Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 325

Thread: Reports: Ferguson grand jury has made decision

  1. #281
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Reports: Ferguson grand jury has made decision

    What happened was the fault of the victim for being a thief and a bully, and the fault of the officer for not taking better control of the situation instead of firing randomly which seems clear, having fired 12 shots.

    Despite Michael Brown being a thief and a bully he should not have died for this crime. And the officer appears to have been poorly trained, which is not his fault either.

    The gun culture and strong-arm tactics among the police has to change, just as some areas in the culture of the Black community must change also. This is about culture, not race, in both of these communities.

    Gun Control :: SteynOnline

  2. #282
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Reports: Ferguson grand jury has made decision

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    That's not what I said, so your "you are right" is flawed.
    You said it would be a totally different matter if it were a white wall street exec... And you are right. I then listed specific reasons why you were right when you said it would be tottally different.

  3. #283
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Reports: Ferguson grand jury has made decision

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    What happened was the fault of the victim for being a thief and a bully, and the fault of the officer for not taking better control of the situation instead of firing randomly which seems clear, having fired 12 shots.

    Despite Michael Brown being a thief and a bully he should not have died for this crime. And the officer appears to have been poorly trained, which is not his fault either.

    The gun culture and strong-arm tactics among the police has to change, just as some areas in the culture of the Black community must change also. This is about culture, not race, in both of these communities.

    Gun Control :: SteynOnline
    I agree with what you have said here. The truth is that I really have very little taste with the type of culture that has developed in the black community, and you are exactly right, that must change. That said, there was enough evidence to bring this issue to trial. Whether there was enough evidence to convict, I don't know.

  4. #284
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Reports: Ferguson grand jury has made decision

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    You said it would be a totally different matter if it were a white wall street exec... And you are right. I then listed specific reasons why you were right when you said it would be tottally different.
    You said in the same circumstances but a white being killed the cop would get off. That's not what I said, which is why your "you are right" is flawed.

  5. #285
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,388

    Re: Reports: Ferguson grand jury has made decision

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    1- the American middle class grew from a period of time. Now it is shrinking. The black middle class is part of that.
    So African American middle class is shrinking along with the rest of middle class? Not BECAUSE they are black. But because they are middle class.

    2- the condition of African Americans compared to whites has been long and fully documented. I would refer you to either book which pretty much uses much of the same data

    AMERICA IN BLACK AND WHITE by Stephan & Abagail Thernstrom
    that gives you a liberal slant

    THE END OF RACISM by Dinesh D'Souza
    which gives you a conservative slant

    but both present much the same data documenting beyond any argument or dispute the effects of slavery and Jim Crow on living African Americans today.
    The "effects" that say what? African Americans cannot be middle class? That they are limited by their skin color?

    Is that what you believe? That blacks cannot make it to the middle class?
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  6. #286
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Reports: Ferguson grand jury has made decision

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    What happened was the fault of the victim for being a thief and a bully, and the fault of the officer for not taking better control of the situation instead of firing randomly which seems clear, having fired 12 shots.

    Despite Michael Brown being a thief and a bully he should not have died for this crime. And the officer appears to have been poorly trained, which is not his fault either.

    The gun culture and strong-arm tactics among the police has to change, just as some areas in the culture of the Black community must change also. This is about culture, not race, in both of these communities.

    Gun Control :: SteynOnline
    I agree with much of this post.

  7. #287
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Reports: Ferguson grand jury has made decision

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    You said in the same circumstances but a white being killed the cop would get off. That's not what I said, which is why your "you are right" is flawed.
    Ah, if your claim was that the cop would then be charged.. Then you are wrong... Sure, the cop would still get off.. But few would even know or care about it. Some hypothetical white executive stealing and pushing around a store clerk, then assaulting a police officer then getting shot where the evidence supports he kept coming at the cop? It would be old news and no one would care.

  8. #288
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Reports: Ferguson grand jury has made decision

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Ah, if your claim was that the cop would then be charged.. Then you are wrong... Sure, the cop would still get off.. But few would even know or care about it. Some hypothetical white executive stealing and pushing around a store clerk, then assaulting a police officer then getting shot where the evidence supports he kept coming at the cop? It would be old news and no one would care.
    What I said was that if it were NYC and a black cop killed a white Wall Street executive and there was not indictment, there would be an outrage.

  9. #289
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,078

    Re: Reports: Ferguson grand jury has made decision

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    So African American middle class is shrinking along with the rest of middle class? Not BECAUSE they are black. But because they are middle class.



    The "effects" that say what? African Americans cannot be middle class? That they are limited by their skin color?

    Is that what you believe? That blacks cannot make it to the middle class?
    Where do you come up with stuff?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #290
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Reports: Ferguson grand jury has made decision

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    What I said was that if it were NYC and a black cop killed a white Wall Street executive and there was not indictment, there would be an outrage.
    Then you aren't even making sense.. Since that wouldn't be an entirely "different matter", that would be the exact same matter. There is "an outrage" when it was a black man being killed in this manner, so how could it be a "different matter" if it's a white guiy being killed and there was still "an outrage". Look at the protests, the riots, much of the media coverage and most of the celebrity tweets.

    But no, hard to argue hypotheticals, but in the circumstances you are describing, few would care. There may be a lawsuit by the family, but that would still be just as difficult for them to win as it will be in this case.

Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •