Page 21 of 58 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 579

Thread: Kennesaw City Council rejects mosque proposal

  1. #201
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,774

    Re: Kennesaw City Council rejects mosque proposal

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Denying them to lease a building for a mosque, is not denying them the right to practice their religion.

    Is that better?
    It isn't? Preventing a religious group from opening a meeting place where the adherents can meet to share their beliefs "is not denying them the right to practice their religion"? A strange definition you have there of religion
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  2. #202
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,788

    Re: Kennesaw City Council rejects mosque proposal

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    It isn't? Preventing a religious group from opening a meeting place where the adherents can meet to share their beliefs "is not denying them the right to practice their religion"? A strange definition you have there of religion
    Of course it isn't. Nobody is preventing them from meeting at a house, a park, a bar or a hotel conference room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #203
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Kennesaw City Council rejects mosque proposal

    Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgangirl View Post
    Yet I don't see you having the same issue with other religious establishments.

    Why? Because you "agree" with them?

    Are you not concerned that by treating others this way, you invite that same treatment yourself? From others that don't agree with your faith?
    No. I advocate the right of communities to suppress false religions. That in no way encourages the suppression of the true religion, any more than making it illegal to poison people encourages making it illegal not to poison people.

  4. #204
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,788

    Re: Kennesaw City Council rejects mosque proposal

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    This image probably continues in people's nightmares....reason enough, IMO

    Reason enough... controlled demolition?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #205
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,788

    Re: Kennesaw City Council rejects mosque proposal

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    No. I advocate the right of communities to suppress false religions. That in no way encourages the suppression of the true religion, any more than making it illegal to poison people encourages making it illegal not to poison people.
    So all it takes is to get a few people of like mind together to decide what is a real religion and what is a false religion? Interesting take on justifying oppression.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #206
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Kennesaw City Council rejects mosque proposal

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    This is an infringement on religious freedom. I don't see a rational reason why their request should be denied given the information presented.
    Agreed, a Christian was allowed to do the same thing. Those people are bigots.


  7. #207
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: Kennesaw City Council rejects mosque proposal

    It's fun to watch self proclaimed atheists who spend their time trolling Christians defend Islam in today's climate as though freedom of religion really means anything to them to begin with.

  8. #208
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,117
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Kennesaw City Council rejects mosque proposal

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    It isn't? Preventing a religious group from opening a meeting place where the adherents can meet to share their beliefs "is not denying them the right to practice their religion"? A strange definition you have there of religion
    Don't misunderstand me... I think it's a dumbass move on their part to deny them the lease, but it doesn't violate their constitutional right to worship the god of their choice.

    Like I said, if the town tries to make Islamic beliefs illegal, then get back to me.

    btw, I really love it when socialists like yourself defend Muslims, because it proves true exactly what I have believed for a long time.. That the distain harbored by both socialists and those on the far left isn't toward religion in general, it's a hatred that's focused exclusively on Christianity.

  9. #209
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Kennesaw City Council rejects mosque proposal

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    So all it takes is to get a few people of like mind together to decide what is a real religion and what is a false religion? Interesting take on justifying oppression.
    No. It takes a lawful government to decide to what extent false religions should be repressed.

  10. #210
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,774

    Re: Kennesaw City Council rejects mosque proposal

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Don't misunderstand me... I think it's a dumbass move on their part to deny them the lease, but it doesn't violate their constitutional right to worship the god of their choice.

    Like I said, if the town tries to make Islamic beliefs illegal, then get back to me.

    btw, I really love it when socialists like yourself defend Muslims, because it proves true exactly what I have believed for a long time.. That the distain harbored by both socialists and those on the far left isn't toward religion in general, it's a hatred that's focused exclusively on Christianity.
    Yep, defending the right of one group to gather in worship must mean I really really hate some other group. What's that old saying about making assumptions?

    The funny part for those of us on the outside is the similarity of positions held by fundamentalists of Muslim and Christian stripe, yet the two claim they are so different.

    Anti-womens rights: Check

    Anti "sodomy": Check

    Anti abortion: Check

    Patriarchal dominance: Check

    Anti pornography: Check

    I'm sure there are more that others can add to the list
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

Page 21 of 58 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •