Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 58 of 58

Thread: President Obama to order more training, oversight for military gear to cops.....

  1. #51
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,208

    Re: President Obama to order more training, oversight for military gear to cops.....

    I was going to make a sarcastic paranoid post about President Obama turning policemen into gubbermint spies, but notice I'm way behind the crazies who actually believe it! They're out there way beyond parody.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: President Obama to order more training, oversight for military gear to cops.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    I was going to make a sarcastic paranoid post about President Obama turning policemen into gubbermint spies, but notice I'm way behind the crazies who actually believe it! They're out there way beyond parody.
    What are you talking about Skipper.....almost all in here have agreed with BO's EO about Cops wearing Cameras. Although like it was stated Libertarians have been about that issue for quite some time.

  3. #53
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,446

    Re: President Obama to order more training, oversight for military gear to cops.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Generally speaking I think you're right but we also need to consider that the police are the first response force for terror incidents so specialized equipment and training for such events is absolutely necessary. The problem we're having right now isn't that the cops have such equipment. It's that the equipment and tactics are being used in situations where they probably aren't necessary.

    And that is my point. If they are needed and the American people seem to think so, then is must be recognized that these weapons can be and have been misused. And therefor Obama is correct in calling people together to set standards for who gets them, how they are stored, and how they are deployed in view of the fact the constitution specifically the use of military against US citizens. Calling them "police" and then issuing military equipment is simply calling the cat a pussy.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: President Obama to order more training, oversight for military gear to cops.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    And that is my point. If they are needed and the American people seem to think so, then is must be recognized that these weapons can be and have been misused. And therefor Obama is correct in calling people together to set standards for who gets them, how they are stored, and how they are deployed in view of the fact the constitution specifically the use of military against US citizens. Calling them "police" and then issuing military equipment is simply calling the cat a pussy.

    Well they do have issues over terminology and of course spelling.....tends to cause their bubbles to burst.

  5. #55
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: President Obama to order more training, oversight for military gear to cops.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    I was going to make a sarcastic paranoid post about President Obama turning policemen into gubbermint spies, but notice I'm way behind the crazies who actually believe it! They're out there way beyond parody.
    Well thanks for bringing that up. You mean the NSA won't have access? Be honest. The FBI does.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: President Obama to order more training, oversight for military gear to cops.....

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Maybe, but maybe not. It may just cut down on police conduct in general which is not necessarily a good thing. When in doubt whether the camera caught the initial criminal act then why make any effort to pursue that any further? Why take a chance on getting into trouble, especially in "bad" neighborhoods?
    Which means they're more likely to call for backup, doesn't it?
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  7. #57
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,966

    Re: President Obama to order more training, oversight for military gear to cops.....

    The cameras will monitor civilians just as much as they monitor police. That the cameras are not fixed to street poles but are instead walking around makes no difference. It still counts as government surveillance.

    I also hope that this means they will stop jackbooting civilians for videotaping police action, since, you know, police are now going to be "monitored" anyway.

    Don't people see where this is going? Now police departments can say that their footage disagrees with civilian footage.

    One more step in the wrong direction for Amerika.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: President Obama to order more training, oversight for military gear to cops.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The cameras will monitor civilians just as much as they monitor police. That the cameras are not fixed to street poles but are instead walking around makes no difference. It still counts as government surveillance.

    I also hope that this means they will stop jackbooting civilians for videotaping police action, since, you know, police are now going to be "monitored" anyway.

    Don't people see where this is going? Now police departments can say that their footage disagrees with civilian footage.

    One more step in the wrong direction for Amerika.

    Heya NL. Which it doesn't count the Drones that Law Enforcement will be sending out too.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •