Page 75 of 276 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 750 of 2756

Thread: No Indictment in Chokehold Death [W:1903,2680]

  1. #741
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Officer choke hold would have killed you, illegal street racing is a felony in some states, in FL it's more serious than selling loosies. but as the son of a cop, you would have gotten off, you would just have had to make sure you told the LEO of the family relationship.
    No you see, my father was a DC cop. Retired. We lived in a Podunk beach town. Yep, street racing is illegal. Not a felony back then.
    Dad would have never stepped in if I was caught street racing. He would have turned me in. But pulling over every day otherwise is harassment. But I was smart enough not to let it get physical with officers.
    NY dude was clearly not that smart.

  2. #742
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Personally, I'm troubled by this one far more so than the Ferguson decision. In the Ferguson incident, Michael Brown absolutely contributed to and caused his own demise. In this case, in NYC, we're talking about what is virtually a by-law infraction - selling cigarettes loosely, without tax, and local variety stores and businesses pressure police to stop it. But nobody, in my view, should die because they broke a by-law. Now, this man clearly was resisting arrest - he was surrounded by police and he kept pulling his hands back when the police tried to handcuff him. As with Michael Brown, this man is another "gentle giant". What is it about big black men that they resist arrest to the death?

    This is a case, I believe, that should have gone to trial so that the entire NYC community could see and review the evidence and a jury could pass judgement on whether or not manslaughter was an appropriate charge. The community, in this case, should determine whether or not a banned choke hold being used in order to secure an arrest is reasonable force. For me, I don't see why the police didn't simply issue the man a summons to appear in court on the by-law charge.

    This one bothers me a lot.

    Edit: It seems that the man in this case had 31 prior arrests for similar minor offenses and apparently "knew the drill" - what possessed him to resist this one to the death is puzzling.
    You say it better than I probably would have.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #743
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: NYPD officer in Eric Garner chokehold death not indicted by Staten Island grand j

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    wait, if the probable cause was due to his involvement in breaking up a fight, then why in the video is it about selling cigarettes?


    That is not probable cause.
    Claim of breaking up a fight. His previous reputation had everything to do with how officers approached him. That is on him.

  4. #744
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: NYPD officer in Eric Garner chokehold death not indicted by Staten Island grand j

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    From what I understood from the case, the cop who put him in a chokehold watched him break up the fight. At least, that's from the witness testimony:

    Staten Island grand jury decides not to indict police officer in Eric Garner's death, sources say | SILive.com


    Really? I didn't know that. That can be argued for detainment or not, if it could be proven that officer choke hold clearly saw him break up the fight then there was no justification for a terry frisk.

    if it's argued he didn't see that part, then they had a right to terry frisk for thier safety.


    But this is all moot. You can clearly see in the video, this detainment was all about the loosies.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  5. #745
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Are you honestly equating selling loose cigarettes with assault, theft or DWI?
    No, you did, when you said he should only be given a ticket for the reason that it's only a misdemeanor. Don't tell me, you're going to go into complete Kobie denial that you ever posted any such thing despite the fact that it's right ****ing there.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  6. #746
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,324

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    loosies are technically not a crime. there was no present evidence he was even selling loosies, he, the citizen had broken up an actual crime, a fight, but they chose him over the combatants.

    I'd argue they weren't "doing thier jobs".




    What was his other choice? file a lawsuit, a complaint? 1. cant afford. 2. you saw how they treat him, what would complaining do?





    loosies techically isn't a crime, selling bootleg packs of cigarettes after the 2nd time is a finable offense, a misdemeanor, not something to be arrested and hauled of to jail for.

    he at worst was selliong loosies but there is no evidence of that on this occasion.


    His breaking up a fight is irrelevant.

    Him telling the Officer " You're always trying to arrest me, today it stops " is NOT irrelevant.

    It was a terrible decision that put the LEOs on the defensive and let them know that they have a non-compliant and most likely a combative suspect on their hands.

    Like I said, there are far more productive ways to address real harassment and resisting isn't one of them.

    His selling " loosies " wasn't what cost him his life.

  7. #747
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: NYPD officer in Eric Garner chokehold death not indicted by Staten Island grand j

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Claim of breaking up a fight. His previous reputation had everything to do with how officers approached him. That is on him.

    They approached him looking to bust him for loosies. they had no right to detain him as they could not articulate reasonable suspicion he was acting currently outside the law.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  8. #748
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: NYPD officer in Eric Garner chokehold death not indicted by Staten Island grand j

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    They approached him looking to bust him for loosies. they had no right to detain him as they could not articulate reasonable suspicion he was acting currently outside the law.
    You a NY cop? No, you are not. They had the right based on his rep and previous multiple arrests. You are trying to convince me the cops were in the wrong.
    Forget it, you cant. Not in this instance.

  9. #749
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    His breaking up a fight is irrelevant.

    Him telling the Officer " You're always trying to arrest me, today it stops " is NOT irrelevant.


    Why? Is it illegal to show displeasure to police harassment?


    It was a terrible decision that put the LEOs on the defensive and let them know that they have a non-compliant and most likely a combative suspect on their hands.

    Like I said, there are far more productive ways to address real harassment and resisting isn't one of them.

    I love this, the police were the aggressors and when thier victim balks at thier aggression the police have to defend themselves.... /facepalm.



    His selling " loosies " wasn't what cost him his life.

    You are right, it was over pumped "warrior" cops going overboard on someone standing up for his rights as a citizen of this country and daring to say enough is enough.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #750
    Jokes Are a Cry For Help.
    CMPancake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,977
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    <---- Brown belt in a gracie affiliated school.
    Then I will concede you have more personal experience in the field than I do. I'm a few months away from earning my white belt.


    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Note elbow position. if the crook of that elbow is sticking out like that the trachea is not being compressed. officer choke hold doesn't have position, and isn't actually choking ****.
    The trachea can still be compressed by a forearm if given enough force. Not as effectively if the elbow is properly placed but still possible none the less. With the position the officer is in and with his right hand locked in he has more than enough pressure to compress the trachea.

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    not because he didn't want to, but because he sucks.
    If the intent was to disable Garner there were other options than going for his neck. It was sloppy but it is apparent to me that Garner was being choked by the officer.


    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    note, last picture, dude aint beint choked yet either.
    Upon further review, I think you might be right. However it also looks like the grey shirt is pulling out of the hold? I could be wrong and it is a bad picture to use as an example.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •