Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 51

Thread: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

  1. #21
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Context. Those lyrics at some unnamed individual are not threats. Aimed at an individual, they could very well be under the law. You can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater, [b]except/b] when there really is a fire. Same word, but in two different situations, different liability. Context is always important.

    In this case I don't to my mind think the context is enough to make those words actual threats, but just because they are actual song lyrics does not impact on my reasoning.
    Not the same as yelling fire in a theater (an antiquated law).
    Yelling fire in a theater when it was made illegal had a great propensity to cause actual harm and death because of the conditions.
    Simply threatening another does not have such a propensity.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  2. #22
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Not the same as yelling fire in a theater (an antiquated law).
    Yelling fire in a theater when it was made illegal had a great propensity to cause actual harm and death because of the conditions.
    Simply threatening another does not have such a propensity.
    I am not suggesting it is the same. I was using it as the classic limit to free speech example, and how context plays a role in it.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I am not suggesting it is the same. I was using it as the classic limit to free speech example, and how context plays a role in it.
    And I was pointing out that your example doesn't fit because of the propensity of actual harm to occur, which is the reason that limit on speech is in place, does not exist in simply making threatening speech.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  4. #24
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,596

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The medium isn't at issue in the case. The issue before SCOTUS is whether intent is required for something to be a threat. The medium kinda matters in that it provides context(yelling "I am going to kill you" to some one's face is more threatening than posting it on facebook kinda thing), and that the laws he was specifically charged with breaking involved making threats over interstate commerce communications(ie, the internets). The only question SCOTUS is looking at is the intent question.
    So, the justices are weighing the limits of free speech, not just free speech over the internet.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #25
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    So, the justices are weighing the limits of free speech, not just free speech over the internet.
    Basically correct. The article headline in the OP is somewhat misleading.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #26
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    And I was pointing out that your example doesn't fit because of the propensity of actual harm to occur, which is the reason that limit on speech is in place, does not exist in simply making threatening speech.
    Which has exactly nothing to do with the point I was trying to make, which is that words have to be considered in context.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Which has exactly nothing to do with the point I was trying to make, which is that words have to be considered in context.

    It puts your point into proper context as having no meaning to "threats".
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  8. #28
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    It puts your point into proper context as having no meaning to "threats".
    It has become abundantly clear you are talking about something entirely different from what I was. Best bet is to just let it go, as you are not going to take the effort to read what I wrote in the context I wrote it.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Not sure what you all think of this, but my personal feeling is that the authorities should stay the hell out of monitoring what people say on mediums like Facebook unless they have some kind of specific threat to follow up...As much as I disagree with bullies, and thugs on the internet, I must defend their right to free speech because someday it may be extended further down in ugly ways...Thoughts?
    So... authorities should stay away from what people say ... when they're threatening violence against others? You don't have a right to threaten anyone.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #30
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Justices weigh limits of free speech over Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    It has become abundantly clear you are talking about something entirely different from what I was. Best bet is to just let it go, as you are not going to take the effort to read what I wrote in the context I wrote it.

    No, your point was irrelevant as shown.

    If you want to let it go, do so. You do not need to talk about it to do it.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •