresting someone for what should be a ticket should not be the executioner.
    He wasn't killed intentionally. i.e. he wasn't executed
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #758
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: NYPD officer in Eric Garner chokehold death not indicted by Staten Island grand j

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    You a NY cop? No, you are not. They had the right based on his rep and previous multiple arrests. You are trying to convince me the cops were in the wrong.
    Forget it, you cant. Not in this instance.
    Were his previous arrests confrontational, or compliant?

    If you're going to claim his reputation was relevant, then that aspect is equally relevant.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #759
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    and just as i fill up in the next state (12 miles away) to save 30c a gallon, those in new york seek out 'discounted' cigarettes, buying them where they were not taxed so significantly (but where gas taxes are among the highest)
    We would normally refer to that as a gray market but the effect is the same as a black market.

  10. #760
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,953

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    You should remove that "libertarian" from your political lean.


    What law did he specifically break in this incident? What was he charged with? What was he doing?

    Please link to his "30 convictions".

    Police claim he was selling LOOSE cigarettes. He had a single pack of untaxed cigarettes on him (remember 59% of all cigarettes in the city are bootleg).




    Remember he was supposedly selling loose cigarettes. here is the law:



    Criminal Sale of Untaxed Cigarettes (NY State Tax Law § 1814) | New York Criminal Defense Blawg

    "(b) Any person, other than an agent licensed by the commissioner, who
    possesses or transports for the purpose of sale any unstamped or
    unlawfully stamped packages of cigarettes subject to tax imposed by
    section four hundred seventy-one of this chapter, or who sells or offers
    for sale unstamped or unlawfully stamped packages of cigarettes in
    violation of the provisions of article twenty of this chapter shall be
    guilty of a misdemeanor. Any person who violates the provisions of this
    subdivision after having previously been convicted of a violation of
    this subdivision within the preceding five years shall be guilty of a
    class E felony."





    Read it, in order for it to be considered a misdemeanor, it would have to be the second time and he would have to be selling packs. so, this guy was attacked, wrassled to the ground and killed because of single cigarettes and a single pack of untaxed cigarettes that is hardly even a misdemeanor.



    It's no worse, ****, its less than a reckless driving ticket. if you accidentally get stopped for doing 30 over the limit, should you be dragged out of your car and killed?


    I don't think so.

    misdemeanor or felony....what he was doing was against the law

    he also had the opportunity to COMPLY with officer's commands

    he refused

    so again....do you want to live in a society of laws, or one of lawlessness?

    it is a simple question

    what happened was tragic.....using a taser could have killed him also......do you think that video would have gone any less viral?

    when officers of the law tell you to do something, i was taught to comply

    i can argue my case in a court of law another day....with an attorney at my side

    i know better than to resist arrest, and that is what happened here

    and if you dont like the laws, have them changed

    but taxes are how states and cities provide.......and cigarette taxes are a BIG part of that in NYC
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •