Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 161

Thread: Increased Pay for working Thanksgiving

  1. #111
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Increased Pay for working Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    The rest of my post... you know, the part you snipped out... doesn't mention critical positions that simply cannot be closed for the day, precisely for that reason. That's a given.

    I have worked holidays, too, and I personally didn't really care. My sole point is that indignation is hollow if the indignant person has ever done any activity that required non-critical people to work on a holiday.

    I agree with your point about people who don't want the stores open should do no shopping at all on that day - including don't gas the car, don't run to the store for a last minute item, don't pick up a bottle of wine on the way over to someone's house, etc.

    My personal preference is usually to avoid shopping that day - to have a meal at our house or a friend's house, watch some TV, relax. (Although as I admitted, I have eaten out at times, or wanted to go to a movie or bowling or something.)

    But everyone is different; and if there are people who want to shop that day, and there are store owners who want to open the stores - who am I to say they shouldn't be able to connect? Not everyone has a family in town that they are celebrating with. Not everyone has the traditions that I have.

    So while I don't like stores opening earlier, I realize this is a personal thing, and getting indignant is, as you say, a bit hypocritical on my part and also means I'm forcing my values on others.

    But - I do think the idea that stores pay more for people to come in on a national holiday is a good idea; and workers should be able to say "no thanks, I'm not working that day" without penalty. I bet there are a lot of workers that would HAPPILY move their family celebration to another day for sufficient pay!

    (and, as you said, of course this is only for non-essential services; obviously, hospitals, ERs, cops, fire fighters, etc will need to have workers in.)

    Do we need a law for triple pay on holidays? that would be nice. We have laws about overtime pay; each worker doesn't have to negotiate that separately. Having a law would help those workers who don't feel comfortable asking for more pay from their managers (not everyone is as courageous as US Conservative on this).

  2. #112
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:33 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Increased Pay for working Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    I agree with your point about people who don't want the stores open should do no shopping at all on that day - including don't gas the car, don't run to the store for a last minute item, don't pick up a bottle of wine on the way over to someone's house, etc.

    My personal preference is usually to avoid shopping that day - to have a meal at our house or a friend's house, watch some TV, relax. (Although as I admitted, I have eaten out at times, or wanted to go to a movie or bowling or something.)

    But everyone is different; and if there are people who want to shop that day, and there are store owners who want to open the stores - who am I to say they shouldn't be able to connect? Not everyone has a family in town that they are celebrating with. Not everyone has the traditions that I have.

    So while I don't like stores opening earlier, I realize this is a personal thing, and getting indignant is, as you say, a bit hypocritical on my part and also means I'm forcing my values on others.

    But - I do think the idea that stores pay more for people to come in on a national holiday is a good idea; and workers should be able to say "no thanks, I'm not working that day" without penalty. I bet there are a lot of workers that would HAPPILY move their family celebration to another day for sufficient pay!

    (and, as you said, of course this is only for non-essential services; obviously, hospitals, ERs, cops, fire fighters, etc will need to have workers in.)

    Do we need a law for triple pay on holidays? that would be nice. We have laws about overtime pay; each worker doesn't have to negotiate that separately. Having a law would help those workers who don't feel comfortable asking for more pay from their managers (not everyone is as courageous as US Conservative on this).
    Excellent post. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

    I have no issue with extra pay for the day, but I don't think it should be government mandated at all.

    Only thing I would add to your post is that in addition to some people having no family and being fine with working, there are some people who cannot afford to take a day off and truly need the money. They have bills to pay, and so on. (Not everyone would get holiday pay, especially lower level retail people.)

    As for me, I don't get indignant because, for the most part, I don't care one way or another. I'm just tired of people complaining then talk about their plans to see a movie that day. I have in my lifetime gone to eat, or to a movie, on a holiday. It's rare for me, though. Not because I have some point to make, but simply because I absolutely hate large crowds.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #113
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,989
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Increased Pay for working Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    This year I'll be working on both Thanksgiving and Black Friday and I get time and a half, which is fine but nothing to write home about.

    But the thing is, neither consumers or retailers really give a **** about the retail workers in this case. At least not as much as they care about money and sales. It really is a race to the bottom but whatever, it is what it is I guess. Two years ago we opened at midnight, last year we opened at 6pm. This year we are open at 5pm and I have to be at work at 3pm on Thursday. At least this year we actually aren't open overnight, which is a plus.
    You work at Target.



    My condolences.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  4. #114
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,989
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Increased Pay for working Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    labor organization would render this issue moot.
    But generate more and worse problems than this.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  5. #115
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,112

    Re: Increased Pay for working Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    But generate more and worse problems than this.
    before we have a conversation, are you for or against increased pay for working on Thanksgiving?

  6. #116
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Increased Pay for working Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Excellent post. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

    I have no issue with extra pay for the day, but I don't think it should be government mandated at all.

    Only thing I would add to your post is that in addition to some people having no family and being fine with working, there are some people who cannot afford to take a day off and truly need the money. They have bills to pay, and so on. (Not everyone would get holiday pay, especially lower level retail people.)

    As for me, I don't get indignant because, for the most part, I don't care one way or another. I'm just tired of people complaining then talk about their plans to see a movie that day. I have in my lifetime gone to eat, or to a movie, on a holiday. It's rare for me, though. Not because I have some point to make, but simply because I absolutely hate large crowds.
    Totally agree, especially with the bolded parts!

    (note to others: I added the bolding)

  7. #117
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,989
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Increased Pay for working Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    before we have a conversation, are you for or against increased pay for working on Thanksgiving?
    I am for not forcing people to work that day as a requirement of employment.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  8. #118
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,112

    Re: Increased Pay for working Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    I am for not forcing people to work that day as a requirement of employment.
    are you for protecting them from the repercussions that may come if they refuse to work that day when asked?

  9. #119
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Increased Pay for working Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    are you for protecting them from the repercussions that may come if they refuse to work that day when asked?
    Even with legal protections, there is nothing to stop an employer from firing a worker who is uncooperative. Maybe they just wait a few weeks and fire them for some bogus reason.

    I've have been fired twice in my life. Both times it was at a company where my supervisor became upset when I refused to work on a particular weekend because I was a military reservist and had drill that weekend. Neither time was I fired for not working that weekend, but both times I was told that I didn't have the "aptitude" required for the job. Just one of those things that "makes you go hmmm".
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  10. #120
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Increased Pay for working Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    You work at Target.



    My condolences.
    Best Buy, but hey what difference does it make on Black Friday lol.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •