Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 90

Thread: Arkansas, Mississippi overturn gay marriage bans

  1. #71
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:20 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,289

    Re: Arkansas, Mississippi overturn gay marriage bans

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Actually no the results of the vast majority of all intercourse is the same for opposite sex and same sex couples. Very few times does opposite sex intercourse lead to babies.
    Maybe you would like to look into how probability works, what it means and then the probabilities of reproduction and all that. There lies the reason that matrimony was such a successful social tool to assure reproduction.

  2. #72
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Arkansas, Mississippi overturn gay marriage bans

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    - I thought that I had said further up, that there was no good reason to have Matrimony a state run show, as we have pretty much eliminated its characteristics as a public good. The state should only be doing public goods and not private ones. So get it out of the marriage business with all the complicated and messy laws, transfers and regulation. If people want to live together fine. But without the government interfering in any way.

    - And that not withstanding, why should two unequal things be treated as equals? I understand a swindler wanting it thus, but as I understand you, you are not trying to cheat anyone and seem capable of rational thought. So where is the sense?
    Recognition of next of kin is a public affair. Many laws connected to it which is why government also handles birth certificates.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #73
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Arkansas, Mississippi overturn gay marriage bans

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Maybe you would like to look into how probability works, what it means and then the probabilities of reproduction and all that. There lies the reason that matrimony was such a successful social tool to assure reproduction.
    I know what means. And only in your subjective opinion is the reason for marriage (which is what we are discussing) for reproduction. Legally that is simply not true.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #74
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Arkansas, Mississippi overturn gay marriage bans

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    - I thought that I had said further up, that there was no good reason to have Matrimony a state run show, as we have pretty much eliminated its characteristics as a public good. The state should only be doing public goods and not private ones. So get it out of the marriage business with all the complicated and messy laws, transfers and regulation. If people want to live together fine. But without the government interfering in any way.

    - And that not withstanding, why should two unequal things be treated as equals? I understand a swindler wanting it thus, but as I understand you, you are not trying to cheat anyone and seem capable of rational thought. So where is the sense?
    Their relationships are not unequal legally. Legal marriage, no matter how much you wish to bitch and moan about it, is not about making babies, it is about the relationship of the two involved.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #75
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Arkansas, Mississippi overturn gay marriage bans

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Maybe you would like to look into how probability works, what it means and then the probabilities of reproduction and all that. There lies the reason that matrimony was such a successful social tool to assure reproduction.
    Oh and probability of something wasn't your argument. You claimed heterosexual intercourse resulted in babies, and that is why they get married. It fails since the vast majority of the time, over 99.9%, opposite sex couples have sex that does not result in babies. Around 15% of opposite sex! married couples don't have children due to their having sex.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #76
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:20 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,289

    Re: Arkansas, Mississippi overturn gay marriage bans

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Oh and probability of something wasn't your argument. You claimed heterosexual intercourse resulted in babies, and that is why they get married. It fails since the vast majority of the time, over 99.9%, opposite sex couples have sex that does not result in babies. Around 15% of opposite sex! married couples don't have children due to their having sex.
    Don't be silly.

  7. #77
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Arkansas, Mississippi overturn gay marriage bans

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Don't be silly.
    Silly about what? The facts? People in the US ages 20-49 have sex an average of about 11 billion times per year, yet there were only about 3,952,841 births in 2012. So without including teenagers at all, even though some of those births came from them, that puts sex at resulting in a birth at about 0.36%. So not quite 99.9%, but definitely 99.6%. Even if you added another million to account for pregnancies rather than births, it still doesn't result more than 0.46% of the time, putting it at 99.5%. And I didn't even add in old people, who do have sex or teenagers. Plus, this also doesn't take into account something like IVF or sperm donation leading to a pregnancy.

    The Kinsey Institute - Sexuality Information Links - FAQ [Related Resources]

    Age and Sex Composition in the United States: 2012 - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau

    FastStats - Births and Natality
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #78
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Arkansas, Mississippi overturn gay marriage bans

    OP title inaccurate, the states did not overturn their bans, that was a federal court in both cases.

  9. #79
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: Arkansas, Mississippi overturn gay marriage bans

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    OP title inaccurate, the states did not overturn their bans, that was a federal court in both cases.
    This is true, I didnt even notice, good catch
    no surprise FOX screwed up the, nobody screws up more than FOX and MSNBC they are the Micheal Jordan and Kobe Bryant of bias, "mistakes" and dishonesty
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:20 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,289

    Re: Arkansas, Mississippi overturn gay marriage bans

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Silly about what? The facts? People in the US ages 20-49 have sex an average of about 11 billion times per year, yet there were only about 3,952,841 births in 2012. So without including teenagers at all, even though some of those births came from them, that puts sex at resulting in a birth at about 0.36%. So not quite 99.9%, but definitely 99.6%. Even if you added another million to account for pregnancies rather than births, it still doesn't result more than 0.46% of the time, putting it at 99.5%. And I didn't even add in old people, who do have sex or teenagers. Plus, this also doesn't take into account something like IVF or sperm donation leading to a pregnancy.

    The Kinsey Institute - Sexuality Information Links - FAQ [Related Resources]

    Age and Sex Composition in the United States: 2012 - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau

    FastStats - Births and Natality
    Only someone with an agenda would argue in such a selective way. That is what I meant about not being silly. Your arguments only make it clear, that matrimony has widely lost its prime function as a social instrument and public good. So put it, where it belongs and get government out of the matter. Or are you afraid to lose the spousal bonifications that single taxpayers are probably paying you. Or are you one of the ones acting economically irrational and paying more than you would as singles?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •