Page 231 of 276 FirstFirst ... 131181221229230231232233241 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,310 of 2756

Thread: No Indictment in Chokehold Death [W:1903,2680]

  1. #2301
    Professor
    JoeTrumps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Memphis
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 09:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,570

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    ferguson and this story: two episodes of large men disobeying police orders(after breaking the law) and ending up dead. I'm sorry, but the average american isn't going to get upset at that no matter WHAT COLOR THEY ARE because the average american DOESN'T disobey police orders OR break the law. That is the honest truth. So you can waste your breathe trying to rationalize that away until the cows come home, it still won't be a major issue in this country except to a small minority.

    Tomorrow, if a black man who works at an accountant's office with no criminal record is pulled over for speeding and ends up dead on the street, THEN COME AND TALK TO ME. I will share your outrage. till then you are just trying to build something that won't stand up no matter how hard you try.

  2. #2302
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Ah, so he said that?



    Do you believe the Pantalano's history of harassing suspects led to him not wanting to let Garner go?
    I certainly believe his history comes into play when looking at the facts. Absolutely! Pantalano was not the officer confronting Garner. Pantalano IS the guy that took him to the ground, released the choke hold and held him down while he was being cuffed. I didnt see him strip searching the suspect, nor did I see him keeping the hold in place after the suspect was on the ground.

    Here is the ABSOLUTE fact and reality. Had you or I been that suspect we would not even know about this. It wouldnt be an issue. I wouldnt not have (and I highly doubt you would have either) had a cardiac arrest because I dont think you are morbidly obese. The 'choke hold' was not abusive, excessive, wasnt applied longer than needed, and did not cause his death. period.

  3. #2303
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,977

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    The source for that, such as it is, is a conservative anti-tax organization, which in turn cites a study put out by a think tank partly funded by the tobacco industry. Apparently there's a lot of estimation, and very little actual research.



    Yet again: Blaming this outcome on cigarette taxes is absurd.

    The NYPD use significant levels of force to arrest people for all sorts of minor infractions. As I've posted multiple times already in this thread, here's a video of an NYPD officer striking 20 year old Donovan Lawson with a baton, with 2 other officers joining to detain him. Donovan's criminal act? Jumping a subway turnstile, instead of paying the $2.50 fare. Even if you think the level of force was appropriate, this clearly demonstrates that there is no real connection between the actual nature of the infraction, and the level of force used by the NYPD during the arrest.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVoOQbDT1QE



    Are choke holds allowed? Because they're banned by the NYPD.



    It's disgusting that conservatives are trying to blame this on, of all things, cigarette taxes.

    It's repulsive that some people are apparently just fine with minimal review of police officers who cause the deaths of suspects in their custody.

    It's astounding that some people will go to any lengths to avoid any discussion of race in the issues of police and community relations.

    It's unfortunate that some people use this incident to indulge in their routine bashing of specific political figures. Many of whom just happen to be black. Hmmmm.
    They should give up cigarettes. It's a nasty habit.

  4. #2304
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,889

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Ah, so he said that?



    Do you believe the Pantalano's history of harassing suspects led to him not wanting to let Garner go?
    Do you believe people who vote for a 190% increase in cigarette taxes fair because they don't approve of smoking? And when they do creates a smuggling problem? That these voters allowed those they voted into office to increase the harshness of the laws on selling untaxed cigarettes to no longer be treated like a parking ticket but were willing to use their police department to shake these people down and arrest them like any other criminal to be justified?

    Do you believe liberals should maybe take a look in the mirror and understand the consequences for turning their cops into tax collectors? That maybe they should revisit the excessive taxes they were so willing to put on cigarettes created the problem with smuggling in the first place? That maybe their war on smoking has had some real bad consequences?

  5. #2305
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Do you believe people who vote for a 190% increase in cigarette taxes fair because they don't approve of smoking? And when they do creates a smuggling problem? That these voters allowed those they voted into office to increase the harshness of the laws on selling untaxed cigarettes to no longer be treated like a parking ticket but were willing to use their police department to shake these people down and arrest them like any other criminal to be justified?

    Do you believe liberals should maybe take a look in the mirror and understand the consequences for turning their cops into tax collectors? That maybe they should revisit the excessive taxes they were so willing to put on cigarettes created the problem with smuggling in the first place? That maybe their war on smoking has had some real bad consequences?
    Would you rather have the tax collector be the one collecting the taxes.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  6. #2306
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTrumps View Post
    ferguson and this story: two episodes of large men disobeying police orders(after breaking the law) and ending up dead. I'm sorry, but the average american isn't going to get upset at that no matter WHAT COLOR THEY ARE because the average american DOESN'T disobey police orders OR break the law. That is the honest truth. So you can waste your breathe trying to rationalize that away until the cows come home, it still won't be a major issue in this country except to a small minority.

    Tomorrow, if a black man who works at an accountant's office with no criminal record is pulled over for speeding and ends up dead on the street, THEN COME AND TALK TO ME. I will share your outrage. till then you are just trying to build something that won't stand up no matter how hard you try.
    This is what I have been saying. There ARE legitimate instances of police brutality and it DOES deserve a platform. But too many people keep trying to enter broken down nags into the Kentucky derby. After a while...it just gets tired.

  7. #2307
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,889

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Would you rather have the tax collector be the one collecting the taxes.
    The problem in NYC isn't going to go away because the people have created it. After all, they love someone else paying for things so they don't have to. Sin taxes have always been popular in achieving just that. It's that mentality that "I don't smoke and I don't chew and I don't go with those who do". If it is a means to collect revenue that won't effect them personally and keep their taxes lower so they don't have to produce the needed revenue, then they are gun ho! Unfortunately, stats show those who smoke are often middle to low income. And when you hike taxes that high on a product that is legal but has the highest addiction level, folks in those income levels could no longer afford to purchase them and that is what opened the door for a lucrative business in smuggling. Now with the new laws that became effective this year in NYC, those who smuggle/sell untaxed cigarettes are treated like the suspect that robbed a bank. That is soooooo unfair to the police officer whose duty is to enforce the laws.

  8. #2308
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    They should give up cigarettes. It's a nasty habit.
    It's the tax system that's corrupt and Eric Garner is just another victim of government overkill. (pun intended) When you have the IRS attacking with SWAT Teams and their officials taking the fifth, and confiscatory taxes created because a bureaucrat feels strongly on an issue (the soda tax would fall into the same category) then it may be time to reflect on some of the social harm many of these strong-arm tactics and consequent social problems create.

    There are governmental problems everywhere, including the entire infrastructure, and yet these incompetents are assuming ever more power over the American people. While the Leftists clearly supported the Nevada rancher against the IRS I'm surprised that so many Conservatives support what an obviously overzealous police force did to Eric Garner.

    Rather than focusing on small timers like Eric Garner, who was only responding to a need in the marketplace and selling a legal product, there are far bigger issues that should be attracting more attention from those Americans who look for a more conservative and traditional attitude to what's happening in the country.

    American Inertia :: SteynOnline

  9. #2309
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,174

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    New headline on Eric Garner that's sure to make conservatives feel differently: Union Member Kills Free Market Activist.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  10. #2310
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,696

    Re: No Indictment in Chokehold Death

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    New headline on Eric Garner that's sure to make conservatives feel differently: Union Member Kills Free Market Activist.
    Yeah, hey guys, let's all look at issues based on headlines like Rocket does! No reason to learn the facts.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •