Page 271 of 276 FirstFirst ... 171221261269270271272273 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,710 of 2756

Thread: No Indictment in Chokehold Death [W:1903,2680]

  1. #2701
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Your cop hate runethover. I know more people that are not cops that are vicious bar fighters.
    Oh no I think cops are great. I'd triple the number of them and double their pay.

  2. #2702
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Murder (United States law) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Either way, I think you're splitting hairs. I'm sure the OP would be fine with involuntary manslaughter.
    It isn't splitting hairs. It's a fact. Murder charges involve intent. Involuntary manslaughter. gross negligence, none of them involve intent. That poster said "Murder" and he was factually incorrect.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #2703
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    I don't think it's that big of a deal either. All cops are or have ever been are basically the guys that beat people at bars on their off hours. Everyone knows that cops are full of testosterone and probably would be out fighting if it wasn't for them being a cop instead. So no. It's not surprising that the cops are all tattooed up. Many cops are. That's fundamentally why these killings will never stop. The people who become cops are a pretty unstable crowd to begin with and aren't generally your 9-5 guy.
    Unreal.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  4. #2704
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Unreal.
    What's unreal about it?


    Are you claiming that most cops are equivalent to lawyers, coders or bankers in their temper, demeanor and activities? Are you really? Let's be real. They aren't. They're societies brute squad that is paid just enough to enforce the law and just enough to not kill too many people doing it. Then again I'm not assuming you can handle that reality.
    Last edited by Ryan5; 12-11-14 at 09:24 PM.

  5. #2705
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,955

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    I don't think it's that big of a deal either. All cops are or have ever been are basically the guys that beat people at bars on their off hours. Everyone knows that cops are full of testosterone and probably would be out fighting if it wasn't for them being a cop instead. So no. It's not surprising that the cops are all tattooed up. Many cops are. That's fundamentally why these killings will never stop. The people who become cops are a pretty unstable crowd to begin with and aren't generally your 9-5 guy.

    not biased in any way are you there?

    one of my buddies is a sergeant in the capitol police......

    5'10" white.....185 lbs......clean cut.......short hair.......no tattoos

    without his uniform you wouldnt know what he did.....maybe a cpa, teacher, etc

    in some jurisdictions, cops have to maintain a very professional look

    depends on what your sheriff, chief, mayor, and council decide.......they always decide those things
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  6. #2706
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    not biased in any way are you there?

    one of my buddies is a sergeant in the capitol police......

    5'10" white.....185 lbs......clean cut.......short hair.......no tattoos

    without his uniform you wouldnt know what he did.....maybe a cpa, teacher, etc

    in some jurisdictions, cops have to maintain a very professional look

    depends on what your sheriff, chief, mayor, and council decide.......they always decide those things
    In a majority (not all for sure) the videos of the extremely violently sadistic police are obese white shaved head skinheads.

  7. #2707
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,494

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Somewhere back in the dim distant pages of this thread, and in others on the same topic, there was a good amount of discussion on the meaning of "homicide" and discussion about how could a death be ruled a homicide but no indictment be forthcoming. Several people, myself among them, pointed out that homicide just means to intentionally take a life with no implication as to whether there was any wrong doing.

    While that's true for the dictionary definition it is not true under NY Law. NY Penal Law 125:

    S 125.00 Homicide defined.
    Homicide means conduct which causes the death of a person or an unborn
    child with which a female has been pregnant for more than twenty-four
    weeks under circumstances constituting murder, manslaughter in the first
    degree, manslaughter in the second degree, criminally negligent
    homicide, abortion in the first degree or self-abortion in the first degree

    That means 2 things.

    1. The ME made a determination that a crime was committed and that Garner's death was not a blameless accident.
    2. Given that criminally negligent homicide falls under the homicide defintion in NY the DA should have presented it.

    The only way Panteleo can walk without an indictment is because there's confusion as to who caused the death, not really likely given the video, or because the DA failed to charge criminally negligent homicide. There is no excuse for that, especially given the statutory definition of homicide.

    In short the DA threw the case. I sorely hope the Staten Island voters make him unemployed next chance they get.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  8. #2708
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    not biased in any way are you there?

    one of my buddies is a sergeant in the capitol police......

    5'10" white.....185 lbs......clean cut.......short hair.......no tattoos

    without his uniform you wouldnt know what he did.....maybe a cpa, teacher, etc

    in some jurisdictions, cops have to maintain a very professional look

    depends on what your sheriff, chief, mayor, and council decide.......they always decide those things
    My brother in law just retired from the NYPD after 27 years. He's now teaching science at a private high school. He looks exactly the same today as he did when he retired last year. Same height and weight as your buddy, short hair, clean shaven, no tattoos, no piercings, nothing. He looks like he's been a science teacher for his entire life.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  9. #2709
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    Somewhere back in the dim distant pages of this thread, and in others on the same topic, there was a good amount of discussion on the meaning of "homicide" and discussion about how could a death be ruled a homicide but no indictment be forthcoming. Several people, myself among them, pointed out that homicide just means to intentionally take a life with no implication as to whether there was any wrong doing.

    While that's true for the dictionary definition it is not true under NY Law. NY Penal Law 125:




    That means 2 things.

    1. The ME made a determination that a crime was committed and that Garner's death was not a blameless accident.
    2. Given that criminally negligent homicide falls under the homicide defintion in NY the DA should have presented it.

    The only way Panteleo can walk without an indictment is because there's confusion as to who caused the death, not really likely given the video, or because the DA failed to charge criminally negligent homicide. There is no excuse for that, especially given the statutory definition of homicide.

    In short the DA threw the case. I sorely hope the Staten Island voters make him unemployed next chance they get.
    You are lost. You are totally wrong on your descriptions. The ME cannot determine criminality. There are 5 categories of death in New York. That has nothing to do with level of criminality.

  10. #2710
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,494

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    You are lost. You are totally wrong on your descriptions. The ME cannot determine criminality. There are 5 categories of death in New York. That has nothing to do with level of criminality.

    That is the legal definition of homicide in the State of New York. Are you arguing that it isn't or that somehow it can be interpreted otherwise?

    Like it or not under the laws of New York State the ME gets to make a determination as to whether a crime was committed or not.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •