Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 325

Thread: Reports: Ferguson grand jury has made decision

  1. #111
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Reports: Ferguson grand jury has made decision

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    What injustice?


    The wrong horse was backed, The "gentle giant" was a thug, charged the cop. got shot. That should have been the end of it. Instead black owned stores, and EVEN THE ONE THE DUDE ROBBED" got looted and burned.
    Perceived injustice.

    My point is not to determine innocence or guilt, it is to explain that individual instances of perceived racial injustice constitute a threat to blacks collectively, as a result of systemic privilege. Similar instances regarding perceived injustice regarding a white victim do not threaten whites collectively, as there is no systemic privilege adversely affecting whites to be perpetuated.

    Given perceived injustice... Regarding blacks, it's a threat. Regarding whites, it's not. That is the reason blacks riot and whites do not regarding instances of perceived injustice.

  2. #112
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,698

    Re: Reports: Ferguson grand jury has made decision

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    There was a lot of talk about "outsiders" coming to Ferguson to cause problems and riot. There was also talk about cops out of uniform agitating the protestors and egging them on. With all the threats of violence and rioting after a verdict is announced it seems very strange that they would release the verdict at night...making it difficult to identify anyone who riot or commit violence. Which kind of leads me to believe the cops might have something to do the rioting last night.



    Anyway, I quit following the story a few months ago. The only question I really have is why do some in the media keep saying that this grand jury was "different" than other grand juries....and even after they explain the difference....I still don't see it.
    I've heard a lot of people complaining about the timing of the release. I'm going to speculate just a bit on this but I suspect that choice of timing was at least partially determined after consultation with various "community leaders" who have been a part of this process all along. There also weren't a whole lot of choices. It could have been announced:
    1. Mid Afternoon while the streets were filled with shoppers and families with children. If violence broke out then a lot of people would have been endangered;
    2. Early morning which would have made it difficult for a lot of the protesters that wanted to be involved to participate;
    3. Later in the evening (which it was) thus not making it too early or too late for protesters to participate, after most shoppers have gone home, after traffic has slowed for the night.

    Sure, option #3 opens the door for property crime but only if the "community leaders" can't convince the crowds to maintain calm. It also lessens the chance of non-involved bystanders getting caught up in activities if things go sour. Looking at it from a worst case scenario, you'll expect property damage but have mitigated a lot of the possibility of assaults and other crimes against people.
    Last edited by Lutherf; 11-25-14 at 05:49 PM.

  3. #113
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,948
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Reports: Ferguson grand jury has made decision

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    There was a lot of talk about "outsiders" coming to Ferguson to cause problems and riot. There was also talk about cops out of uniform agitating the protestors and egging them on. With all the threats of violence and rioting after a verdict is announced it seems very strange that they would release the verdict at night...making it difficult to identify anyone who riot or commit violence. Which kind of leads me to believe the cops might have something to do the rioting last night.



    Anyway, I quit following the story a few months ago. The only question I really have is why do some in the media keep saying that this grand jury was "different" than other grand juries....and even after they explain the difference....I still don't see it.
    I've been thinking about that, the timing of the presser and leasing the GJ decision.

    If it were during the day, you'd have all that normal business and work traffic driving around, in the middle of riots. Very likely that am innocent would be pulled their cars and beaten to death, ala King riots and the truck driver (King riots I believe it was).

    Given that logic, the only thing to do would be to hold it until Saturday, Thanksgiving weekend. Errmmm. No, I'd not want that either.

    When's a good time to announce when the riots should commence? Is there really a good time for that?
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  4. #114
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: Reports: Ferguson grand jury has made decision

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    I've heard a lot of people complaining about the timing of the release. I'm going to speculate just a bit on this but I suspect that choice of timing was at least partially determined after consultation with various "community leaders" who have been a part of this process all along. There also weren't a whole lot of choices. It could have been announced:
    1. Mid Afternoon while the streets were filled with shoppers and families with children. If violence broke out then a lot of people would have been endangered;
    2. Early morning which would have made it difficult for a lot of the protesters that wanted to be involved to participate;
    3. Later in the evening (which it was) thus not making it too early or too late for protesters to participate, after most shoppers have gone home, after traffic has slowed for the night.

    Sure, option #3 opens the door for property crime but only if the "community leaders" can't convince the crowds to maintain calm. It also lessens the chance of non-involved bystanders getting caught up in activities if things go sour. Looking at it from a worst case scenario, you'll expect property damage but have mitigated a lot of the possibility of assaults and other crimes against people.

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    I've been thinking about that, the timing of the presser and leasing the GJ decision.

    If it were during the day, you'd have all that normal business and work traffic driving around, in the middle of riots. Very likely that am innocent would be pulled their cars and beaten to death, ala King riots and the truck driver (King riots I believe it was).

    Given that logic, the only thing to do would be to hold it until Saturday, Thanksgiving weekend. Errmmm. No, I'd not want that either.

    When's a good time to announce when the riots should commence? Is there really a good time for that?


    You've made some very valid points, Lutherf (and you too, ehornberger). I would also add that most peaceful protestors would likely leave or have stayed home if there were violence (which there was) so rounding up the troublemakers might not have been that difficult after all.

    The police chief did seem pretty proud that no one was seriously hurt. There was some mention that a lot of the trouble makers were 14 year olds.......which suggests that the Ferguson community needs to do some self reflection on child raising....as well as local tax reform.
    Last edited by Moot; 11-25-14 at 06:02 PM.

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: Reports: Ferguson grand jury has made decision

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    I've heard a lot of people complaining about the timing of the release. I'm going to speculate just a bit on this but I suspect that choice of timing was at least partially determined after consultation with various "community leaders" who have been a part of this process all along. There also weren't a whole lot of choices. It could have been announced:
    1. Mid Afternoon while the streets were filled with shoppers and families with children. If violence broke out then a lot of people would have been endangered;
    2. Early morning which would have made it difficult for a lot of the protesters that wanted to be involved to participate;
    3. Later in the evening (which it was) thus not making it too early or too late for protesters to participate, after most shoppers have gone home, after traffic has slowed for the night.

    Sure, option #3 opens the door for property crime but only if the "community leaders" can't convince the crowds to maintain calm. It also lessens the chance of non-involved bystanders getting caught up in activities if things go sour. Looking at it from a worst case scenario, you'll expect property damage but have mitigated a lot of the possibility of assaults and other crimes against people.
    Or, they knew that if it was the night then the thugs would be able to loot and burn the city under the cover of darkness exacerbating the protest.

    It's known that most of the time there are what's referred to as agents provocateur, who are paid to join the protest and be violent to provide justification for a heavy handed response against the legitimate protesters.

    The fact that they waited at least a week longer than expected to say that they were not going to charge the cop. Hell, anyone that saw the evidence knew long ago that, in this case, the shooting was justifiable. If only by the measure that cops get away with far worse than normal people, and the case was only ambiguous.

    How come the race pimps always grab onto these ambiguous cases? (Like trayvon Martin case) while there are plenty of cut and dry cases that better illustrate the injustice these people are fighting (or in the case of the looters pretend to be fighting for)??

    Could it be because it is better used as a divisive topic?

    What's that term again : divide and _______?

  6. #116
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,388

    Re: Reports: Ferguson grand jury has made decision

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Why can't you understand basic sociological fact?

    An instance of perceived injustice is of no threat to whites collectively, it is to blacks - because of the existence of systemic privilege.
    It is NOT a threat to blacks unless blacks decide to burn down the community in which they reside. The whole concept that the system unfairly treats blacks is BS. They have the same options open as the rest of us. They are entitled to NOTHING more than that. They get equal opportunity, not equality. There is a difference. The first is fair, the second demands special treatment for skin color.

    If anything the system is unfair to those with less money. But that isn't your argument.


    And it's not "the people who think he's innocent". It's hooligans and gangs.
    Agreed.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  7. #117
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Reports: Ferguson grand jury has made decision

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    It is NOT a threat to blacks unless blacks decide to burn down the community in which they reside. The whole concept that the system unfairly treats blacks is BS. They have the same options open as the rest of us. They are entitled to NOTHING more than that. They get equal opportunity, not equality. There is a difference. The first is fair, the second demands special treatment for skin color.

    If anything the system is unfair to those with less money. But that isn't your argument.




    Agreed.
    Perceived injustice is a threat to blacks collectively because systemic privilege exists.

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Reports: Ferguson grand jury has made decision

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Perceived injustice is a threat to blacks collectively because systemic privilege exists.
    Chris Rock had it nailed.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PJF0YE-x4

  9. #119
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Reports: Ferguson grand jury has made decision

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I don't do random youtube clips. But you do know he's a comedian, right?

  10. #120
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Reports: Ferguson grand jury has made decision

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I don't do random youtube clips. But you do know he's a comedian, right?
    It's not random and using comedy it speaks to your attempt to segment off the black population into some set upon and victimized group.

Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •