Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 51

Thread: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

  1. #31
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    No, your point was irrelevant as shown.

    If you want to let it go, do so. You do not need to talk about it to do it.
    No, my point was relevant to what I was discussing with another person, and relevant to this case in that way. Just accept you are not seeing the point, that you do not understand it, and that you cannot actually address it.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No, my point was relevant to what I was discussing with another person, and relevant to this case in that way. Just accept you are not seeing the point, that you do not understand it, and that you cannot actually address it.
    No it wasn't, as already shown.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  3. #33
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    No it wasn't, as already shown.
    Well no. What has been shown is my point went over your head.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Well no. What has been shown is my point went over your head.

    No, actually what was shown was that your point was irrelevant as they are not even close in comparison.
    And apparently you are unable to comprehend that.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  5. #35
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So... authorities should stay away from what people say ... when they're threatening violence against others? You don't have a right to threaten anyone.
    You want the government monitoring what you say in places like that? What's to stop them from monitoring you in here?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #36
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    If this is the case I remember, the government wasn't "monitoring" anything. Correct me if I'm wrong but this case started with the individual left his ex-wife "friended" on Facebook and then posted the content in question. The wife then contacted authorities because she felt threatened. Not a case of the government "monitoring" Facebook, but exactly what you requested - a response to a specific perceived threat.



    >>>>

  7. #37
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    If this is the case I remember, the government wasn't "monitoring" anything. Correct me if I'm wrong but this case started with the individual left his ex-wife "friended" on Facebook and then posted the content in question. The wife then contacted authorities because she felt threatened. Not a case of the government "monitoring" Facebook, but exactly what you requested - a response to a specific perceived threat.



    >>>>
    Yes, that is one of the examples, however, I think now that it is in the courts it has morphed.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #38
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    You want the government monitoring what you say in places like that? What's to stop them from monitoring you in here?
    You don't realize that nobody was monitored right? It's almost like you don't know what happened in the case.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #39
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You don't realize that nobody was monitored right? It's almost like you don't know what happened in the case.
    What in your mind constitutes a threat?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #40
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What in your mind constitutes a threat?
    In my mind? Lol:

    Threats of Violence Against Individuals :: First Amendment--Religion and Expression :: US Constitution :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

    The Ninth Circuit concluded that a “true threat” is “a statement which, in the entire context and under all the circumstances, a reasonable person would foresee would be interpreted by those to whom the statement is communicated as a serious expression of intent to inflict bodily harm upon that person.”995 “It is not necessary that the defendant intend to, or be able to carry out his threat; the only intent requirement for a true threat is that the defendant intentionally or knowingly communicate the threat.”996
    A wife being threatened violence by a husband and then that husband carrying out the threat a hurting/murdering his wife? Unheard of.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •