Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51

Thread: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

  1. #41
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    In my mind? Lol:

    Threats of Violence Against Individuals :: First Amendment--Religion and Expression :: US Constitution :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia



    A wife being threatened violence by a husband and then that husband carrying out the threat a hurting/murdering his wife? Unheard of.
    I don't know where your snark is coming from, maybe your just a miserable individual, who knows? But that's what this court is deciding now is it not? What constitutes a threat?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #42
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,023

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I don't know where your snark is coming from, maybe your just a miserable individual, who knows? But that's what this court is deciding now is it not? What constitutes a threat?
    As such, I have stated what my idea of a threat constitutes. That you believe you have a right to threaten individuals is another matter entirely. Clue: You don't.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #43
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    As such, I have stated what my idea of a threat constitutes. That you believe you have a right to threaten individuals is another matter entirely. Clue: You don't.
    Point out where I said that?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #44
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,023

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Point out where I said that?
    Do you understand what this case is about? You just stated this case was about free speech. Threats aren't covered under free speech.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #45
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Do you understand what this case is about? You just stated this case was about free speech. Threats aren't covered under free speech.
    Yes, I understand...Still waiting for you to point out where I said what you just said I did....Otherwise admit you just made it up.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #46
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,023

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Yes, I understand...Still waiting for you to point out where I said what you just said I did....Otherwise admit you just made it up.
    Eh, the fact that you're defending the words of this person because you believe they have a right free speech show you actually think threats fall under free speech. Own your statements.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #47
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    You want the government monitoring what you say in places like that? What's to stop them from monitoring you in here?
    The government found the posts in response to a complaint made to them. Since, under the commonly used standard, those posts reported to them could be considered complaints, they continued to investigate. Do byou somehow think the police should not be able to check facebook in response to a complaint of threats from some one?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,023

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The government found the posts in response to a complaint made to them. Since, under the commonly used standard, those posts reported to them could be considered complaints, they continued to investigate. Do byou somehow think the police should not be able to check facebook in response to a complaint of threats from some one?
    He's just anti-government. He doesn't really understand what this case is about or how it developed. At the center of it is whether he meant to carry out the act. To be honest, I don't think it makes a difference because the context for any sort of artistic expression simply wasn't there. It was clear that he meant to intimidate his wife and make her fear for her life. That's simply unacceptable.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #49
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,731

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Along with rights come......

    Wait for it......

    Responsibilities.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  10. #50
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    He's just anti-government. He doesn't really understand what this case is about or how it developed. At the center of it is whether he meant to carry out the act. To be honest, I don't think it makes a difference because the context for any sort of artistic expression simply wasn't there. It was clear that he meant to intimidate his wife and make her fear for her life. That's simply unacceptable.
    I got the impression he did not really make it past the admittedly misleading headline before his outrage kicked in. We need to spend less time outraged and more time researching.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •