Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 120

Thread: Obama Wants To Help Buy 50,000 Body Cameras For The Nation's 630,000 Police Officers

  1. #1
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,944

    Obama Wants To Help Buy 50,000 Body Cameras For The Nation's 630,000 Police Officers

    The White House announced Monday that President Barack Obama will sign an executive order meant to improve training for local law enforcement agencies that receive equipment through federal grant programs. Among the proposed initiatives is a 3-year, $263 million investment package, of which $75 million would go toward covering half the cost of 50,000 officer-mounted cameras -- a technology that has been widely cited as a necessary police reform following the death of Michael Brown, an unarmed black teenager shot and killed by Ferguson, Missouri police officer Darren Wilson in August.

    Monday's announcement was greeted by some as a victory for transparency in law enforcement. Yet with almost 630,000 police officers working nationwide, it's not clear how much of an effect even 50,000 cameras would have.

    Body cameras have long been a popular proposal among police reform advocates, who say that documenting interactions between officers and civilians can help to eliminate bias and uncertainty regarding alleged misconduct by either party. One frequently cited pilot program in Rialto, California, found that between 2012 and 2013, in the first year of the city using police cameras, the number of complaints filed against officers fell by 88 percent and use of force by officers fell by almost 60 percent.

    Despite resistance from some police officials and union members who have called the cameras an unnecessary distraction for officers, departments in major cities like Chicago, New York, Minneapolis and Washington, D.C., as well as smaller cities like Ferguson, have started using cameras, or have at least announced plans to do so.

    Obama's $75 million program, which still requires congressional approval, would seek to ease the financial burden of outfitting police officers with cameras by providing a 50 percent funding match to states and localities that decide to participate. (Individual cameras cost between $300 and $400, on top of which are the costs associated with storing and maintaining the data recorded by the devices.) But with no ability to compel local police departments to get behind this move, the administration must simply hope that enough law enforcement volunteers are willing to join the program

    Obama Wants To Help Buy 50,000 Body Cameras For The Nation's 630,000 Police Officers


    my question....especially for those who want this

    What is the law regarding anything the officer tapes as to whether or not it can be used as evidence against the person being videoed?

    Does the person have to be mirandized before anything they say or do can be used against them?

    If not, i love the camera idea. It will stop a lot of criminals from getting away with stuff because of technicalities

    And yes, they can be used against officers who probably shouldnt be on the force

    seems like a win/win......no more cases thrown out
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  2. #2
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,971
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama Wants To Help Buy 50,000 Body Cameras For The Nation's 630,000 Police Offic

    How much has been spent on Ferguson, alone? These things will pay for themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,655

    Re: Obama Wants To Help Buy 50,000 Body Cameras For The Nation's 630,000 Police Offic

    The cameras will be minimally effective if at all. It's another "feel good" idea.

    The fact of the matter is that there will always be incidents where the emotional pull for one side or the other will outweigh whatever evidence is presented. There is nothing....absolutely nothing that will change the minds of some folks who believe that Trayvon Martin and/or Mike Brown were murdered. If there was video evidence that Brown punched Wilson, grabbed his gun, and ran back at him there would still be people out there blaming Wilson for stopping him in the first place.

    This camera footage will be subpoenaed for everything and anything. Think about it, somebody gets their nose out of joint because they see a cop yelling at a jaywalker and next thing you know the request goes out for his or her camera footage of the incident. The cop didn't do anything wrong but the yelling will be cause for a civil action against the PD for "creating an uncomfortable environment".

  4. #4
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Obama Wants To Help Buy 50,000 Body Cameras For The Nation's 630,000 Police Offic

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    The White House announced Monday that President Barack Obama will sign an executive order meant to improve training for local law enforcement agencies that receive equipment through federal grant programs. Among the proposed initiatives is a 3-year, $263 million investment package, of which $75 million would go toward covering half the cost of 50,000 officer-mounted cameras -- a technology that has been widely cited as a necessary police reform following the death of Michael Brown, an unarmed black teenager shot and killed by Ferguson, Missouri police officer Darren Wilson in August.

    Monday's announcement was greeted by some as a victory for transparency in law enforcement. Yet with almost 630,000 police officers working nationwide, it's not clear how much of an effect even 50,000 cameras would have.

    Body cameras have long been a popular proposal among police reform advocates, who say that documenting interactions between officers and civilians can help to eliminate bias and uncertainty regarding alleged misconduct by either party. One frequently cited pilot program in Rialto, California, found that between 2012 and 2013, in the first year of the city using police cameras, the number of complaints filed against officers fell by 88 percent and use of force by officers fell by almost 60 percent.

    Despite resistance from some police officials and union members who have called the cameras an unnecessary distraction for officers, departments in major cities like Chicago, New York, Minneapolis and Washington, D.C., as well as smaller cities like Ferguson, have started using cameras, or have at least announced plans to do so.

    Obama's $75 million program, which still requires congressional approval, would seek to ease the financial burden of outfitting police officers with cameras by providing a 50 percent funding match to states and localities that decide to participate. (Individual cameras cost between $300 and $400, on top of which are the costs associated with storing and maintaining the data recorded by the devices.) But with no ability to compel local police departments to get behind this move, the administration must simply hope that enough law enforcement volunteers are willing to join the program

    Obama Wants To Help Buy 50,000 Body Cameras For The Nation's 630,000 Police Officers


    my question....especially for those who want this

    What is the law regarding anything the officer tapes as to whether or not it can be used as evidence against the person being videoed?

    Does the person have to be mirandized before anything they say or do can be used against them?

    If not, i love the camera idea. It will stop a lot of criminals from getting away with stuff because of technicalities

    And yes, they can be used against officers who probably shouldnt be on the force

    seems like a win/win......no more cases thrown out
    I'm good with the idea, although it will be interesting how it is used in courts to prosecute civilians as if they haven't heard their Miranda rights, then that means it shouldn't be used then right? Although I guess in that situation you can still use the cop's testimony, but then, he can just re-watch the video and just say what's on there.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Obama Wants To Help Buy 50,000 Body Cameras For The Nation's 630,000 Police Offic

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    The cameras will be minimally effective if at all. It's another "feel good" idea.

    The fact of the matter is that there will always be incidents where the emotional pull for one side or the other will outweigh whatever evidence is presented. There is nothing....absolutely nothing that will change the minds of some folks who believe that Trayvon Martin and/or Mike Brown were murdered. If there was video evidence that Brown punched Wilson, grabbed his gun, and ran back at him there would still be people out there blaming Wilson for stopping him in the first place.

    This camera footage will be subpoenaed for everything and anything. Think about it, somebody gets their nose out of joint because they see a cop yelling at a jaywalker and next thing you know the request goes out for his or her camera footage of the incident. The cop didn't do anything wrong but the yelling will be cause for a civil action against the PD for "creating an uncomfortable environment".
    Eh....

    One frequently cited pilot program in Rialto, California, found that between 2012 and 2013, in the first year of the city using police cameras, the number of complaints filed against officers fell by 88 percent and use of force by officers fell by almost 60 percent.
    Come again?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #6
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Obama Wants To Help Buy 50,000 Body Cameras For The Nation's 630,000 Police Offic

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    The cameras will be minimally effective if at all. It's another "feel good" idea.

    The fact of the matter is that there will always be incidents where the emotional pull for one side or the other will outweigh whatever evidence is presented. There is nothing....absolutely nothing that will change the minds of some folks who believe that Trayvon Martin and/or Mike Brown were murdered. If there was video evidence that Brown punched Wilson, grabbed his gun, and ran back at him there would still be people out there blaming Wilson for stopping him in the first place.

    This camera footage will be subpoenaed for everything and anything. Think about it, somebody gets their nose out of joint because they see a cop yelling at a jaywalker and next thing you know the request goes out for his or her camera footage of the incident. The cop didn't do anything wrong but the yelling will be cause for a civil action against the PD for "creating an uncomfortable environment".
    I would add this however; were it to make an impact on how blacks view police, and make them feel more comfortable that the police officer has a camera, then it could do some good. Regardless of the facts though, blacks in this country are mistrustful of the police. And while much of that mistrust stems from a bunch race baiters like Sharpton, it is, however, the sad truth of it. So the question becomes, do you think it will have an impact on how blacks view police? I doubt it. Because you'll still have blacks breaking the law because they come from subpar (compared to whites) economic conditions, and we have a drug law in this country that has been disproportionately looking up blacks.

    Although, 263 million dollars is really a drop in the bucket when we're talking about a multi-trillion dollar budget. And if it helps in some civil liberties cases, then it can't hurt.

  7. #7
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Obama Wants To Help Buy 50,000 Body Cameras For The Nation's 630,000 Police Offic

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Eh....

    Come again?
    Since you see familiar with the pilot, let me ask you, how much access does the general public have to these videos? What must be done?

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Obama Wants To Help Buy 50,000 Body Cameras For The Nation's 630,000 Police Offic

    Outside of whether the cameras are good or not - I am against it.

    Let the states pay for the cameras. And failing that, let the individual constituencies pay for them. And if they cannot - tough.

    I am sick of the feds meddling in everything they can. It is ridiculous, the money comes from taxpayers - not the tooth fairy. Why tax them at a federal level for these cameras when it should be done at the local level? If this was for the FBI, okay then. But it ain't.

    Imo, this is little more then another example of federal politicians wanting people more dependent on them as politicians LOVE power...and the more, the better.
    Last edited by DA60; 12-02-14 at 07:14 PM.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,928
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Obama Wants To Help Buy 50,000 Body Cameras For The Nation's 630,000 Police Offic

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    The White House announced Monday that President Barack Obama will sign an executive order meant to improve training for local law enforcement agencies that receive equipment through federal grant programs. Among the proposed initiatives is a 3-year, $263 million investment package, of which $75 million would go toward covering half the cost of 50,000 officer-mounted cameras -- a technology that has been widely cited as a necessary police reform following the death of Michael Brown, an unarmed black teenager shot and killed by Ferguson, Missouri police officer Darren Wilson in August.

    Monday's announcement was greeted by some as a victory for transparency in law enforcement. Yet with almost 630,000 police officers working nationwide, it's not clear how much of an effect even 50,000 cameras would have.

    Body cameras have long been a popular proposal among police reform advocates, who say that documenting interactions between officers and civilians can help to eliminate bias and uncertainty regarding alleged misconduct by either party. One frequently cited pilot program in Rialto, California, found that between 2012 and 2013, in the first year of the city using police cameras, the number of complaints filed against officers fell by 88 percent and use of force by officers fell by almost 60 percent.

    Despite resistance from some police officials and union members who have called the cameras an unnecessary distraction for officers, departments in major cities like Chicago, New York, Minneapolis and Washington, D.C., as well as smaller cities like Ferguson, have started using cameras, or have at least announced plans to do so.

    Obama's $75 million program, which still requires congressional approval, would seek to ease the financial burden of outfitting police officers with cameras by providing a 50 percent funding match to states and localities that decide to participate. (Individual cameras cost between $300 and $400, on top of which are the costs associated with storing and maintaining the data recorded by the devices.) But with no ability to compel local police departments to get behind this move, the administration must simply hope that enough law enforcement volunteers are willing to join the program

    Obama Wants To Help Buy 50,000 Body Cameras For The Nation's 630,000 Police Officers


    my question....especially for those who want this

    What is the law regarding anything the officer tapes as to whether or not it can be used as evidence against the person being videoed?

    Does the person have to be mirandized before anything they say or do can be used against them?

    If not, i love the camera idea. It will stop a lot of criminals from getting away with stuff because of technicalities

    And yes, they can be used against officers who probably shouldnt be on the force

    seems like a win/win......no more cases thrown out
    Instead of getting to the root of the problem and fixing it what we are going to do is the time old adage of rich uncle sam and shower money and camera's at it.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Obama Wants To Help Buy 50,000 Body Cameras For The Nation's 630,000 Police Offic

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    Since you see familiar with the pilot, let me ask you, how much access does the general public have to these videos? What must be done?
    There's always the internet:

    How Do I Request Police in Car Video to Fight a Speeding Ticket? | eHow

    Request the video in a politely worded letter. You will want to ask for a copy from the specific car, taken at the specific time that you were pulled over. If you don't know the license plate on the car, ask for the tape from the car being driven that day by the officer who ticketed you. Mention in your letter that you are making your request in accordance with your state's public access laws, and make sure you provide a method by which the police department can reach you.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •