Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 161

Thread: Increased Pay for working Thanksgiving

  1. #81
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,136

    Re: Increased Pay for working Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Sure it does, but that wasn't really my point. Workers going on strike is technically a breach of contract since they agreed to provide their labor to the employer. I don't think many people would say breach of contract is not a good reason to fire someone.
    says a person who doesn't labor for almost nothing in a company town. there's a reason for that. enjoy your two day weekends.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Increased Pay for working Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    says a person who doesn't labor for almost nothing in a company town. there's a reason for that. enjoy your two day weekends.
    How many times did that happen?

    I'm sorry, but what you support is not only blackmail, but also breach of contract. Both of which are grounds to fire someone, imho.

  3. #83
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Increased Pay for working Thanksgiving

    So here's something for you all to comment on:

    My local dump is open Thurs. thru Mon (closed Tues/Wed). Due to my rural location, many of us take trash/recycling to the dump rather than having it picked up.

    The dump workers, as far as I know, don't get paid extra for weekends.

    They have recently submitted a proposal to the county that the dump be open from Tues thru Sat so that workers get Sunday off for time with their families, religious services, etc.

    I happen to be against this, because since I work Mon thru Fri, I can only get there on the weekends and, due to other commitments, that often means going on a Sunday.

    I feel they knew the days when they took the jobs; they are decent-paying jobs for our area; and they need to enjoy the fact that their days off during the week means they could volunteer with their kids' schools or run errands and doctor's appts without missing work.

    I know I may be self-serving on this, but there are many businesses in our area where people have to work weekends (hotels, restaurants, shops, etc)

    I have (on a local message board) suggested they set up 4/10s - i.e. open 10 hours a day, but workers work 4 days in a row instead of 5. Then half could get Saturdays off, half could get Sundays off.

    Am I just insensitive to think there is nothing sacred about having one of the weekend days off?

  4. #84
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,136

    Re: Increased Pay for working Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    How many times did that happen?

    I'm sorry, but what you support is not only blackmail, but also breach of contract. Both of which are grounds to fire someone, imho.
    just a couple times.

    List of company towns in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  5. #85
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 05:28 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,020

    Re: Increased Pay for working Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    How many people who complain about others working on Holidays do something... anything... that requires other people to work?
    Some people have to work during a holiday, that's just how it goes. Heck, I've worked on holidays.

    However, ideally we will should keep it to a minimum, and to people who have to work. Doctors, nurses, police, 911 operators, nuclear power plant operators, and the like.

    Yes, there are some less-than-critical people who still wind up working. That doesn't mean we should encourage people to treat a holiday where we give thanks as another few hours to stampede the local Walmart and buy a bunch of crap that no one needs.

    I.e. it's not just about "people working." It's about turning a holiday that is about family, and appreciating one's good fortune in life, into another excuse to shop.

  6. #86
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,115

    Re: Increased Pay for working Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    So this is why I'm conflicted. There have been Thanksgivings where I've gone out to dinner; thanks to those of you who work that day! there are also holidays where going to the mall for movie is what I would love to do - thank goodness movie theaters are usually open!

    But of course, I'm depriving the workers of enjoying that time with their families (assuming they aren't Jehovah's Witnesses who don't observe the holidays)

    So there are people who don't want to have a day shut up with their families - they want to go out to movies, or bowling, or shopping, or whatever. And if a store is willing to accommodate them, well that's their choice. And of course restaurants, hospitals, police officers, security guards, etc, don't have a choice. There are many people who have to work holidays; but hopefully they knew that going into that occupation.

    But for stores that have not been open on holidays in the past but who have decided to open on them - their employees should be able to refuse to work those days without penalty. If stores really need them, they can pay them enough to come in.

    I personally will not shop on Black Friday or Black Thursday or whatever. I hate crowds. But like I said -going out to dinner or seeing a movie - I have done that in the past.

    So - Conflict is Me....
    I knew it going in and that was fine... I agree that most shops should not be open on those days though. As a teacher now though? I get everything off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  7. #87
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Increased Pay for working Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    Some people have to work during a holiday, that's just how it goes. Heck, I've worked on holidays.

    However, ideally we will should keep it to a minimum, and to people who have to work. Doctors, nurses, police, 911 operators, nuclear power plant operators, and the like.

    Yes, there are some less-than-critical people who still wind up working. That doesn't mean we should encourage people to treat a holiday where we give thanks as another few hours to stampede the local Walmart and buy a bunch of crap that no one needs.

    I.e. it's not just about "people working." It's about turning a holiday that is about family, and appreciating one's good fortune in life, into another excuse to shop.
    The rest of my post... you know, the part you snipped out... doesn't mention critical positions that simply cannot be closed for the day, precisely for that reason. That's a given.

    I have worked holidays, too, and I personally didn't really care. My sole point is that indignation is hollow if the indignant person has ever done any activity that required non-critical people to work on a holiday.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #88
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    Re: Increased Pay for working Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    That is part of it, but you left out the part about Americans being willing to buy cheaper goods over more expensive goods.
    If all the TV manufactures left for China and other countries then you do not have a choice but to buy foreign made TV.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #89
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,948

    Re: Increased Pay for working Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    How many times did that happen?

    I'm sorry, but what you support is not only blackmail, but also breach of contract. Both of which are grounds to fire someone, imho.
    Happened all the time in the rural west until unionization
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  10. #90
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Increased Pay for working Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    If all the TV manufactures left for China and other countries then you do not have a choice but to buy foreign made TV.
    Element Televisions are made in the US and I own 3 of them. Lenovo, while a Chinese owned company, makes laptops in the US and I own one of them. None of that changes that is not why TV's stopped being made in the US. Japan offered better TV's at a lower price so people bought their Sony over a Curtis Mathis.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •